Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > major audio problem

major audio problem
scott brown
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 10:09 PM

my powerbook works fine for audio input, i can take in a 24/96 input over USB with no problems, but there one HUGE problem i never experienced with my previous macs: have the energy saver settings set so that the PB's screen goes off after 3 minutes. the computer itself doesn't sleep, or the hard disk, just the screen. moving the cursor should only wake the screen

well, if i'm recording and the screen goes off, waking the screen causes huge audio issues. the recording has static, pops, dropouts, and more for a few seconds, and takes a while to recover.

ths never happened on my previous 2 ibooks or on my desktop g4. what's going on? if i can't conserv power on this machine by turning off the screen, i'm screwed

any ideas?

12in powerbook, 640 ram, 10.2.3, emagic emi 2|6 and apogee minime usb interfaces, happens while using either one

scott

xdfk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 10:17 PM

i have audio problems when i switch the cpu performance mode. so probably this causes problems if the laptop resumes

scott brown  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2003, 11:42 PM

the only setting i has that's not the max performance is the display. cpu is max, HD never sleeps, machine never sleeps

apple support was of no help, they said it's not a hardware issue, but an issue with the software applications i used. funny how every application i used did this, but it only happens on a 12 inch powerbook. an ibook/500, ibook/800 and 733g4tower don't do this...that sounds like a specific 12in issue to me

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 01:50 AM

A temporary fix may be to just set the screen brightness with the keyboard to as low as it goes (which is nearly off). Make sure the screen is set to NOT go off, and then if you need to see the screen just bump up the brightness 1. On my 15" the machine us usable on the first brightness setting. I know this doesnt fix the problem, but it may be a possible solution. Anyone know if that will save nearly as much battery power as have the screen shut itself off?

Forum Links
Forum Rules