Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does your ibook makes clicking sound near the moden

Does your ibook makes clicking sound near the moden
iExcel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 04:54 PM

My ibook make a clicking sound once in a while...the sound is coming from the upper left�near the modem...is it normal? or should i take it back to have the computer check it out?

pat++
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by iExcel:
My ibook make a clicking sound once in a while...the sound is coming from the upper left�near the modem...is it normal? or should i take it back to have the computer check it out?
It's NOT normal. Take it back to your dealer.

sillyrabbitt
Dec 29, 2002, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by iExcel:
mine makes a clicking sound once in a while but i think its the cdr drive??? not sure but i think when it wakes up from sleep it spins once.
ibook,800,30gig,12.1",640mb,10.2.4, Airport

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2002, 01:03 AM

Mine makes a clicking sound from the CD drive. It clicks continuously a little faster than once/sec. It starts anywhere from a minute to 30 minutes after waking/starting up. It only happens when there is no CD in the drive and will stop if press the eject key (or sleep then wake the computer).

MartiNZ
Senior User
Dec 30, 2002, 06:09 PM

My new 800 combo makes a ticking sound occasionally, that I've decided is coming from the hard drive, but I guess it isn't necessarily. It really just sounds like it's trying to run a clock in there with really random seconds - I've taken to ignoring it, and it's good to hear I'm not alone, but I got a bit worried looking at the 'hard drive clicking' thread in the PowerMac forum.

Anyway, my previous 600 combo had no such issue.

snerdini
Senior User
Dec 30, 2002, 09:03 PM

I've got it...on my new 800...don't think it's a problem (seems to coincide with hard drive access). Doesn't sound abnormal to me, but I'm going to keep my eye on it, just in case.

Forum Links
Forum Rules