Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > cleaning ibook?

cleaning ibook?
MoBius
Jul 30, 2002, 02:00 AM

I just got a new ibook and was wondering what is best to clean the screen and also the surface of the laptop to keep it nice and pretty

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2002, 12:45 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by MoBius:
<strong>I just got a new ibook and was wondering what is best to clean the screen and also the surface of the laptop to keep it nice and pretty </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I use a soft wet cloth to clean my iBook screen. It came from shopper's optical or something like that. The outside is easy to clean with turtle wax.

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2002, 08:43 PM

Never heard of using Turtle wax...interesting.

I personally just use a soft cloth and it makes the screen usable. I am not as anal about fingerprints though. As long as I can read text, everything is a-ok.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

Scooterboy
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 10:12 PM

For the screen, use only clean, filtered water to moisten a microfibre cloth, like what a photographer uses to clean a lens. You can use a lens cleaning brush to brush away loose dirt and dust before cleaning. The moistened cloth works great on the case as well.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

MoBius  (op)
Jul 31, 2002, 11:06 PM

No offense but are you just paranoid with water or is it better using the filtered? Just wondering.

MoBius  (op)
Jul 31, 2002, 11:31 PM

No offense but are you just paranoid with water or is it better using the filtered? Just wondering.

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2002, 10:02 AM

Don't use anything with alcohol in it, because it will yellow and damage your screen. There are special cleaners made for LCDs that work pretty well. I personally use a cleaner made for treated camera lenses. It does a really good job, and cleans off the marks that are made when the keyboard hits the screen.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2002, 01:24 PM

I use Kensington Screen Guardian and Surface Guardian cloths. I used them only once but they seem to work.

pilauh
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2002, 02:31 PM

water...
late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

splode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2002, 11:03 AM

Hey.

I suspect the "Turtle Wax" tip would work for scratches on the outer shell. Not that I've done it, but it was well known at a record store that I used to work at that the expensive CD Scratch-Repair kits were effectively Turtle Wax. It fills in the scratches so they are invisible.

splode

Carl Norum
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2002, 11:51 AM

Yup, that is indeed the point. Most of the scratches I've seen on iBooks haven't been that noticeable anyway.

Geoff Crane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2002, 05:46 AM

I use iKlear - I saw them using it at the Apple Store at Cupertino, and figured that was good enough for me.

It works great, is expensive and isn't available in Australia...

You guys can get it from the applestore online.

iKlear is a two stage cleaner - a wet, non-alchol wipe & a dry follow up.

Happy cleaning.

Geoff

PS It 's cleaned the screens as well as the cases on my iBook, iMac & TiBook
Geoff Crane

eMac 1.42/2048/160/SD-DL/APE
iBook 600/640/20/DVD/AP
AlBook 1.25/1024/60/SD/APE/BT (that work own...)

meducus
Aug 7, 2002, 06:31 AM

I've watched the guy at my local Apple store use Windex on their laptops (and mine once when i had it in there)..............surley there is a protective screen infront of the LCD, which would mean it doesn't matter??

ringo
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2002, 09:09 AM

Be careful if you use Turtle Wax, I've heard horror stories about slippery iBooks crashing to the floor aftr being cleaned.

I use a LCD-safe cleaner and a smooth cloth for the screen...spray-air-in-a-can and a damp paper towel for the case and keyboard.

Don't get too freaked out about scratches...the white iBooks scratch really easily...hard to avoid it. Mine is scratched up from travel and working in hostile environments...not worth getting upset about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules