Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Buzz coming out from ADC display

Buzz coming out from ADC display
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2013, 03:44 AM

My vintage set-up needs your help.

I have this Apple Cinema Display (ADC connector) attached to a G4 MDD which comes with the ADC port as well. I can hear a loud buzzing coming out from it as long as the display is working and not set to put to sleep by moving the mouse pointer to a hot corner of the screen.

One thing I know for sure, the buzzing is not coming out from the G4's Apple Pro Speakers. Mouse and keyboard are both corded ones. Wi-Fi is always off.

The Scandyna speakers you can spot at the picture belong to a Mac Pro, but they don't make any difference by being on or off. Mac Pro gets to the web through Ethernet as well.

No software updates for the G4 regarding anything that could lead to solve this issue.

As fretful as it is, I would like to know if there is anyone which have had an experience like this one. I have done some search and all I was able to find out is that this is kinda common if you have some non-ADC display attached to an ADC capable Mac via some adapter and it's solved by lowering the display's frequency to 75 Hz.

But as stated before, my set-up is as straight as it gets. ADC display, ADC capable Power Mac (ATI Radeon 9000.)

Happens with Mac OS X 10.5, Mac OS X 10.4 and Mac OS 9.2.2

ibook_steve
Jul 9, 2013, 10:04 AM

I have and use the exact same display with my MBP through a mini Displayport to DVI adapter (then through the DVI to ADC adapter). I don't have any buzzing. But buzzing in any older display is usually due to the backlight inverter dying. It's probably not worth it to try to get this fixed.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2013, 03:09 AM

Thanks Steve,

I don't want to get rid of this display. Should the backlight inverter be the culprit here, would any of these suit it.?

TheBookYard :
TheBookYard :

ibook_steve
Jul 10, 2013, 07:47 PM

I couldn't tell you. They look right, but you'd probably have to disassemble to display to see if they are right.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2013, 02:10 AM

I just realized that both of them are out of stock. Bummer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules