Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Font Substitution Help

Font Substitution Help
Aluminum
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 10:29 PM

Is anyone here adept with changing the system font, as well as application fonts using Silk? I am unable to change everything how I would like it, and I believe that the documentation is not that helpful. If anyone would be so kind enough to help me with this procedure I would greatly appreciate it. AIM=QuentusMaximus, if that is any easier.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Aluminum:
Is anyone here adept with changing the system font, as well as application fonts using Silk? I am unable to change everything how I would like it, and I believe that the documentation is not that helpful. If anyone would be so kind enough to help me with this procedure I would greatly appreciate it. AIM=QuentusMaximus, if that is any easier.
Silk alone cannot change all of the system fonts. You need to use TinkerTool aswell. When you first start silk, you must select a font to substitute. Choose "Lucida Grande" (The Mac OS X system font). Then pick whatever font you want to replace it and hit the "Replace With" button (Something like that). Make sure that the font you pick has a similar baseline (distance "off the ground") to Lucida Grande otherwise it will look bad. Most people use HandelGotDlig, HandelMod, Eurostile or Helvetica Neue as they have suitable baselines. If you download any of these fonts while silk is installed, you must delete Silk's preference file and reopen it before it can see them.
When you have successfully done all this, open TinkerTool and follow the simple procedure in that for font replacement. There are about ten different fonts to replace, so to save confusion use the same font you picked in Silk for all of them exept for "monospaced font" or whatever (unless the font you picked is mono-spaced of course).

I hope this has helped.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 12:17 AM

Ozzpot, any chance you have access to HandelMod? Anyone out there have HandelMod, I see to have misplaced my copy of it after I reinstalled my system. Email is [email protected] if you so wish to send, or a PM would do. Thanks for the help once again.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 12:26 AM

also looking for HandelGotDlig, forgot to put that in the previous post

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2004, 12:39 AM

Check your inbox.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules