Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > swapping hard drive on a 17

swapping hard drive on a 17
scott brown
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 09:59 PM

void my warranty? thinking of just getting a stock 17 and putting in a 7200rpm drive...
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE
17in PB 1.33/1GB/80(5400rpm)

ctishue21
Sep 19, 2003, 10:04 PM

I'm pondering the same question. (few threads down) I'm pretty sure it voids the warranty, if they find out you replaced it of course. Supposedly the stock hard drive is a pretty good one, dense platters and 8MB cache.

My dilemma is a $175 difference because tax at the apple retail store I could pick one up at is 1.5% less than tax in my state.

Apple store BTO: $2700 (gov discount) + $112 (5400rpm) + shipping/tax (WV 6%) = $2995

Apple store retail: $2700 (gov discount) + 4.5% VA tax = $2821.50

scott brown  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 10:07 PM

i just am thinking of it because i won't end up waiting for the (delayed) online store order. i could pick one up tomorrow instead of waiting...

sorry for the redundant thread, i didn't see yours...
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 12:05 AM

forget the 5400! go to the store! i was thinking about the same thing ... but just went to the store tonight to get my 17"! (sorry, this is probably the 4th post i've included this in)

exciting!

spend the $175 on iSight ... or an iPod! or an external FW hard drive ...

scott brown  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 12:19 AM

but i actually want the faster drive. 4200 isn't good enough....the 5400 and 7200's rock in a laptop
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 12:25 AM

cool ... just make sure you won't void any warranty (unless you don't care) by replacing the HD w/ your own ... of course, you could just keep the old one, and when there's a problem, insert it back in ... but that might not work in all cases ...

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2003, 03:45 PM

just take it to the apple store directly buy it ahead of time say ur hd is not working or something and have them replace it. Make somethng up so you can stick the 7200 rpm one with out voiding it.

Karim
Senior User
Sep 20, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
just take it to the apple store directly buy it ahead of time say ur hd is not working or something and have them replace it. Make somethng up so you can stick the 7200 rpm one with out voiding it.
Good plan, but it won't work. I checked into this. All "hard drive not working" problems require the Powerbook to be shipped to the Apple repair center. They won't do it in the Apple store. This was true as of 6 months ago. Whether it would have changed is unknown.

MacBliss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: 3rd moon of Alderan, Synaan system, free of any Imperial influence. Long live the rebellion!
Sep 21, 2003, 01:05 AM

Originally posted by Karim:
Good plan, but it won't work. I checked into this. All "hard drive not working" problems require the Powerbook to be shipped to the Apple repair center. They won't do it in the Apple store. This was true as of 6 months ago. Whether it would have changed is unknown.
It's not that complicated and is possible without voiding your warranty. I confirmed it a a few days ago as I am also considering upgrading my 17" HD when I'll get it (10 days...) by calling a Authorized Apple Service center, namely Dino Computers in Pasadena, California (great reseller btw).

According to the chap I talk to in their service dept, as long as you have an authorized Apple service center do the upgrade for you ($50 for a straight update, without data transfer), the warranty on your PB will NOT be voided, with the exception that your new 7200rpm HD will not be covered under your warranty, but the rest of your computer will.

My plan however, is to wait a while until someone post some tests and results on such an upgrade. If using such a fast drive reduces battery life down to less than 90 minutes and make the PB even hotter than presently, I might not be so eager to follow through, regarless of the speed gains. As far as these are concerned, I am not entirely convinced that they'll be as dramatic as people think. This said I would love to be proven wrong.
JM - "Got Mac?"

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 02:30 AM

Karim
Senior User
Sep 21, 2003, 11:51 AM

It is true that you can get a 3rd party dealer to do it for you and save your warranty, just not the Apple Stores.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
It is true that you can get a 3rd party dealer to do it for you and save your warranty, just not the Apple Stores.
yes as long as they are authorized. The hd only won't have the warranty but every thing else will.
( Last edited by yoyoman; Sep 21, 2003 at 06:04 PM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2003, 11:18 PM

The HD in the new 15" and 17" are definitely not user installable, according to a tech at the Apple Store this morning.. Now, you could have an Apple Service Center install it, but in the past, if you needed to send the notebook to Apple for an Applecare repair, they refused to work on it unless the original HD was in it. In essence, you had to take the HD you installed out and put the original back in. That wasn't too hard on the Titanium.

I don't know if that's still their policy...and don't know how to find out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules