Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Changing user id from default?

Changing user id from default?
Meneldil
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2007, 02:27 AM

First off, I'm doing all this to avoid a problem caused by MS Office (when different users with the same local user id are logged into the server, if one logs out Office thinks the others have logged out too and won't allow you to save anything onto the server until you relog) so if you know of another way to fix it let me know.

Up till now, I've just been creating dummy accounts before I create the real account to jack the user id up, but it's getting out of hand, and I'd like to figure out what's wrong with my shell commands.

In general I create another admin account, switch to that, change the user id from 501 to say 600 in Netinfo, then go to terminal to change the user on files and folders.

This is the (best) command I tried, backed up with my own (limited) experience and some websites:

sudo find / -user 501 -exec chown username {} \;

It results in an account I can log into, but acts funny and won't remember settings. Some other advice I've followed (and I've triple checked) has resulted in an account I can't log in to. Can anyone help me with this? I find a lot of conflicting advice on the web and none of it seems to be quite working.
--

Forum Links
Forum Rules