Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you own more than one recent iBook? Speeds?

Do you own more than one recent iBook? Speeds?
WizOSX
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 05:53 PM

I've owned a 700mhz/Combo drive/16mb video iBook for about 6 months. In general I like the machine but am considering upgrading to something a bit faster (900mhz/32mb video or 12" 1ghz Powerbook). The two main speed bottlenecks for me are Safari and VPC5 (WinXP). I've been using a little test to compare computers by bringing up the following site (ebay Canada Apple) in Safari:

http://listings.ebay.ca/pool2/plisti...x.html?from=R0

and then scrolling from top to bottom by holding the mouse button on the bottom scroll arrow. If anyone owns both a 16mb and a 32mb iBook and would willing to compare by this test, I'd be very grateful. (or if you also own a 12" Powerbook, all the better).
( Last edited by WizOSX; Oct 20, 2003 at 09:01 PM. )

Robertk2012
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 07:29 PM

Mine (900 mhz) does that with no pause. Are you sure it isnt your connection speed slowing you down. How much would you give me to trade up to my machine? Its only about 3 months old but im buying a G5 and could use a little cash and a slower laptop wouldnt bother as it would basically just be for word processing and taking notes. Let me know if your interested. My email is [email protected] Ram is maxed out you might should try that. What is your ram at?

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 08:18 PM

Thanks Robertk2010 for responding. I have 384mb RAM which should be enough for Safari, I would assume. I have a highspeed cable connection. If I run Internet Explorer in OS9 then the same scroll takes half as long (on my machine, 4secs vs. 2secs). So it seems that my problem with Safari is less the internet connection speed and more how well my iBook works with Safari. So really I'm wondering how much of a difference the 32mb of video ram makes.

MoBius
Oct 20, 2003, 09:06 PM

I have no problem scrolling and i have a 700mhz ibook with 384mb of ram.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 09:16 PM

Mobius--thanks for the reply. How long does it take you machine to go from top to bottom when holding down the bottom scroll arrow? Mine takes just over 4secs.

MoBius
Oct 21, 2003, 12:50 AM

For this page after your post maybe 1-2 seconds max. It reacts perfectly fine and quick.

ianxwin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 06:33 AM

6 seconds on a rather ancient 500MHz with 384MB.
Ian

Forum Links
Forum Rules