Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Batch printing from a webapp....?

Batch printing from a webapp....?
Akarso
Jun 24, 2004, 08:33 PM

Hi everybody,

I'm currently working on a ASP .Net webapp that creates html reports and i was wondering if
anybody has any exprience or know of a tutorial on batch printing. (It doesn't have to be in
ASP .NET, i just need an example or an idea)

Right now, the webapp generates a list of reports and the user has to manually open up
each report in a seperate browser window and then print that report. Eventually i would
like it so that all the user would have to do is press the print button, (either on the
broswer window or a link on the page) and it would be totally automated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ardie

larkost
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2004, 08:43 AM

Are you trying to print on the server side, or the client?

On the client side you will have to create a single, multipage file to print out. There is no established method of printing multiple files.

Akarso  (op)
Jun 25, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
Are you trying to print on the server side, or the client?

On the client side you will have to create a single, multipage file to print out. There is no established method of printing multiple files.
I would like to try to make it all happen on the client side. Yeah, i've been playing around with the idea of creating one single file to hold all the reports. I just thought there might be another way that i didn't know of.

Thanks for your help by the way.
(oi)

Akarso  (op)
Jun 25, 2004, 09:14 PM

I finally managed to find the answer to my problem. As larkost suggested, i made one single, multi page file and using css, i inserted page breaks at the end of each report.

Now the printer knows when a new document begins and it won't clip a report.

Here's the code for those of you interested (it works in win/IE6, win/Firefox 0.9, mac/Firefox 0.9, Safari 1.0):

Code:
<html> <head> <style type="text/css"> <--! br.page { page-break-after: always; } --> </style> </head> <body> <p>page 1</p> <br class="page" /> <p>page 2</p> <br class="page" /> <p>page 3</p> <br class="page" /> </body> </html>
(oi)

Forum Links
Forum Rules