Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I want to upgrade the video card for my G4 400mhz. HELP!

I want to upgrade the video card for my G4 400mhz. HELP!
agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2003, 06:14 PM

Until I buy a new computer
(possibly a 15.4 Powerbook) I am thinking about upgrading the Video Card on my current setup.

Currently with my G4 400mhz I am using a 17" Apple display with the stock Rage pro 128.

Which card would you recommend?
So far I am stuck between the ATI radeon 9000 or 8500.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

Avon
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 09:59 PM

8500 is faster.
Get one on ebay. don't pay for a "Flashed Card" If you want a PC flashed card just do it yourself. I recomend a true Mac card though.

Honestly, if you dont do 3D stuff, you will gain almost nothing.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 03:01 PM

Quartz Extreme requires a GeForce or RADEON minimum, so they would be getting that. Your studio display, does it use the ADC connector? If so, then you'll need to get an ADC compatible card. The RADEON 8500 doesn't support ADC cards. the RADEON 9000 does. There were a few different G4 400s so it's hard to recommend which one without knowing more.

DrBoar
Senior User
Mar 8, 2003, 04:41 PM

I have a G4/400 AGP and I upgraded it with a Radeon 8500. 2D stuff is the same but gaming is much improved, especially Quake III based games like FAKK2 but also games like UT that is supposed to be CPU bound improved. The 8500 ( and the 9000) are total overkills for a 400 MHz CPU bot the only other option is the PCI R 7000 and that is not much different from the ATI 128 AGP pro, so go for what ever card that fit your needs. Performance wise there will be no diffrence between the two cards but they do have different connctors that might affect you desition otherwise jut go for the cheapest one!

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by agentmouthwash:
Until I buy a new computer
(possibly a 15.4 Powerbook) I am thinking about upgrading the Video Card on my current setup.

Currently with my G4 400mhz I am using a 17" Apple display with the stock Rage pro 128.

Which card would you recommend?
So far I am stuck between the ATI radeon 9000 or 8500.
I can sell you a Mac Edition Radeon. It's the AGP version with 32MD DDR. It will allow you to benefit from QE, will improve your 3D (although not as much as a 8500, but once again you have a 400MHz anyway), and is ONLY $60!!

Let me know if you are interested.

Villa

Avon
Senior User
Mar 8, 2003, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
Quartz Extreme requires a GeForce or RADEON minimum, so they would be getting that. Your studio display, does it use the ADC connector? If so, then you'll need to get an ADC compatible card. The RADEON 8500 doesn't support ADC cards. the RADEON 9000 does. There were a few different G4 400s so it's hard to recommend which one without knowing more.
There is no noticable speed increase for the typical user if QE is enabled. Not worth the money for simply QE. I upgraded my G4 400 from the Rage128.

If you do it great, then you will get better 3d and some cool QE features. But, if you are going to upgrade your computer then I recomend you put off the upgrade.

Avon
Senior User
Mar 8, 2003, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:
I can sell you a Mac Edition Radeon. It's the AGP version with 32MD DDR. It will allow you to benefit from QE, will improve your 3D (although not as much as a 8500, but once again you have a 400MHz anyway), and is ONLY $60!!

Let me know if you are interested.

Villa
I highly recomend this option over a 8500, the G4 400 is not fast enought to benifit from the 8500.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Avon:
There is no noticable speed increase for the typical user if QE is enabled. Not worth the money for simply QE. I upgraded my G4 400 from the Rage128.

If you do it great, then you will get better 3d and some cool QE features. But, if you are going to upgrade your computer then I recomend you put off the upgrade.
Are you kidding me? Going from my ATI Rage128 (no QE) to my GeForce2 MX (QE enabled) made a huge difference. The computer felt snappier and way faster at once, QE ist definitely worth it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Avon
Senior User
Mar 9, 2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Are you kidding me? Going from my ATI Rage128 (no QE) to my GeForce2 MX (QE enabled) made a huge difference. The computer felt snappier and way faster at once, QE ist definitely worth it.
I beg to differ. Not worth 200 bucks if you only do 2D.

I went form a Rage128 to a Radeon 8500. No big deal. Id get a processor upgrade over the 8500. I bet you can get a 700 mhz G4 upgrade very cheap now. It will blow the video card up grade away.

Im on a PowerBook G4 500, (no QE). Much faster than my G4/400.

agentmouthwash  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2003, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the feedback!
Well I use Final Cut Pro and Photoshop the most. I don't do 3D work at all. Now after reading all these posts, I am starting to wonder if I even need an upgrade. Doesn't Quartz Extreme take pressure off the processor? So shouldn't my computer be faster anyway?

Can you tell me more about the Mac Edition Radeon?

Thanks
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

Akarso
Mar 10, 2003, 03:02 PM

well, i don't know if you've bought a card yet or if you're even considering upgrading at this point, but if you're interested i'm selling my apple oem 32MB Geforce4 MX card for $90 obo. i've only used it for about a month, and it's in mint condition. this is the card that came out of my MDD dual 867 power mac.

email me if you have questions or check out the post i made in the market place forum for more details.
(oi)

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback!
Well I use Final Cut Pro and Photoshop the most. I don't do 3D work at all. Now after reading all these posts, I am starting to wonder if I even need an upgrade. Doesn't Quartz Extreme take pressure off the processor? So shouldn't my computer be faster anyway?

Thanks
The Mac Edition Radeon is an AGP card, with 32MB DDR. It then allows you to benefit from the QE acceleration. QE does indeed takes some burden off the CPU, but is won't speed up the all computer all that much. On the other hand it will makes a lot of things in the finder much smoother, making the GUI more pleasant to use. Sometimes the perception of speed is as important as the speed itself.
It will speed 2D rendition to some extent (PS would probably see some improvement).
If you wanna more info, you can go to this address.

http://www.ati.com/products/mac/rade...ion/index.html

I think it is a good card, especially for you since you consider upgrading your computer in the near future. Send a private message if you are interested in mine, for $60.

Villa

villalobos
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
The Mac Edition Radeon is an AGP card, with 32MB DDR. It then allows you to benefit from the QE acceleration. QE does indeed takes some burden off the CPU, but is won't speed up the all computer all that much. On the other hand it will makes a lot of things in the finder much smoother, making the GUI more pleasant to use. Sometimes the perception of speed is as important as the speed itself.
It will speed 2D rendition to some extent (PS would probably see some improvement).
If you wanna more info, you can go to this address.

http://www.ati.com/products/mac/rade...ion/index.html

I think it is a good card, especially for you since you consider upgrading your computer in the near future. Send a private message if you are interested in mine, for $60.

Villa

Forum Links
Forum Rules