Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Finally, Mac drivers for SC101 and SC101T!

Finally, Mac drivers for SC101 and SC101T!
DataDoc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2009, 04:28 PM

I use both a PC and Mac. So far I have been unable to share my external storage in an easy and reliable way. I use the SC101T for external storage on my PC, but have been limited to the all but obsolete Firewire and USB storage for my iMac. I suppose I could use a NAS, but why go to that expense when Netgear has such a nice little 2-bay network storage device that outperforms any NAS.

To my delight, I found a third party developer that has software that will allow me to use the SC101T with both the PC and Mac. It's called the Mac Storage Managerfrom a company named Newt Data Systems. I found them on the Web and downloaded their package. It's not freeware, but what the hey. I can now share my photos, tunes and movies on both systems. I have scanned the forums and blogs and found no negatives from users, so I gave it a try. It works!

I just wanted to share the news with other Mac users. This has been a sore spot with users ever since Netgear released the SC101.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2009, 04:25 PM

What about the SC101T didn't work with Macs? OS X should connect fine to any SMB share.

DataDoc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2009, 10:06 PM

The SC101 and it's higher performance sister SC101T are not NAS devices. They don't talk SMB, CIFS, NFS, or even Apple Talk. They use a protocol patented by Zetera and licensed to Netgear (and now Newt Data Systems).

Sure, you can relay data to and from the SC101T through a Windows computer using SMB, but if you want to talk directly to the SC101 with a Mac, you need to have the right software running on the Mac.

The Newt Data systems software lets any number of Macs use and share the files on a SC101T among themselves or with a Windows PC. That means you can travel with your MacBook and still connect with your SC101T when you get home without having to turn on a PC.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2009, 07:37 PM

Wow, gross. They're not even that cheap.

illdourmum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2009, 10:00 PM

i had Great Success!

so i got XP running on Parallels and SC101 utility running on XP!

Parallels has "shared folders", so i just set the SC101 drives to share with OS X and VOILA!

GREAT SUCCESS!!!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2009, 12:44 AM

The SC101/SC101T use a protocol similar to iSCSI, but not quite. I've steered clear from them because they were a Windows-only product when they were launched. I opted for the DNS-323/321 because it used SATA drives and exported the volumes in either NFS or SMB/CIFS (AFP support if you hack it, which is easy to do).

Forum Links
Forum Rules