Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OpenGLUtility shared library error causing Application Launch Failure in Panther

OpenGLUtility shared library error causing Application Launch Failure in Panther
kennedy
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 11:31 PM

Following my upgrade from 10.2.8 to 10.3.4, just one of my apps stopped working that a re-install of the app didn't fix... any clues or pointers would be appreciated...

When I try to open Accordance 6.2 I immediately get a dialog that says:

'Application Launch Failure

The application "Accordance 6.2" could not be
launched because of a shared library error:
"1 <Accordance 6.2> <Accordance
6.2> <OpenGLUtility> <>"'

It did similar with the existing install of Accordance 5.7c immediately following the upgrade to Panther (the install worked fine under Jaguar 10.2.8).

At that point in the launch, the program shouldn't be using OpenGL or any preference or data files. But I did try removing the preferences in ~/Library and the preference-like files in the Accordance app folder.

Any ideas?

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jul 6, 2004, 01:28 AM

The application developer very likely (unless your OS/App install is hosed somehow) improperly linked in libraries in the program. Contact them for an update.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by moki:
The application developer very likely (unless your OS/App install is hosed somehow) improperly linked in libraries in the program. Contact them for an update.
Yeah, I contacted them first. They have thousands of users and nobody has had this problem. So, I don't think it is quite that simple. They are a bit surprised by the message as they didn't think they used OpenGL for anything other than display of atlas images... which wouldn't be done at program startup. Further, they didn't use it at all in the prior version of the program (though I am not sure it was the same shared library reported in the previous version of their program). They'll be looking further into it on their side today, but they suspect its an OS X install problem. However, I am not having any other problems.

What standard apps use OpenGL? (So I can exercise those libs to see if it fails on anything else?)

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2004, 11:59 PM

The OS itself uses OpenGL all the time if you have a Quartz Extreme-capable machine.

However, OpenGL and OpenGL Utility (or GLUT) are two different things.

You can check your application to see what libraries it links against with this terminal command:
$ otool -L /PathToYourApplicationHere/YourApplication.app/Contents/MacOS/YourApplication

You'll get results something like:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Cocoa.framework/Versions/A/Cocoa (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 9.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/GLUT.framework/Versions/A/GLUT (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/OpenGL (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 71.1.1)

If your application is really linking against GLUT, one thing you can do is compare the GLUT framework installed on your machine against a known good version on another machine. Your problem may stem from doing an upgrade install of 10.3 over 10.2, a clean install is always safer.

kennedy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
You can check your application to see what libraries it links against with this terminal command:
$ otool -L /PathToYourApplicationHere/YourApplication.app/Contents/MacOS/YourApplication
otool: Command not found.

My path is /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
Where is 'otool'?

And where are the man pages? I was trying to remember the
traditional unix command for that... I can remember 'strings'...
but even 'man strings' returns nothing.

Your problem may stem from doing an upgrade install of 10.3 over 10.2, a clean install is always safer.
Oh, actually I "upgraded" using archive and install... so, it should be a clean install.
The only place I actually did an unclean "upgrade" was OS X Server, as it does not offer the archive and install option... so, a clean install of a working OS X Server is not feasible.

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2004, 05:34 PM

otool and strings are both in /usr/bin for me, and both have man pages. But you probably need to install the Xcode developer tools to get them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules