Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ibook 14" Resolution Is More Than Adequate!

Ibook 14" Resolution Is More Than Adequate!
d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 04:53 PM

sorry, but im really getting worn out hearing people bicker about the screen res on the 14"ers. its fine. get over it. its as good or better than most wintel boxes.

can we all just stop this crap? this forum is so overrun with bitching and moaning about the 14"s screen. IT IS FINE. buy a 14" for whatever reason, but if you dont, dont blame it on the screen res.

thanks
Dan.

... and yes, i have a 14" ibook.

mblchris
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 05:28 PM

Judging by what I've seen at the Apple Store, I have to agree. People seem to forget that when they had their 15" CRT monitors the max most people used was 1024x768. Plus, 15" CRT monitors have a viewable area generally of 14.1-14.2 inches, so it's the same general size as the ibook 14".
kuso: Athlon 1800+, Debian Linux
baka: Athlon T-Bird 750 mhz, Debian Linux
kisama: K6-2 450 mhz Cobalt Raq4, Debian Linux
impo: K6 300 mhz Cobalt Raq3, Debian Linux
yarou: ibook G4 933 mhz, Currently a subject of Apple tyranny

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 06:06 PM

I would rather have the 14" over my 12" any day of the week but money is the issue. People complain about how much more portabe the 12" is. There isn't that much of a difference in size and I have found the screen to be excellent. If you want to complain about non-portable look at the 17" PB.

These are the same people that put down the look of the newer model G3 iBooks. I like the way mine looks and the performance. I'm not big on the "ice" look but you won't hear me putting it down in every other thread. I like the all white look a little better but that's just me. Some people you just can't please.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 06:37 PM

1024x768 on an 14" is ridiculous today. The only reason for Apple is to avoid challenging the 14" iBook with the Powerbooks, screenwise, and to avoid cost. 1024x768 is the perfect size for a 12" screen, not 14".
I don't guess people are blaming the 14" in any way. If someone really want's the bigger screen, the 14" iBook is the perfect machine. But, many people who are newbies, don't get the difference between the two models, and often underestimate what 0.5 kg can mean.

d4nth3m4n  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
1024x768 on an 14" is ridiculous today. The only reason for Apple is to avoid challenging the 14" iBook with the Powerbooks, screenwise, and to avoid cost. 1024x768 is the perfect size for a 12" screen, not 14".
I don't guess people are blaming the 14" in any way. If someone really want's the bigger screen, the 14" iBook is the perfect machine. But, many people who are newbies, don't get the difference between the two models, and often underestimate what 0.5 kg can mean.
fine, but is it worth having 10,000 threads??

im just tired of sifting through the same shi'ite day after day in this forum trying to get to something of substance.

maybe a mod should post a sticky about the search function?? just a thought..

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
fine, but is it worth having 10,000 threads??

im just tired of sifting through the same shi'ite day after day in this forum trying to get to something of substance.

maybe a mod should post a sticky about the search function?? just a thought..
Didn't you just start one more? Oh, wait, I chimed in, too!

d4nth3m4n  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 08:18 PM

i started this one to be an end all. we are wasting our time.

sidenote: is it safe to assume that supplying the 14"ers with lcds would increase the price of an already semi-expensive consumer grade computer?? i cannot imagine that a screen with a tighter native resolution would be the same price (or cheaper) than the current 1024 lcds.

dmw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 10:23 PM

I just picked up my 14" 1 ghz iBook friday. I love it. The resolution seems excellent after 3.5 years on my clamshell at 800X600. Its no bigger than the clamshell and weighs less.

Dan

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
The 14" iBook is still lighter than my old PB 540c. 9.5" active matrix, 2 batteries, and the best looking laptop of it's day. Still one of my favorite designs. I miss that little guy

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 11:45 PM

I think the resolution on the 14" iBook is just fine. It's certainly not "ridiculous." However, it's also not "as good or better than most wintel boxes." That's just plain ignorance. Most Wintel laptops have 1024x768 screens, be they 12", 13.3", 14", or even 15". Many 14" and 15" ones also have the option for 1440x1080, but most people who have those run them at 1024x768 anyway.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

cobra27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by discotronic:
I would rather have the 14" over my 12" any day of the week but money is the issue. People complain about how much more portabe the 12" is. There isn't that much of a difference in size and I have found the screen to be excellent. If you want to complain about non-portable look at the 17" PB.
It is more than just the size though, the 14" is 0.5kg heavier than the 12". And having that extra weight on my back for considerable time means that it is less portable . Also, because of its larger size, a bigger bag is needed, which adds to the portability factor etc.

For people who don't mind the above, the 14" is great too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules