Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which AT&T Smartphone, besides iPhone?

Which AT&T Smartphone, besides iPhone?
JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2008, 05:51 PM

I am going to be switching my service to AT&T soon, and was going to get a smartphone. I wanted to get and iPhone at first but now I don't know because there's no 3G right now. I wanted a Blackberry next but those aren't 3G either. And if I'm not getting an iPhone then I would like it to have 3G.
What are your opinions and which smartphone other than the iPhone would you pick?
Is there any news on when the Blackberry's will go 3G?
How does Windows Mobile work with Macs?
( Last edited by JMan09; Feb 6, 2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add a question?)
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

ghostdawg
Feb 7, 2008, 03:55 AM

I don't own one but I've been thinking of getting a Samsung Black Jack phone. It uses 3G and Windows Mobile OS. Not sure how Win Mobile works with a Mac either.
G4 Mini | 1.25mhz | 512mb | 40gb | OS X 10.3.9 | 19in Hanns G LCD

m i k e
Feb 7, 2008, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghostdawg View Post
I don't own one but I've been thinking of getting a Samsung Black Jack phone. It uses 3G and Windows Mobile OS. Not sure how Win Mobile works with a Mac either.
If thats the phone you end up getting you can use this to sync Windows Mobile with your Mac.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2008, 10:57 PM

i was thinking of getting a regular cellphone through at&t and a normal plan since i can get a discount from being in college, then getting an iPod Touch to surf the internet since I'm around wifi at school and some around work.

But i dont want to carry that much around so I'll probably end up getting a 16gb iPhone and Edge should be fast enough.

cnlevo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2008, 02:59 AM

i work for at&t so here we go

I carry a blackberry for productivity. It's an amazing device. Up to 10 email accounds, easy to use OS, never crashes, non-touch, non-3g, and easy to type on. I have the curve II and 8820 (prefer the 8820 for typing but it doesn't have a camera). Why do i like it because of non-3g. 3G is great and all but it will suck your battery dry. I get 2-3 days of battery life on my blackberry no problem. And blackberry's way of getting email and txt make battery life even better. The device doesn't search for emails and such...their backend does and then it sends it to the phone unlike a windows mobile device. Built in GPS is also a plus. I get no dropped calls and i don't use a phone to surf or tether (use as a modem) so I don't need the 3g speeds and I get service where all 3g phones do. BUT a 3g phone is expected end of q1 (pretty soon).

iPhone. It's a "cool" phone. It looks nice and flows neat. Other then that it's a pain in the ass to use as a smart phone. The full touch screen makes it hard for quick typing, but if you want cool over function then this is your phone.

Blackjack - It's the beginners smartphone that I sell to kids who want a phone with full QWERTY because they text alot. It's easy to use, and battery life is ok on it (you will charge it nightly...car charger is a VERY good idea). It's on sale right now for $99 after $100 rebate because they are on the "2" model and it comes in red and red is valentines...so sale (btw, same goes for the blackberry curve 2)

Motorola Q9H - GREAT smartphone. It runs windows smartphone OS like the blackjack, but is a bit bigger with a LOT better speaker and better qwerty kb. the keys are big and really easy to type fast with if you do alot of replying and texting. I just can't get into this phone but it is great. The only reason i say choose this over the blackjack II is if volume is a MUST for you and you have big hands (size of the kb)

AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) - The big daddy of the PDA/Smartphone world. It runs windows mobile 6 (but the stock at&t rom BLOWS!! if you get it reflash it with dutty's rom [HTC stock ram hax0rd up]. It has a little bit of "touch flow" built into it which is cool if you have duttys flash on it (which i wouldn't recommmend running without getting the at&t WM6 flash OFF ASAP! This phone will and can do anything you need out of a phone. 3g, gps, wifi, media expandable (all phones are now-a-days), 3mp camera. It's called the tilt because it's a slider phone that is touch screen and you can "tilt" the screen up to look almost like a notebook if you sit it on the desk. The main reason for this design was so you can sit it on your desk and read incoming emails without having to pick it up. I liked this phone but it was too much for a phone for me, and you have to go through too many steps to do one thing. I like the ease of use of the blackberry OS. BUT it will run circles as far as performance, cool factor, and what it can do, all around the blackberry.

So those are the ones i would look at. The treo750 isn't worth the money and the 680 is ran by Palm OS and well....enough said. I think you would be happy with either of them.

My opinion on the blackberry isn't because i don't do alot with it. I do 7,000+ txt a month and receive over 40 emails a day and respond to about 30 or so. As far as money goes for internet packages....$40 for unlim internet for everything but the blackberry, and $30 for the blackberry. Those are starting out prices and include no txt msgs. Unlimited txt message pkg is $20 a month on top of the internet.

Anything else you wanna know, just PM or email me.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks for taking your time to respond. I like the Blackberrys more than the others, but after thinking about it I like the iphone for being able to see the full internet pages on the go. but I've still got a little while left on my Verizon contract so who knows what I'll end up with.
I just wish I could get the discount for being in school with iphone plans.

JMan09  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2008, 10:13 PM

Well thanks for the help but I think I'm going to get either a free phone (or free after rebate), then upgrade to an iPhone in the summer when hopefully the new iPhones will come out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules