Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > A Safari plugin opened terminal

A Safari plugin opened terminal
Tiresias
Dec 26, 2012, 08:03 AM

I have a rather vague understanding of terminal—in that I understand using it is the equivalent of performing open brain surgery on your computer.

It is why I stay away from it.

However, today this strange thing happened.

I downloaded the Plugin ClickforFlash which I thought would enable me to download YouTube videos now that Safari 6 has no Activity Window.

The plug from this unregistered developer showed up in my Downloads folder.

I double clicked on it.

Terminal opened.

Some line of code appeared. I selected it and pressed delete. My "delete" added more lines of code.

I quit terminal

Any explanations or concerns would be appreciated.

Thank you.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2012, 08:14 AM

You again...I see a pattern in your postings...seems you're an anti-Apple fear mongerer. First your wife's iPhone somehow intercepts your texts and now Safari has been compromised.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
You again...I see a pattern in your postings...seems you're an anti-Apple fear mongerer. First your wife's iPhone somehow intercepts your texts and now Safari has been compromised.
Huh?

Original poster: files with .command extensions will open in the terminal, as will anything else mapped to it. In theory unchecking "open safe files" should prevent this, do you have this option checked or unchecked? I would assume that Safari doesn't consider Terminal command files unsafe.

Why don't you open up the file that was downloaded in a text editor and paste the commands here so we can help you see whether you should be concerned about the commands that were run? They could have been completely harmless.

Tiresias  (op)
Dec 26, 2012, 09:03 AM

Hello Internet. Good to hear from you.

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Huh?

Original poster: files with .command extensions will open in the terminal, as will anything else mapped to it. In theory unchecking "open safe files" should prevent this, do you have this option checked or unchecked? I would assume that Safari doesn't consider Terminal command files unsafe.

Why don't you open up the file that was downloaded in a text editor and paste the commands here so we can help you see whether you should be concerned about the commands that were run? They could have been completely harmless.
Thank you. That's a helpful suggestion.

However, I deleted everything in my paranoid.

It wasn't much code. My name. A few dollar signs. Punctuation.

Isn't there some way of monitoring or resetting terminal?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2012, 09:06 AM

It's "ClicktoFlash".

I've recently downloaded a plugin that required the installation of SIMBL. I didn't bother after that. But that was a .bundle file that also opened in Terminal.

The regular version of ClicktoFlash or ClicktoPlugin will come as a .extension (IIRC). Double-clicking them will open them in Safari.

If that isn't what happens, you're downloading the wrong version.

Tiresias  (op)
Dec 26, 2012, 09:09 AM

Yes, it was ClickToFlash.

Hm.

A little white Lego cube appeared in Downloads. That's what I double clicked and that's what opened terminal.

It was also from an "Unregistered Developer" and I had to bypass my security preferences to open it.

And all for a video of a Japanese woman eating toothpaste.

lol

Tiresias  (op)
Dec 26, 2012, 09:11 AM

But I found the website I downloaded from...

http://clicktoflash.com/index.html

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2012, 10:41 AM

Read the text in the red box at the top of that page.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2012, 02:54 PM

My posting was due to the OP posting in a few forums hard to believe situations that demonstrate seemingly serious iOS/OSX/Safari flaws. Seemed very suspicious... That and my invisible friend told me to post

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2012, 04:01 PM

My posting was due to the OP posting in a few forums hard to believe situations that demonstrate seemingly serious iOS/OSX/Safari flaws. Seemed very suspicious... That and my invisible friend told me to post
The validity of his claims would have stood on their own even with zero posting history.

Forum Links
Forum Rules