Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15 or 17inch?

15 or 17inch?
scott brown
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2003, 09:30 PM

going to get a new PB when the new ones are announced. assuming the same specs for both 15 and 17 (except screen size), what would you get? why?
( Last edited by scott brown; Aug 18, 2003 at 10:03 PM. )

tvfollower
Aug 18, 2003, 09:47 PM

15...the size is just right.

You want something portable, but not so portable that you have to squint to see text at 1280x1024 (or is it 1280x960?...whatever), but not so non-portable that it's bigger than a fat woman's ass.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 09:57 PM

I think if you travel get the 15" if you like people to stare at you and think, "WOW THAT IS ONE F'N BIG COMPUTER" then buy the 17"!

Naz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2003, 10:11 PM

15" is the normal size for most laptops it would be an easy choice.

17" is not as big as people say, very thin and looks awesome, pick the 17" if you just want a little more screen over the 15" and a little more WOW factor

-

a while ago I was asking myself the same thing I went with the 17" at first because the AL 15" was not out...

I have yet to order my PB but even with the 15" coming I still want the 17" -

- Just because its bigger
Nazaire's Art - -- iMac 500 DV SE --- 17" PB

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 11:28 PM

I owned 3 15" PBs and 1 17" PB. For me, the 15 is perfect. I never even came close to using up all the space on the 17". The screen is awesome, but it really is too big, especially if you want to carry it around.

Now if you are a graphic artist, then I could understand why you would want the 17". But I think for most people the 15" has more than enough screen space.

dlindsay17
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2003, 11:45 PM

what do you plan on using it for? I have the 17" and i love the huuuuge screen. You get used to the larger size really quick to the point where any non-17" laptop looks tiny and unusable. Acutally I don't consider it a laptop, more like a portable desktop. Either way, if you go Al, you can't go wrong.

moonman192
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2003, 12:40 AM

I first bought the 15" (my first mac) and thought the size was big enough for me. I had to return it to CompUSA for a dead pixel. Since they were out of stock and I had the extra money I went for the 17". I really didn't need the extra screen size but I fell in love with it at the store. Two weeks later, I have no regrets. It fits just fine on my lap or desk, and when it's in my Brenthaven laptop case It packs around just like my old HP Pavilion (actually lighter than the HP). I choose the 17" because the benefits out weigh the larger size, IMHO.
17" Powerbook - 1GHZ - 1 GIG RAM
15 GIG iPod

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2003, 09:46 AM

The 17" is not too big at all.

Those that say it is, have either never held or seen one, or must be rather small (I'm talking mini-me here).

This thing is thin and light, it's only slightly wider than the 15".

It's very portable. I carry one to and from work everyday on the train. Get a nice backpack like the Brenthaven or the Tom Bihn Smart Alec with a Monolith padded cell (highly recommended). Or just get the Monolith and use it within your existing backpack.

Enough with the 17" is too big, it is not true.

Tom Bihn - Smart Alec bag

Monolith:

Powerbooks should at least include a bag like this, a choice between a few at order/purchase time would be good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules