Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook Aluminium Corrosion

PowerBook Aluminium Corrosion
M.A.S.
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 12:12 PM

My 17" Rev A has developed almost a line of corrosion just to the right of the trackpad!

At first i thought it was dirt, but on closer inspection (with a magnifying glass) it looks like chips in paint. (and yes i realise they are not painted) I've heard that sweat can cause this but on mine these 'chips' are in a line to the right of the trackpad going to the edge and about 1-cm from the front edge. Now to me it looks like the lid has caused this, as the lip of the lid is the same distance from the edge as the marks.

Just wondered if anyone else has/had this problem and as it's still covered under warranty (through the shop i bought it from) do you think this would be covered?
� 17" PowerBook �

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2005, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by M.A.S.
My 17" Rev A has developed almost a line of corrosion just to the right of the trackpad!

At first i thought it was dirt, but on closer inspection (with a magnifying glass) it looks like chips in paint. (and yes i realise they are not painted) I've heard that sweat can cause this but on mine these 'chips' are in a line to the right of the trackpad going to the edge and about 1-cm from the front edge. Now to me it looks like the lid has caused this, as the lip of the lid is the same distance from the edge as the marks.

Just wondered if anyone else has/had this problem and as it's still covered under warranty (through the shop i bought it from) do you think this would be covered?
Aluminum is naturally subject to corrosion, so I don't think you have a warranty issue here. There are other threads devoted to this subject and I came up with one solution which you can view here.

This has been working for me for over a month now.

Roadracr
G4 PB15, 1.67 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM, 100 GB HD
G4 iMac20, 1.25 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 160 MB HD

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2005, 09:52 PM

I have the wristrug and it works.. feels nice too..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

M.A.S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2005, 06:52 PM

I don't think it's my hands.

It's in a line parallel to the edge (in a kind of stop start manner for 10cm) and looks to be caused by the edge of the screen when the lid is closed. This is the only place it's occurring?
� 17" PowerBook �

himself
Mac Elite
May 19, 2005, 08:54 PM

Does the lid touch the laptop body when closed? It may be moisture residue from your hands (or who knows where) that accumulates at the edge of the screen bezel when you close the lid. It doesn't take much to start the corrosion process, and over a long enough period of time it will start to become noticeable (like it is right now).
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2005, 11:42 PM

Aluminum is relatively inert and won't "corrode" as you would think like rust on its own. Something on your hands likely caused it, repetitive exposure to sweat, etc.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

M.A.S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 08:27 AM

No The lid and body don't meet, but there is a small gap so when I move it they do meet.

It may be sweat from my hands, but not directly because as I've said it is in a line, the same distance from the edge as the screen is from the edge of the lid. The main reason im asking is because my PB is still under warranty and i want it FIXED!

Also I've started to notice (on start-up with the blank screen) that the back light it stronger along the bottom edge, and occasionally when the display goes from the "welcome to Macintosh" screen to the desktop it goes black and a mess of colours flashes on screen which looks 'organic' if you know what i mean rather than something being displayed by the system.

Time dig out that warranty i feel!
� 17" PowerBook �

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 20, 2005, 09:21 AM

Do you have pictures?

M.A.S.  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 07:09 PM

I don't have my camera with me right now, but i'll post some later today or tomorrow.
� 17" PowerBook �

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
Do you have pictures?
I have a similar problem, here's a link to what mine looks like currently.

http://www.shadesofblack.org/lj/blackspots.jpg

(The larger blurry spots are from dust on the sensor of my camera at a small aperturee, ignore them... but the sharper black spots are the corrosion.)

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2005, 01:28 AM

u know i turn off my computer every couple of days and clean it down with a warm hot rag (with not too much water) and ud be suprised how much gunk shows up
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

ender2002
Senior User
May 22, 2005, 01:28 AM

where are those cool japanese stickon pads? thats a good preventative

xfesty
May 23, 2005, 12:40 PM

i have this too, i'll post pics soon.

xfesty
May 23, 2005, 12:51 PM

not quite as clear as the other photo above, but you can at least see:

http://www.computeraddictions.com.au/albook.jpg

i've always assumed it's because my wrist is there; maybe related to sweat or something? anybody know of any touch up paint we could use?

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by xfesty

i've always assumed it's because my wrist is there; maybe related to sweat or something? anybody know of any touch up paint we could use?
Those are actual physical chips in the Aluminum. Unlike the TiBooks, there's no paint on these suckers.

vcutag
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by xfesty

That's actual pitting of the material, there's nothing to do but replace it or cover it up. I went ahead and ordered the aforementioned Japanese pads (Wrist Rugs), mainly because my skin gets irritated easily by rubbing on the aluminum surface (I think I might have a very mild allergic reaction to it), and because I want to put some padding between the lid (which I think is causing the line of pitting) and the body when the laptop's closed. I use a keyboard cover, but that only covers the keyboard.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2005, 10:22 PM

i use pda screen protectors (clear plastic stick ons).

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

TailsToo
Mac Elite
May 23, 2005, 11:11 PM

How long does it take for these to show up? My AL is still looking just about new after 3 months of use.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
May 24, 2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
How long does it take for these to show up? My AL is still looking just about new after 3 months of use.
I've had my PB for about two and a half months and I already have small pits in an area on the right to the side of the trackpad.

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 01:24 AM

Man that sucks.. what conditions do you use it in? Is it usually really moist in that area (near a body of water or near a window) ?? I'd hate to see my PB have that..
I've went through 3 different PB and havn't had a problem..
I always make sure my hands are clean before i use my PB though..
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

amazing
Professional Poster
May 24, 2005, 01:56 AM

Anybody's who's had an aluminum pressure cooker or aluminum pots and pans knows that aluminum does corrode. Presto, little pits all over the place. All it takes is the right acidity and the right salts. Just like your sweat. Given how summer temps are coming up and how sweat is the order of the day, corrosion is a given even if you clean it regularly (it'll just take a little bit longer.)

I'm going with the pda screen protectors, because they'll still allow for some heat dissipation and they can be easily replaced. Regular cleaning is good, too.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 03:38 PM

Here' a quick solution:

http://www.vixinc.com/

If you get the pads in "grey" you can hopefully cover the corrosion. The pads come in "clear" also.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 06:23 PM

hint hint: take off your watch

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by bimmerphile
hint hint: take off your watch
read up: it's corrosion, not erosion.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
read up: it's corrosion, not erosion.
read up at my earlier replies

Forum Links
Forum Rules