Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > silencing protest: photo in the act....

silencing protest: photo in the act....
Lerkfish
Aug 17, 2004, 03:46 PM

An unidentified supporter of President Bush tries to silence protester Kendra Lloyd-Knox (right) outside Southridge High School in Beaverton. Elsewhere in Portland, supporters of Democratic candidate Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., rallied on the waterfront.

interesting how the Bush supporter is unidentified.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 03:50 PM

Did you hear that?
*The boots are coming*
It's a neocon conspiracy.
Lerk, go search "violent protesters."

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 03:52 PM

In a couple of weeks, we're going to see tons of pix of "peaceful" lefties exercising their first amendment rights. Hint : RNC

Lerkfish  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
In a couple of weeks, we're going to see tons of pix of "peaceful" lefties exercising their first amendment rights. Hint : RNC

interesting...you have advance knowledge of future violence? Now why would THAT be?

perhaps you tipped your hand a bit, there.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 03:57 PM

Hint:
Look Here!! Here!

Find the message!

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
interesting...you have advance knowledge of future violence? Now why would THAT be?

perhaps you tipped your hand a bit, there.
Yep, there's lefties involved, and we already know what they're planning. And as to how I would know that, they have said so themselves, and I do follow the news every once in awhile.

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 04:12 PM

Another conspiracy thread, POSTKOWNT +1.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:16 PM

I'm no lawyer, but isn't that considered assault? Even if not assault, that woman should have been busted.

Voicing one's opinion is one thing. Using physical force in an attempt to silence another is a whole different ballgame.

BlackGriffen

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:19 PM

Tell that to the 60's.
Nice double standard for silencing.

Mrs_Vod[k]a
Aug 17, 2004, 04:20 PM

protesters have become very irresponsible and have abused their first ammendment right... time round 'em all up and put 'em in the cage, like they did at the DNC!

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 17, 2004, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
I'm no lawyer, but isn't that considered assault? Even if not assault, that woman should have been busted.

Voicing one's opinion is one thing. Using physical force in an attempt to silence another is a whole different ballgame.

BlackGriffen
I agree, she should be busted. All violence used by protesters should be frowned upon and action taken. What this means is that approximately 4 Bush supporters will get arrested, while hundreds, if not thousands of anti-Bush leftists will get put in chains.

( Last edited by PacHead; Aug 17, 2004 at 04:30 PM. )

Lerkfish  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Mrs_Vod[k]a:
protesters have become very irresponsible and have abused their first ammendment right... time round 'em all up and put 'em in the cage, like they did at the DNC!
FWIW, the "cage" was the work of the security forces directed by the city of Boston, not the DNC

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:30 PM

DNC=convention, Boston, MA.

Lerkfish  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 04:30 PM

BlackGriffen
yes, its assault, which is why it is iinteresting the assaulter was not named.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:31 PM

CONSPIRACY BY TEH NEOCON MEDIA!
Many people who do **** like that aren't named. Even Kobe's trash accuser isn't named. IT keeps the people away.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:41 PM

Have you seen this one? Apparently, Peter Sessions (R, congress) is a petty thief, and he has the police report to prove it.

Why he wasn't arrested is understandable. Why he wasn't given a ticket is a mystery, though.

BlackGriffen

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:44 PM

Yup, all the Republican politicians are guilty of theft and let of because of TEH VAST RIGHT WING UNDERGROUND OPPRESSIVE CONSPIRACY!1!
Yup, no Democrats get away with stuff either, ask Ted "the Swimmer" Kennedy.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 04:49 PM

BlackGriffen
Not if your pro-bush.

No court is going to allow that to enter it's grace. Just to much controvercy behind it. "activist judges" making assault illegal. Bush would then need an ammendment to ensure assault remains legal, since it's a core american value. Especially during an election year. No court in the country would let that see the light of day.

Right now, abuse is legal unless it's muder. Since nobody is going to do anything about it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2004, 04:50 PM

BlackGriffen
and one saw ONE picture from the whole exchange. Oh brother... For all we know the woman on the right "assaulted" the woman on the left first.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
[shrill bull5hit removed]
Yup, no Democrats get away with stuff either, ask Ted "the Swimmer" Kennedy.
Have you ever considered that I might believe that the Democrats shouldn't be able to get away with crap, either?

This instance is interesting among cases of law breaking, though, because it is theft in a direct attempt to interfere with the free operation of our electoral process. It shows a marked disregard for American traditions and disrespect for the free will of the electorate.

I have no doubt that there are Democrats like that (I know of one through an acquaintance of mine), and they shouldn't be able to get away with it.

BlackGriffen

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 17, 2004, 04:51 PM

FWIW, the "cage" was the work of the security forces directed by the city of Boston, not the DNC
Same liberals, different name. LMAO!!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 04:53 PM

An unidentified supporter of President Bush tries to silence protester Kendra Lloyd-Knox (right) outside Southridge High School in Beaverton. Elsewhere in Portland, supporters of Democratic candidate Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., rallied on the waterfront.

That photo is doctored.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Dr.HermanG.:
That photo is doctored.
Evidence? Things like repeated people, digital artifacts of doctoring, etc?

Or is this just FUD?

BlackGriffen

Edit: captain type-o strikes again!

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 05:02 PM

I think Peter Griffin is right for once. The shadow on the blind-lookn lady is coming off of another person, the lighting on the hand looks fine. Then again, where the other woman's hand is on the old one's, it does look a little weird�
Looks like that woman is blind.
Yeah, it looks very real to me. Griffin +1.

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 05:04 PM

Evidence? Things like repeated people, digital artifacts of doctoring, etc?

Or is this just FUD?

BlackGriffen

Edit: captain type-o strikes again!
(A) The Bush speech was invitation only. Highly unlikely that protestors would be there.

(B) Southridge High School doesn't have any trees around it.

If anything, that's a staged photo from Tom McCall Waterfront Park.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 05:07 PM

Oh. He might be right. I thought you guys were saying like digitally doctored, like putting that Ozz-look-a-like in the picture with the other people. Woops.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 05:10 PM

(A) The Bush speech was invitation only. Highly unlikely that protestors would be there.
You know where Robert Francis Kennedy was assasinated? There was a guestlist there too. Doesn't mean people who aren't supporters don't get in either.

Various famous politicians have been pied in the face during invitational events.

Just makes it more likely to be real.

LoganCharles
Banned
Aug 17, 2004, 05:20 PM

Looks like a good cat fight to me.

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 05:20 PM

Security's much tighter now than it was decades ago as well. If there's a confrontation somewhere it's going to be in an open area open to the public, say, Tom McCall Waterfront park where anyone who wanted to could see the Kerry speech today.

Lerkfish  (op)
Aug 17, 2004, 05:26 PM

That photo is doctored.
LOL! are you accusing the Portland Tribune of running doctored photos on their front page?

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 05:26 PM

LOL! are you accusing the Portland Tribune of running doctored photos on their front page?
I drive by that school every morning on the way to working in Tualatin. I think I know what the hell it looks like.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 05:31 PM

Security's much tighter now than it was decades ago as well. If there's a confrontation somewhere it's going to be in an open area open to the public, say, Tom McCall Waterfront park where anyone who wanted to could see the Kerry speech today.
I see no problem. The attribution says it's outside, and the pic is clearly outside.

BG

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 05:34 PM

Clearly if there's a political point to make by a biased reporter (and to fulfill the conspiracy theorists here) then it makes a big difference where it really took place.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 05:41 PM

I drive by that school every morning on the way to working in Tualatin. I think I know what the hell it looks like.
Smackdown.

That photo does look a little weird around the hands... Something about the lighting is not right. Add in the fact that those pople dont even seem concerned, I am guessing it was staged/faked.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 05:53 PM

Clearly if there's a political point to make by a biased reporter (and to fulfill the conspiracy theorists here) then it makes a big difference where it really took place.
My apologies, I wasn't clear that I was pointing out that the security objection is moot.

BG

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 05:54 PM

Yes, on further inspection, it appears fake.
1. On the hand of the young woman, the bottom is pointing toward the old one. The difference in size is�odd.
2. The lighting on the young girl's hand is very odd. Between the index finger and thumb (the really stretchy thin part), there is no appearance of a line between the old woman's hand and the young woman's arm. Very weird.
3. The crowd is just standing there. It looks like they are waiting for it to happen. IF there was a real conflict, people wouldn't be lined around the two.
4. Another thing about the youngn's hand. It is pointing at a direction that would be weird. The old's arm is coming at a slight angle, and the youngn's is straight, so I don't see how her arm could be there like that. It also looks like the watch blends in�

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 17, 2004, 06:05 PM

yes, its assault, which is why it is iinteresting the assaulter was not named.
Not in the state of New York it isn't. For it to be assault the re has to be pronounced physical injury. That qualifies as harassment. I don't know the laws in Portland, so I won't say it's the same everywhere.

On the run up to the war, when all the protesters where out full force, the only arrest locally was an anti-war protester that ran up and ripped a banner down that read "We support our president" and then punched the senior citizen that was holding it in the face. I never saw that make the news outside of the local channels. And before we get into all the "The conservative must have done blah blah blah" crap, all of the witnesses, most of them being anti-war types, testified that the attack was unprovoked, including the organizer of the rally.

Do we have any more information about this? Could it be that maybe they were bith Kerry supporters, and the young girl was using profanity, and the older one didn't care for that sort of talk? There are many possible explanations that don't involve right-wing conspiracies to silence the left.
Nemo me impune lacesset

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by CreepingDeath:
Yes, on further inspection, it appears fake.
1. On the hand of the young woman, the bottom is pointing toward the old one. The difference in size is�odd.
I see nothing odd about the hand position. She looks like she's bringing it up in a reflexive defensive gesture. The difference in size is also quite natural - look at the position of her thumbs. The one is wrapped around an arm, maximizing apparent size, the other is in front of her palm holding her glasses, minimizing apparent size.

2. The lighting on the young girl's hand is very odd. Between the index finger and thumb (the really stretchy thin part), there is no appearance of a line between the old woman's hand and the young woman's arm. Very weird.
They aren't cartoons. You'll only see a line if there's a sharp difference in color and/or brightness. More importantly, between the woman's watch and the girls hand is about one or two pixels. In other words, the hand and arm can easily be blurred together under those circumstances.

3. The crowd is just standing there. It looks like they are waiting for it to happen. IF there was a real conflict, people wouldn't be lined around the two.
Judging from the reflexive defensive posture of the girl, the woman just reached up, probably pretty quickly. Two people have cameras (note the one in the background), and the person behind the girl is attempting to assist her with her balance. If the crowd is predominantly Bush supporters, I wouldn't be surprised by the non-reaction. Not saying they would approve, though there are a lot of rather satisfied looks in the background, but that people tend to butt out of such things nowadays.

4. Another thing about the youngn's hand. It is pointing at a direction that would be weird. The old's arm is coming at a slight angle, and the youngn's is straight, so I don't see how her arm could be there like that. It also looks like the watch blends in�
I don't see anything unnatural about their arm positions. And the watch blending is nothing more than a lack of resolution.

BlackGriffen

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 06:22 PM

Ok, I stand corrected. After phoning some colleagues at the BPD I managed to see some video and photos of the incident in question.

Ironically, the PT article fails to mention the scuffles that some of the Kerry anti-Bush protesters caused after the motorcade left, the attendees started leaving, and stuff was thrown at them. In short, there was one Bush supporter who caused trouble and was led off by BPD and there were about a dozen Kerry supporters who caused minor scuffles.

Demonhood
Administrator
Aug 17, 2004, 06:24 PM

found this article
and this post calling for witnesses.

either way, one rogue Bush supporter does not constitute a unified effort to quash free speech.
and CreepingDeath, Dr.HermanG., knock of the instant "OMG, it's a conspiracy!!" nonsense. if you don't like the post (or poster), you don't have to reply. but if you do, i expect it to not be a continuing personal attack.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 06:26 PM

My bad, it just seemed that the photo looked a little weird.
And if you're going to complain about a conspiracy, take a look at some other threads around here�

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 17, 2004, 06:28 PM

God help us, someone might commit suicide over personal attacks

demograph68
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2004, 06:32 PM

God help us, someone might commit suicide over personal attacks
You're being overly defensive. Chill out.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 09:46 PM

It's the end of the world, as we know it! It's the end of the world, as we know it! It's the end of the world, as we know it...

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2004, 10:37 PM

It looks to me like the woman on the left is a faith healer and the woman on the right has just been cured of liver cancer or something. I know this from watching Benny Hinn, who's quite good at it.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 12:09 AM

Maybe the girl deserved to be slapped?

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by greenamp:
Maybe the girl deserved to be slapped?

Maybe the oldie didn't like someone outdoing her in cleavage.

Some what's this thread about again? Old woman putting hand on young woman?

[Attention! There is another subliminal ad here! Buy sum viagra!!!! NOW! Vote Communist! Vote Republican!!! WOOOOOO! Get me a sandmich! Git R Done! Taters! I want my Metallica shirt! Oink! Bababooey!!!! Mein! Mein! Mein Soda! Jolt! Al lthe sugar and twice the caffeine! Vote RNC! Buy my stuff! LALALALALALALAAAAAA!

^
^
Message.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2004, 12:28 AM

I mean seriously, I dont condone violence in any way, but Im sure the young girl was slingng her share of verbal assaults againt the old lady.

Now before the libbys jump me I am not a republican and I do think the old lady was wrong for hitting the younger girl.

Slightly off subject...

does anyone else notice just how divided the country is this go around? The divisions are so strong, they are borderline on violent eruptions.

skeet skeet skeet!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Aug 18, 2004, 12:37 AM

So while you ridicule the libbies on the board here for coming up with "conspiracy theories," you're totally cool with coming up with your own conspiracy theories? That's hypocritical.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Dr.HermanG.
Senior User
Aug 18, 2004, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
So while you ridicule the libbies on the board here for coming up with "conspiracy theories," you're totally cool with coming up with your own conspiracy theories? That's hypocritical.
Just wondering why the most liberal newspaper in Portland only chose to focus on a Bush supporter in a "face-off" with a Kerry supporter. Given that there were more incidents of Kerry supporters doing the same thing after the Bush speech it seems a worthy question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules