Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk Copy Problem

Disk Copy Problem
mcdicky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2006, 02:08 PM

I am running an i-book with OSX 10.2.8 and i cannot install any applications in the .dmg format?
the disk copy application icon looks like the appleworks icon and the application will not open, i tried the applications folder,the home folder and droping the .dmg file onto the installer nothing works? does anyone know how to fix this?

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2006, 02:40 AM

Just a guess, but in the Get Info window there’s the Open With… setting (which allows you to change the default Application to use to open that file). There’s also an option to Change All, which changes the default app for that filetype. It sounds like you might have, at some time, set that option to Appleworks for a .dmg file, and hit the Change All button. That could cause the symptoms you describe.

At any rate, under Jaguar, it’s either Disk Utility or Disk Copy (or something like that) which you can use to mount .dmg files. Find out which has the option to mount a disk image and try mounting one of these files from there. If it mounts properly, then go into Get Info (in the Finder) and set the Open With to that app, and chose the Change All option.

Best of luck.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2006, 02:49 AM

In re-reading your post, it looks like you are saying the Disk Copy app itself has an Appleworks Icon, and will not open. I originally thought you were saying all the .dmg files had the AppleWorks icon.

You may need to reinstall the OS (or at least the Disk Copy app). You can reinstall MacOS X without wiping the HD; it should leave your user files untouched (but usual cautions apply about making a backup first).

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 30, 2006, 03:26 AM

No, this shouldn't require a reinstall. It just sounds like a corrupted LaunchServices database. Google that phrase and you should find how to fix it.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules