Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Laser Printers Under 300

Laser Printers Under 300
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2003, 02:12 PM

Hello--

I was wondering what people's opinions are on the following printers. I searched other posts, but most people haven't mentioned these particular models and their thoughts.

I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.4 by the way.

- LEXMARK E320

- BROTHER HL-1440

- SAMSUNG HL-1430

If anyone has any of these could you please tell me if they are any good.

I'm a writer and sometimes print out 100 of pages at a time and I like the laser print quality, but I don't like the fact that unlike inkjet printers, the pages curl.

So I'm also looking for any suggestions on inkjet printers that print black text that looks just as good or close to laser quality.

Something that I could send off to an agent and not be embarssed.

That is why the curl bothers me... when my printed pages looks like I had them in my back pocket all day.

Thanks for all your help.

Take care.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 02:47 PM

I have two Samsung ML-1430 and they are quite good. Windows, Mac, and Linux compatible. Dunno about Mac OS X. However, CUPS drivers (from gimp-print) should be available.

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 11:48 PM

I've used Brother lasers for a while (three models, the most recent was the HL-1240) and liked the qulaity and speed. However, in all three cases, the drum seemed to go bad much before the rated lifespan. I can't say for sure that it wasn't anything I did, but three times seems to be too much of a coincidence. I would avoid the HL1440 for that reason.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
I've used Brother lasers for a while (three models, the most recent was the HL-1240) and liked the qulaity and speed. However, in all three cases, the drum seemed to go bad much before the rated lifespan. I can't say for sure that it wasn't anything I did, but three times seems to be too much of a coincidence. I would avoid the HL1440 for that reason.
Anyone else have any thoughts?

I found many reviews that said Lexmark and Samsung were great printers, but I still unsure of them.

I just wish HP had a cheaper laser printer to choose instead of just the 400 dollar 1200 option.

So keep the opinions coming.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 07:27 PM

I have a HP 6MP like this.
These are great printers, real workhorses.

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 12:21 AM

I narrowed down my printer search to two, which are both mentioned above.

- LEXMARK E320 and SAMSUNG HL-1430

The samsung is 100 dollars cheaper, but not sure if it works well with Mac X since their drivers seem way out of date.

The lexmark drivers seem up to date and lexmark seems to be on top of supporting X.

which one would you pick?

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2003, 01:28 AM

I'm thinking of purchasing a Samsung 1430 right after my Epson CX5200 purchase. I've heard nothing but good things about the Samsung 1210 and 1430. Prices are great and there are even special rebates (i.e. Best Buy) and gift cards when you purchase one. I think Samsung is pretty up-to-date regarding OS X drivers, but I'm not sure if they have any problems with 10.2.4. Lexmark seems to make pretty good printers as well and their OS X support is apparently very good. I think at $100 less, the Samsung 1430 makes a great simple laser printer.

Check out the reviews of Samsung's recent laser printers (ML-1210, 1430, etc):

http://www.epinions.com/

http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0206/rev.ml1210.html

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...20077458.html?

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/pr...415164,00.html

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,587372,00.asp

reverb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 06:57 AM

I'm favoring the Brother HL-1440. According to deal sites it can currently be had from Staples for $200 less a $50 coupon and $30 gift card. So $120 plus tax and you have a $30 gift card.

A review:
http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...4-6234358.html

I have a Samsung ML-1210 sitting here in the box, but I loathe exposed paper trays.
( Last edited by reverb; Feb 19, 2003 at 07:07 AM. )

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by reverb:
I'm favoring the Brother HL-1440. According to deal sites it can currently be had from Staples for $200 less a $50 coupon and $30 gift card. So $120 plus tax and you have a $30 gift card.

A review:
http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...4-6234358.html

I have a Samsung ML-1210 sitting here in the box, but I loathe exposed paper trays.
Don't forget to add the $179 cost for a new drum when it goes bad...

reverb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
Don't forget to add the $179 cost for a new drum when it goes bad...
While I respect your opinion and experience, yours is the only such comment to this effect that I have read. Of course you can't make a purchase decision based on a single negative report.

I would be interested in reading additional reports or evidence of reliability issues with this or any other comparable model.

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by reverb:
While I respect your opinion and experience, yours is the only such comment to this effect that I have read. Of course you can't make a purchase decision based on a single negative report.

I would be interested in reading additional reports or evidence of reliability issues with this or any other comparable model.
True enough--your best bet would be to search bizrate.com and epinions.com for "HL1440" and I think you'll find generally good reviews. As I said, I used Brother printers for a long while before a pattern started developing with the drum quality. I still have an MFC4350 that works pretty well on my PC, and on my Mac through Gimp-Print.

Forum Links
Forum Rules