Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Wait or Buy Now

Macbook Wait or Buy Now
beck11488
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 12:42 PM

Just a quick question for all you MBP owners do you think I should wait until they come out with a revision to the MBP or do you think its safe to order one now? I dont really need one at this exact moment intime but i would like to switch to Mac and get a MBP and if its ok to buy now i prob will otherwise i will wait till the revise it. Thanks

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2006, 01:00 PM

WAIT. The new model has some glitches.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

turbopants
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 02:55 PM

I say wait as well. Let the glitches get ironed out, and more universal applications get released. If you don't really need one now, wait until you do. It's really the best buying advice for technology I can give.

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 03:19 PM

Wait. It won't be long before they add more MacBook/MacBook Pros to the lineup. Right now, you only have one choice.

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 04:30 PM

wait if you want to, not if you dont.

waiting for a "revision" is silly because there were will ALWAYS be imperfections and problems that should not have made it out of the first test but somehow regardless of the fact that it is extremely problematic (see the old ibook, powerbook power adaptor, which was around for years and is still in production even though it is the worst power adaptor ever made for any laptop..ever).

learn about whats out test it out, and get what makes you happy, because you could be waiting years from revisions that actually fix these things.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Peligro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 05:45 PM

If you're gonna wait for Rev B. You might as well wait for Rev C, if you're gonna wait for Rev C you might as well wait for Rev D you might as well yadda yadda if youre gonna blah blah blah you might as well chickenpocket and durka blah blah blah yadda yadda homina homina homina Boutros Boutros-Ghali.

Catch my meaning?

beck11488  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 07:12 PM

i get what you guys are saying, its just i am so sick of useing my p3 windows box and am finally making the switch, its just i want the 15, i just wish it had more i/o ports, and maybe in the next revision it might have some more, do you guys think the next revision would even be worth waiting for?

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2006, 07:28 PM

If you absolutely want a 15" screen and nothing else, then I say go ahead and take the plunge. What other I/O ports do you need anyway? Maybe we can point out some alternatives.

beck11488  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 07:51 PM

probably the svideo and a serria wireless card that is express card

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2006, 08:10 PM

I don't think they're going to bring back svideo, and the adapter is dirt cheap from what I remember. As for the expresscard... the slot will almost certainly be the same in the next revision, so if all you're waiting for is the card itself, I don't see how not buying the computer now will help.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 08:33 PM

The only point in waiting for rev B is (a) to see if they iron out major glitches such as the white spots on the old 15" (which the MBP - touch wood - doesn't seem to have, complaints of a 'hum' notwithstanding) or (b) in case they're going to add some incredible new features (which I don't really think will happen, it took the last powerbook three revisions to get new features such as the scrolling trackpad). Forget about them tweaking the architecture to add more ports or stuff like that - they are hardly going to revert to the old PC card slot on rev B, and like the man said just pay twenty bucks for the s-video converter, that's nothing. They won't put s-video on a machine that's due to be around for a few years yet in a period where everyone is moving to HDTV.

Of course, if you don't *need* the laptop now and if you're going to be using your MBP for stuff like Photoshop which is not yet a universal binary, then where's the rush? I on the other hand ordered one this afternoon. My old powerbook died last week, and I'm not prepared to go for three or four months without a laptop while I wait for a 12" to come out (when secretly I kinda wanted to move to 15" anyway). There is never a 'good' time to buy a laptop, something better, cheaper, faster is always around the corner. Might as well buy one when the need or the urge reaches critical mass and not worry about what might appear next month.

teerexx52
Mar 5, 2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by beck11488
Just a quick question for all you MBP owners do you think I should wait until they come out with a revision to the MBP or do you think its safe to order one now? I dont really need one at this exact moment intime but i would like to switch to Mac and get a MBP and if its ok to buy now i prob will otherwise i will wait till the revise it. Thanks
I had a powerbook 12" and moved to MacBook pro. No regrets at all so far. No whine, no noise. Just a real nice computer. Screen is just great!

gdub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 10:04 PM

I'm new to Macs too and wondering what the general time span between revisions are? This will help me determine if I buy now or wait...

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2006, 10:59 PM

That's impossible to answer with any accuracy but they tend to average out at about one a year (that's a cue for someone to come and correct me). I really wouldn't expect a revision B to the MBP in 2006 unless they uncover a major flaw in the rev A.

cpa001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2006, 11:55 PM

I would wait until Apple releases Leopard.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by beck11488
probably the svideo and a serria wireless card that is express card
The S-video adaptor is tiny and only $20. You can cable any cell phone to a USB port or Bluetooth some if so equipped. Only disadvantage is you can't talk and surf at the same time. Most phones will ring however so you don't miss calls while online.

ibnabouna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2006, 01:23 AM

Hello,

I am the happy owner of a MacBook Pro 1.83 GHz with 2 GB RAM and a CTO 7200 RPM hard drive.

It is the best computer I've ever owned. I would honestly not trade it in for anything else. Everything from the screen to the keyboard to the wireless reception has been great for me.

If you have specific questions that I can answer, please let me know.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by mintcake
I really wouldn't expect a revision B to the MBP in 2006 unless they uncover a major flaw in the rev A.
Before the end of the year I'd expect 2.33-2.5Ghz Merom, 4GB RAM, and 160GB disk in the 15" MBP; possibly 802.11n too. 12 months would be an unusually long product cycle for Apple.

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 6, 2006, 01:51 AM

I say get a new laptop every year. I buy a new one about every 9 months. :-)

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Before the end of the year I'd expect 2.33-2.5Ghz Merom, 4GB RAM, and 160GB disk in the 15" MBP; possibly 802.11n too. 12 months would be an unusually long product cycle for Apple.
If that happens I will weep bitter, bitter tears of frustration. :/

I'm assuming I'll be able to upgrade the MPB to 802.11n easily though.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 02:54 PM

This would be the dream system--if it existed I would literally run out and get it despite the fact I just bought a Powerbook 3 months ago! I hope you're right -- and I agree that 12 months would be long for a product cycle. Though I think that such a computer would be Apple pulling out all the stops. What would be left for future upgrades? A Macbook with AI?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mintcake
I'm assuming I'll be able to upgrade the MPB to 802.11n easily though.
Certainly you'll be able to do it unelegantly with an ExpressCard; hopefully you'll be able to do it by swapping out the miniPCI card.

Originally Posted by Zeeb
This would be the dream system--if it existed I would literally run out and get it despite the fact I just bought a Powerbook 3 months ago! I hope you're right -- and I agree that 12 months would be long for a product cycle. Though I think that such a computer would be Apple pulling out all the stops. What would be left for future upgrades? A Macbook with AI?
In another 9-12 months it will be 2.66+Ghz chips, new GPU (512MB VRAM option), 200GB drives, BluRay burners, etc.

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2006, 08:05 PM

Yes, there will always be something better around the corner. Always. If you want it now buy it.

I'm typing this on a 1.83 MBP which I'm ecstatic with. It does whine a little - but coming from a PC and older macs it's not an issue for me. That's the only "flaw" I can even truthfully mention - everything else is perfect. It's amazingly fast as well.

From what I've read, it may have fewer flaws than the current powerbooks. At least so far (It hasn't been long granted, but by the time yours actually ships, we may know more).

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 09:46 PM

In another 9-12 months it will be 2.66+Ghz chips, new GPU (512MB VRAM option), 200GB drives, BluRay burners, etc.[/QUOTE]

Let's see that would make my current Powerbook worth about $100 on ebay. Do you really think things will move that fast? That would be cool, but Apple is still selling 2 versions of the powerbook, 3 versions of the powermac, 3 versions of the ibook and the old Imac with PPC chips. Clearly things are ahead of schedule, but I would assume they would transition all their equipment to the new chips before revising anything. All the same I'd pounce on a Macbook that just had wireless "n". Its supposed to be much more stable with speeds in excess of landline connections.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2006, 11:25 PM

802.11n was the one thing holding me back - processor speeds will always increase, but fast wireless for home movie streaming etc... yeah that I could do with.

But look at it another way. You need to keep stuff back in order to justify your next desktop upgrade right?

The fact is we don't know when wimax will come onstream. I'll think about how to take advantage of it when it does.

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2006, 12:44 AM

I have a MacBook Pro Duo 2Gig with a 23 inch Cinema for home use (plus 2gigs RAM...crucial). Couldn't ask for more. Performance is excellent for native apps and very acceptable for Rosetta apps.

I can't the believe revs over the next 6 months will make THAT much difference except for some minor speed bumps. There are only 2 real complaints that may be legitimate.

1st is the lack of Adobe and MS apps in Universal Binary along with other key apps. Still probably 3-6 months off. Rosetta seems to run flawlessly but the apps do have to "think" more.

2nd is that the lid only tilts back 120 degrees or so. Doesn't really bother me but working in an office environment across a conference table, you might want to lay your screen flat rather than close your laptop. Or if it's on your lap you may need more angle..

Otherwise, the keyboard is so cool in feel and look. Multiple monitors is easy as can be. The screen is clear as a bell. Even hooked up to my HK Sound Sticks/Sub, it soulds great.

If you go for it, you won't be sorry. if you want to wait, I'm sure the price will go down and performance features will continue to rise...like they have for the last 20 years.

Good luck.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 01:36 AM

The one thing holding me back from buying right now is the PC-Card slot is now an Express/34 or something like that. I went with the 15" powerbook for the option to use an EVDO (or other broadband card) ... which I'm now using. There is nothing in the Express/34 format ... yet.

Otherwise .. nice machine. I never did take advantage of the Firewire/800 in my current PB. Maybe I will, not sure yet. I still love all of my Mac's to death ... I'm sure I'll upgrade but I'm not creaming to do so just yet.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
In another 9-12 months it will be 2.66+Ghz chips, new GPU (512MB VRAM option), 200GB drives, BluRay burners, etc.
Let's see that would make my current Powerbook worth about $100 on ebay. Do you really think things will move that fast?
That's another 9-12 months after my previous prediction for the next 9 months, so 18-21 months away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules