Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > welcome to armageddon! US troops "shifts" forces globally

welcome to armageddon! US troops "shifts" forces globally
Lerkfish
Aug 15, 2004, 11:51 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/24hour/w...-9167728c.html

Rumsfeld briefs Russians on troop redeployments

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN, ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON (AP) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld briefed his Russian counterpart over the weekend on U.S. plans to shift its forces stationed around the globe, in some cases potentially bringing them closer to Russia's borders.

Rumsfeld and Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov met over a two-day period in St. Petersburg on a variety of security issues, including U.S. plans to reorient its forces away from its Cold War alignment and toward one aimed at fighting Islamic terrorist groups. President Bush is expected to discuss his plans for the military on Monday at a speech in Cincinnati.

Rumsfeld said in the coming years, forces will be leaving Germany during the worldwide shift. Some U.S. military units will return home, while the United States is expected to sign access agreements with new allies in Asia and elsewhere. Some new bases may have only a small regular American presence, but can be expanded rapidly in a crisis.
Note the bolded section....two observations, is invading Iran the "October Surprise", and why is Rumsfeld telling Russia our long term goals when no one is telling the US?

If it walks like WWIII, talks like WWIII, and acts like WWIII, its a lame duck.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
http://www.newsobserver.com/24hour/w...-9167728c.html

Note the bolded section....two observations, is invading Iran the "October Surprise", and why is Rumsfeld telling Russia our long term goals when no one is telling the US?

If it walks like WWIII, talks like WWIII, and acts like WWIII, its a lame duck.
Hey genius, there's already a thread on this.
Um, I don't see what that has to do with Armageddon, but go on and listen to Coast to Coast.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 16, 2004, 12:33 AM

Yes, we have thread about this. Minus the paranoid delusions.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 12:36 AM

Yup. That's more redundant that a communist college professor.

Uh�Lerk�you're paranoid. Too much Art Bell. Or George now.

"I tell you what, I am madder than a skinhead watching the Jeffersons"
[/larrycableguyjoke]

Lerkfish  (op)
Aug 16, 2004, 01:31 AM

my sincere apologies, I did not know there was already a thread on this topic.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 01:35 AM

It happens. But the original thread has been up for a couple hours�
But the whole bug-eyed "world is coming to an end�HALLIBURTON�this week" thing was kinda funny.
j/k

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 06:53 AM

The war is on then. I'm a pacifist, but I beleve in the fairness of self-defence. If they ever go into Iran, or Syria, I hope Bush and his cronies burn in hell, forever.
I hope the UK has the balls to tell the US to bugger off, already many politicians are telling Blair to not join Bush in anymore of his conquests, I hope he heeds those remarks.

Anyway, here's a toast to Iran standing up for themselves.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2004, 07:09 AM

we've always been at war with eurasia...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2004, 07:10 AM

I so hope Lerkfish is wrong for once.

Lerkfish  (op)
Aug 16, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I ALWAYS hope I"m wrong on these things...but sadly, Bush keeps validating my worst case scenarios.And, he doesn't give me much hope.

OSX Abuser
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 11:14 AM

When do we roll into Iran and or Syria??
Reality is the playground of the unimaginative

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I think you're safe

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
I hope the UK has the balls to tell the US to bugger off, already many politicians are telling Blair to not join Bush in anymore of his conquests, I hope he heeds those remarks.

Anyway, here's a toast to Iran standing up for themselves.
Conquests? I was not aware that the US has increased in size recently.

Sounds like a conspiracy to me. How do we know that he said Islam???

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
I think you're safe

Considering his prior track record, I think we're ALL unsafe.

-s*

Lerkfish  (op)
Aug 16, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by OSX Abuser:
When do we roll into Iran and or Syria??
I'm guessing October. what's your guess?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
I'm guessing October. what's your guess?
Mmmm well if it is supposed to happen it wil� be before the election. Nothing like a good war to get re-elected in the U.S.A. apparently. I don't know if Bush can risk waiting until post elections.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Lerkfish  (op)
Aug 16, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Mmmm well if it is supposed to happen it wil� be before the election. Nothing like a good war to get re-elected in the U.S.A. apparently. I don't know if Bush can risk waiting until post elections.
The republicans are sweating. That's why the Swift boat attacks, attacking Theresa heinz-kerry, etc, and the full court press. they have access to more accurate polls and they realize they are losing the youth vote quickly, and that vets aren't firmly in their pocket like they'd want. There are many veterans issues they have trampled on, and even though right wing vets may blindly support them to a point, they've reached that point with overextension of the guard units in hostile Iraq, not addressing vet benefits domestically, and any vet worth his salt knows that Iraq is a quagmire that is rapidly producing bodies instead of results. That's why they're hitting kerry hard on his war record, playing to the vet's outrage, hoping that will push them over.
In order to see where they're hurting, you have to see where they're hitting: Veterans, safety issues, terrorism alerts, it all adds up to one thing: embroiling us in a major conflict right before the election, so that people (they think) will be relunctant to switch horses midapocalypse. It might work for them, after all, but I think they've squandered what little credibility they might have had, and the swift boat liars are so easily debunked.

The neocons have failed in Iraq to be on the schedule they wanted, so they know the paleoconservatives will need some sort of standard to rally on...it can't be Iraq, because that's not working.

Also, they can't afford to mount a ground war in Iran, there's not enough time to get in place, I imagine the beginning will be massive "shock and awe" bombings of high yield munition bombs -- MOABS, and even "tactical" nukes....bunker busters.

Its going to be a really hot time and no fun for Tehran....
I think the original plan was to defrost Osama, but I think even they realize that would fall flat.

I'm thinking that THEY are thinking the only sure option they have to hold onto power is full tilt assualt on Iran. The rhetoric underpinnings are already in place, they've already whispered about "terra" connections.

Forum Links
Forum Rules