Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > LOVE Telemarketers! LOVE Them!!!

LOVE Telemarketers! LOVE Them!!!
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2003, 03:16 PM

Right? Huh?
Yeah, me too. Well, finally I can say it. I got me some tax dollars at work.
https://www.madonotcall.govconnect.com/Welcome.asp
All you MA residents, sign up. Spread it around. If the program is REALLY popular, it will spread- not to mention force them to keep it up.
And hell. The Telemarketers may have already found loopholes, but we CAN hope, can we not?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 03:27 PM

Just to add, for Minnesota folk: Do Not Call info

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2003, 03:38 PM

Boy do I wish that would come to NJ...but never will.

Found out earlier this year, NJ is the telemarker capital of the world. Most of those companies are right here... What I don't know is why. Perhaps because it's between Phili and NY ... but I'm not sure.

It's a popular HS job to work as one... though you get paid real well... you get fired in a matter of weeks.

I refuse to resort to that. I hate them, and it would be wrong to become what I hate....

Should note that I do curse, and use sexually explicit phrases when I know it's a telemarketer... going to make them angry, and embarassed at least... who knows, maybe one day, it will be someone I know!

ringo
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2003, 03:39 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2003, 03:40 PM

NJ sucks for telemarketers.

Always at dinnertime. ALWAYS.

Then they try to be your friend. I hate these mofos.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 05:31 PM

Personally, I don't believe these "Do Not Call" lists will be effective. Maybe for three or four months, but eventually one of the telemarketing outfits will get the idea to sell the Do Not Call list to a national database, and then here we go again.

Then again, maybe I'm just cynical.
*LADIES AND GENTLEMEN: THE BITCH HAS LEFT TEH BUILDING*

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by PorscheBunny:

You? Never.

Atef's Carcase
Banned
Location: In Berlin, hangin' with the Lackey of Saddam, Gerhardt Schr�der.
Jan 2, 2003, 05:42 PM

Personally, I don't believe these "Do Not Call" lists will be effective. Maybe for three or four months, but eventually one of the telemarketing outfits will get the idea to sell the Do Not Call list to a national database, and then here we go again.

The Federal government of the Great Satan requires telemarketers to maintain a 'do-not-call' list. Requires it.
Current federal law requires that when telemarketers make sales calls, they state their name, the company they represent, that they are calling to sell something, and how they can be reached if the consumer wants to cancel the order or complain. The rules forbid calling residences before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m. And telemarketing firms must maintain a do-not-call list of those consumers who ask to be added to it. Anyone who documents telemarketers violating these rules can take legal action.
I don't remember where I got that, but it was some place authoritative. So keep tabs on the calls you get, and if you get more after telling them to put you on the no-call list, take 'em to court. A state-wide or national list would work the same, and they'd be required to check it every 30-90 days or something like that.

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Atef's Carcase:
The Federal government of the Great Satan requires telemarketers to maintain a 'do-not-call' list. Requires it.
So? The law require you to drive the speed limit. Do you?

Just because a list is maintained doesn't necessarily mean that it is actually used. Good luck on documenting violations; if they think that's what you're doing, they'll either lie or hang up. Nor does it mean that it isn't sold to others for their use, just because you told Fraudster A not to call you doesn't mean he can't sell the list to Fraudsters B-F, who promptly start calling you.

Atef's Carcase
Banned
Jan 2, 2003, 08:40 PM

Rarely. But when I get caught, I pay fines. Often very BIG fines.
they'll either lie or hang up.
Phone companies keep call logs for good reasons. Your Caller ID might not show the number, but you can shure as heck bet that the phone company when, who, and from where the call originates.
Nor does it mean that it isn't sold to others for their use, just because you told Fraudster A not to call you doesn't mean he can't sell the list to Fraudsters B-F, who promptly start calling you.
A national list would cut down on the value of selling lists, and a national list would mean no one could call, regardless of where they got the info.

passmaster16
Senior User
Jan 2, 2003, 11:04 PM

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 12:15 AM

any california or washington versions out there?

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 12:17 AM

...and speaking of telemarketers, I got a weird one today. They asked for the head of the household and didn't even know my name (even though their usual attempts at names are pretty lame, and mine's easy).

I told them they could call back when they have an idea who they're calling. :o

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Jan 3, 2003, 12:53 AM

I pretend I'm arnold with my very passable impersonation of him.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by sworthy:
any california or washington versions out there?
Hey! Don't skip over Oregon! We're important.. (and I'm too lazy to head over to Google and look myself)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2003, 02:19 AM

The people at Target that talk to passers-by of, "Would you like to receive 10% off your purchase by getting a Target Guest Card?" (credit card)
I put them on the same level as telemarketers.

I truly wish their employers wouldn't make them do that... doing it at the checkout is bad enough, but having a special booth set up for someone to assail every passerby? No, uncalled for.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2003, 09:16 AM

The law also does not whack me $5000 a pop for going 75 in a 65. Fiscal incentive. Hit them in the ONLY place it hurts them: the pocketbook.

MPC
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by SirCastor:
Hey! Don't skip over Oregon! We're important.. (and I'm too lazy to head over to Google and look myself)
I'm to lazy too. I got a thingy in the mail a few years advertising this. It's for real. 5 bucks a year or some ****. We probably pioneered this ****. It's been around for a long time. Tell the tele-marketers your recording the conversation and plan on filing a lawsuit since your on the list. That shuts them up.

Aloha, is that near PDX, sounds familiar. SE?

PorscheBunny
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 11:44 AM

Phone companies keep call logs for good reasons. Your Caller ID might not show the number, but you can shure as heck bet that the phone company when, who, and from where the call originates.
You obviously have never tried this yourself. You have to have a subpoena to get those records. You have to convince a judge that you have enough evidence to warrant that subpoena and someone in the local DA's that pursuing this is worthwhile.

Try it sometime. It'll end up costing you more than $5K just to get them a $5K fine.

It's just a paper law, made to make the politicians look like they're doing something when they aren't.

Atef's Carcase
Banned
Jan 3, 2003, 11:57 AM

It's just a paper law, made to make the politicians look like they're doing something when they aren't.
Then eventually the litigators will file class action lawsuits, which would fund the litigation and handle subpoenas and court costs. Plenty of exampls for that. The telemarketers would get the message, even if it took some time.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2003, 12:13 PM

Then eventually the litigators will file class action lawsuits, which would fund the litigation and handle subpoenas and court costs.
I have subpoena envy. Anyone know of a list for Oklahoma?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2003, 02:39 PM

Then eventually the litigators will file class action lawsuits, which would fund the litigation and handle subpoenas and court costs. Plenty of exampls for that. The telemarketers would get the message, even if it took some time.
These companies change owners/names about 3 times a month... no joke... constantly bought and sold.

Clients also switch on a regular basis.

Should also not ALL polticians use them. Those campaign phone calls aren't really from the politician. So they will NEVER be enforced. Not as long as their campaign would be negatively effected.

It's a paper law.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2003, 02:56 PM

You guys are a bunch of fuscking killjoys.
And I thought I was a cynic. I got nothing on some of you.
I have cut my telemarketing calls from three or four a day to one or two a week by doing one simple thing: pick up the phone. Listen. As soon as they begin to speak, I say, "sorry to interrupt, but I am going to ask you to take my name OFF of your call list and put it ON your Do Not Call list."
One month of hell. Life better ever since.
All this is going to do is dent the calls further.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2003, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
You guys are a bunch of fuscking killjoys.
And I thought I was a cynic. I got nothing on some of you.
I have cut my telemarketing calls from three or four a day to one or two a week by doing one simple thing: pick up the phone. Listen. As soon as they begin to speak, I say, "sorry to interrupt, but I am going to ask you to take my name OFF of your call list and put it ON your Do Not Call list."
One month of hell. Life better ever since.
All this is going to do is dent the calls further.
Tried that for months... no success at all. And as stated previously. Not worth suing over.

So nothing left but to torture them.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2003, 03:57 PM

Wisconsin

To sign up all you have to do is call this toll free number 1-866-9-NOCALL, or register on their Web site http://nocall.wisconsin.gov .

-Owl

Atef's Carcase
Banned
Jan 3, 2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
Tried that for months... no success at all. And as stated previously. Not worth suing over.

So nothing left but to torture them.
It would not surprise me, Robert, if you were lying or not saying the magic words: 'Put me on your do-not-call list.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules