Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power Supply Exchange Program

Power Supply Exchange Program
maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 02:19 PM

Just announced- for those of you who can't stand the noise:
http://depot.info.apple.com/?program=acoustic

GO git 'em.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2003, 02:40 PM

wow--good show, Apple
( Last edited by scottiB; Feb 21, 2003 at 03:12 PM. )

maximawoo
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 02:48 PM

Just order mine.

Got an email confirmation and it reads:

Order Confirmation
Power Mac G4 Power Supply Exchange Program

Orders will begin shipping in limited quantities on: March 10, 2003

Order status updates will be sent via email weekly. Please do not call requesting order status.

Shipping time may vary. Please allow 4-6 weeks delivery after March 10, 2003.
I also downloaded the DIY pdf file...looks pretty intimidating, but then again, I never got that deep into this machine.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 21, 2003, 02:59 PM

This is staying at the top.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Leonis
Senior User
Feb 21, 2003, 03:16 PM

The installation of the Power Supply seems kinda complex
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

tikki
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 03:24 PM

OK, so what if I walked into an Apple Store today and purchased. Would it have the 400W supply, or the new 360W one?

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 03:37 PM

No. Powersupply swaps ARE time consuming, but they are really no big deal. I got the process on this model down to 10 minutes. The design is much better than older models. Not QUITE as much knuckle busting.
Anyone who needs help with it can feel free to email me. I do it for a living and I'm happy to share some skills and lessons learned.

Please don't be intimidated by this modular swap. If you don't mind spending the 20 for some quiet, do it. We'll get you through.

Akarso
Feb 21, 2003, 03:40 PM

i wonder how quiet the new ps will be...well, i'll find out in a few weeks(months?) when the thing ships.
(oi)

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2003, 05:41 PM

I'll definately be bringing my Mac to an Apple Store for this replacement. I don't want to be held responsible for any issues that may be caused by this replacement.

This is an awesome move on Apple's part!

morgantruce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 06:01 PM

I just ordered my replacement power supply exchange kit. The instructions (in the 23 page pdf file) look VERY well thought out---and probably tested successfully on several non-technical types.

Hey guys: Do you think many other companies would bother with complaints about noise? It's also nice to be trusted to be able to do the work yourself. I don't know about you, but I hate the thought of having someone else (who might not care as much as I do) work on my equipment.

I bought this dual 867 MDD for my daughter who will be taking it to college next fall. Since I bought it, I've been listening to that racket and trying to imagine how her room mate is going to hate her right from the start!

I'm glad I was patient with Apple--they needed time to get the whole thing worked out.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2003, 06:18 PM

Anyone know if the program is available in the UK? The fan in my dual 867 Powermac is just about driving me mad...

Peace,

Marc

Edit! Woot! Just ordered mine...�12.95 from the Applestore UK. Shipping begins 10th March..
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Feb 21, 2003 at 06:29 PM. )

keywest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 07:26 PM

As far as I can tell, your dual 867 is not eligible for the replacement. It has to have been the latest release as of August 2002. I entered my serial number for my dual 867 and got a message saying my serial number was not part of the program.
PowerBook 185c, iBook Clamshell, iBook 500, Power Mac G4 Dual 867

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by keywest

As far as I can tell, your dual 867 is not eligible for the replacement. It has to have been the latest release as of August 2002. I entered my serial number for my dual 867 and got a message saying my serial number was not part of the program.
Sorry, keywest, but which posters dual 867 were you talking about? Also, I don't understand why the Apple site would say you weren't eligible. As far as I know, Apple has only produced one model of dual 867.

keywest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 09:20 PM

Edited by keywest
I went back and registered using the serial number off the cpu instead of the number supplied by "system info' which added a couple of letters to the number. I was mistaken in my original post. I am covered. Sorry.

Original post
(You're right, I missed a post that referred to another user with a Dual 867. I thought the same and am a little confused myself why my machine isn't covered, but I am just reporting what happened when I attempted to register for the power unit. Apple responded that my machine wasn't eligible. I am assuming that my computer was manufactured after August 2002 and that is the cut-off date. If someone can clarify this for me I would be greatly appreciative."
( Last edited by keywest; Feb 21, 2003 at 09:27 PM. )
PowerBook 185c, iBook Clamshell, iBook 500, Power Mac G4 Dual 867

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 12:05 AM

i had the same problem this afternoon, i tried using the serial number in system profiler and it didn't work. i had crawl on the ground behind the machine to copy the one the back.

i hope they ship out early.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2003, 12:35 AM

Whoever does decide to bring theirs to an Apple Store should be aware that they first must receive their new part from Apple and bring it in. There will most likely be an installation charge as this is not a repair but a voluntary replacement. And, don't worry, your machine'll be in good hands.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by keywest.

I am covered.
Glad to hear it. Me too. Hope it really helps.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2003, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by TheMosco:
i had the same problem this afternoon, i tried using the serial number in system profiler and it didn't work. i had crawl on the ground behind the machine to copy the one the back.

i hope they ship out early.
Strange. I did use the serial number from the system profiler, and it was accepted. Oh well, as long as I get the replacement, I am happy.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2003, 08:42 AM

I checked the serial on system profiler against that on the back of the machine...

The one on the profiler has dashes and an extra 3 lower case characters at the end... I omited these and the serial was accepted just fine...

Just got this email as well from [email protected] or something (no graphics, no nice fonts, just plain text!):

"Order Confirmation

Orders will begin shipping in limited quantities on: March 10, 2003

Order status updates will be sent via email weekly. Please do not call requesting order status.

Shipping time may vary. Please allow 4-6 weeks delivery after March 10, 2003."

Hmm, it kind of has a 'never contact us again you complaining fool, we are doing this from the goodness of our heart and you WILL appreciated it' kind of feel to me... but that may just be me as I'm a bit sensative to tone on these things

Peace,

Marc

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 10:06 AM

So I'm just wondering how difficult this will be to install. I've put an extra hardrive and cd drive in without too much hassle, so I think I should be able to do this. Taking it to an apple authorised place is not really an option for me in the UK, there's not one for miles.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
So I'm just wondering how difficult this will be to install. I've put an extra hardrive and cd drive in without too much hassle, so I think I should be able to do this. Taking it to an apple authorised place is not really an option for me in the UK, there's not one for miles.
I'll bet it is easy...

They are sure to have tested it, and the instructions, on loads of people, both with technical experience and without. If it was too hard they would make it an Apple only install...

I wouldn't stress about it...

Peace

Marc

morgantruce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2003, 09:45 PM

The more I think about this... I'm kind of surprised this program got past Apple's legal department. Giving customers a set of instructions on how to replace their own power supply sounds like the sort of thing that brings a certain cheer to hungry bottom-feeding lawyers.

I would not be surprised to hear a sudden change in plans from Apple--but I hope not. I like projects like this.

-----

Let's see now... touch one finger against the back of the cabinet, and another in the socket---or was that in your pocket?

JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 09:49 PM

Wow this is good news. I can't wait to get my kit installed.

Rand
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2003, 12:58 AM

My MD Dual 1.25 runs very quietly; only had it do it's windtunnel for a few short minutes in OS9 a few months ago....

...is there any reason to exchange?

what are the ACTUALL differences in the power suplies? Do I lose anything (other than 20$)?

tia

-Rand

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2003, 01:05 AM

It's really not that big a deal. Be glad you don't have a 2/800 quicksilver. Those are the REAL windtunnels
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Cipher13
Feb 23, 2003, 08:57 AM

Max is right - while time consuming, this is a very easy procedure. Don't worry about doing it. If you've ever changed a lightbulb...

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Rand:
My MD Dual 1.25 runs very quietly; only had it do it's windtunnel for a few short minutes in OS9 a few months ago....

what are the ACTUALL differences in the power suplies? Do I lose anything (other than 20$)?

tia

-Rand
you loose 40 watts of power but from what i heard the power supply fans in the new one are temp controlled. you also get a new system fan. i can't confrim the temp controlled thing though.

JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Rand:

-Rand
I don't think so. Not if you're satisfied with the current noise level, more or less. I have one of the early dual gig MDDs and it's excruciatingly loud. This exchange program will be a blessing for me. After I get it installed I'm going to lay down some acoustic dampener. I'm pretty noise sensitive.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by morgantruce:
The more I think about this... I'm kind of surprised this program got past Apple's legal department. Giving customers a set of instructions on how to replace their own power supply sounds like the sort of thing that brings a certain cheer to hungry bottom-feeding lawyers.

I would not be surprised to hear a sudden change in plans from Apple--but I hope not. I like projects like this.

-----

Let's see now... touch one finger against the back of the cabinet, and another in the socket---or was that in your pocket?
Ahh! I see Steve's secret plan!... Current MDD buyers will follow Apples instuctions to the letter... and when they plug the machine back in and boot up, 'BAM!' won't be around to complain in the future about any dodgy designs...! They won't catch me out... I'm going to throw the instrutions away when I get the kit and work it out myself

Peace,

Marc

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2003, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
It isn't. Really, guys. If you can handle swapping a HD, you can do this. A couple of screws, disconnecting the main power cable and feeding it through the cage, same with the extension power cables. Reverse the procedure to install the new one. Really. THis ain't rocket science. Programming the VCR is more complicated than this. It has not hing to do with being a "techie type". Can you follow doirections? Can you pay attention to how ithe original module comes out? You can do it. Seriously, it is no big deal.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2003, 12:58 PM

As far as legal stuff in concerned, it does not apply. This replacement is MODULAR (as opposed to opening up the module to, say, swap the fans out). There is no modification to the module and no real mod to the system itself. This falls under "CIP", Customer Installable Part. They wouldn't do it if it were not easy.
The power supplies themselves are not radically different. Better quality fans, dampeners. It should reduce the noise by half.

EnVoy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 03:09 PM

If you purchased an extended warrenty plan when you bought your machine (say from MacWarehouse), does this cause problems with that? Void it or something?

JB72
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by EnVoy:
If you purchased an extended warrenty plan when you bought your machine (say from MacWarehouse), does this cause problems with that? Void it or something?
I don't know. But this is from the Apple FAQ:
Q. Are the new components covered by a warranty?

Yes. Both power supply and system fan are covered by a 90-day warranty or the remainder of the warranty or your Apple extended service agreement (such as AppleCare Protection Plan) covering the Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) computer into which they are installed, whichever is longer.

I can't wait to hear the results when these new packages get installed.

mdavis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by Leonis:
The installation of the Power Supply seems kinda complex
Hahaha, yeah, right... http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=147740

derekn
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 10:32 PM

Best thing to do is call or email them. They have lifetime tech support for the life of a product bought from them. I'm guessing it won't void it as long as it's done by an authorized service provider.

maximawoo
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2003, 02:46 AM

http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10657

After hearing this movie, I don't know if I want the new power supply. (Note, the MDD shown are the new 800 Firewire model)

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2003, 04:33 PM

No. As I said, this is a modular replacement. It will not fall under any warranty voiding category. Unless you modify the module itself (for instance a couple of my customers asked to have the fans replaced in their power supplies. THAT is warranty voiding). This is also an Apple sanctioned fix. WHich means the part itself is warrantied and your extended warranty will be completely uneffected.

maxelson  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2003, 04:35 PM

Oh- as for that movie describing the high pitched whine- this noise is a result of the fan noise. Remember, we are not dealing with the actual SOUND chip problem. That's different.
I'll be getting in some modules for replacement next week and I'll report back as to the effectiveness of the fix.
Also, this movie seems to be the same one comparing an original dual 450 with an UNmodified dual 1.25. The fix will gain you some relief. Just how much has yet to be seen.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Also, this movie seems to be the same one comparing an original dual 450 with an UNmodified dual 1.25. The fix will gain you some relief. Just how much has yet to be seen.
Keep in mind that the MDD is actually a new model with a FW 800. So this might be what us first generation MDD people can expect after we install the new power supplies.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2003, 03:16 AM

you can buy a box from crywolf
http://www.crywolf.net/sales/hardware/cms_silencer.html
It makes the nosie zero. Works great.
The CoolMac Silencer uses heat pipe and air flow technologies to provide silent cooling while eliminating the need for external fans. The CoolMac Silencer reduces the noise of an Xserve from 82 dB to 38 dB and a Power Mac G4 from 65 dB to 37 dB. What's more, the cabinet is airtight to prevent dust and dirt from contaminating the components.

HeyAndy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 06:54 PM

I just tried to submit my new dual 1.25 mhz Mac and got the following message:
The serial number provided indicates your Power Mac G4 does not need to participate in this program.

I guess I've got an improved power supply already. I can't say the noise is terribly bad, but there is a bit of a fan motor drone (more than just moving air). I've got it up on the desk next to my monitor and wouldn't mind it being a little more quiet. I'm going to dig a little deeper and see if there isn't some mistake...

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 10:45 PM

HeyAndy--

Is your new DP PMAC one of the latest models--specifically model number M8573LL/A ?? If so that explains it, because that model already has the new quieter power supply in it.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2003, 02:37 AM

Woo... filled out the form, but not shipping until "limited quanities around April 1"... Oh well, the noise really doesn't bug me very much but I'm still looking forward to a decrease.

mkarpinski
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 09:53 PM

Has anyone who ordered their replacement on or near the first day received any follow-up emails from Apple?

I did receive the first email right after I registered for the program.

Thanks!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2003, 04:30 AM

Woohoo! My machine will now be slightly less noisy 4-6 weeks after april 1

vasu
Senior User
Mar 8, 2003, 11:31 AM

i ordered a few days ago, and got the April 1 date as well.

-vasu

Phil Quinney
Mar 8, 2003, 11:33 AM

Hey All,

Just to further mkarpinski's enquiry - has anyone else received their e-mail status reports. I ordered on the Sunday after the program was launched and have only received the initial order confirmation.

Still - hopefully it will be shipping out on Monday!

Phil.

JVB_2112
Mar 8, 2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Phil Quinney:
Hey All,

Just to further mkarpinski's enquiry - has anyone else received their e-mail status reports. I ordered on the Sunday after the program was launched and have only received the initial order confirmation.

Still - hopefully it will be shipping out on Monday!

Phil.
I ordered right after the program was announced. I have only received the inital e-mail that said they would begin to ship on March 10th.

JVB
G5 Dual 2.0 GHz 1.5 GB RAM
ThinkPad T40 1.5 GHz 512 MB RAM
Palm Tungsten | T3
RIM Blackberry 6750
iPod 20 GB

povvy
Mar 8, 2003, 04:59 PM

Same here.

Ordered a couple days after the program was announced... no e-mails but the skimpy "confirmation."

Patrick.
povvy.com

maximawoo
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2003, 05:15 PM

I ordered the fan replacement plan on the day it was issued and I just received this email and it states:

Dear valued Apple customer,

Thank you for participating in the Power Mac G4 Power Supply Exchange Program. Due to an unexpected supply delay, limited quantities of the kits will begin shipping at the end of March 2003. There has not been a change to the original lead time Apple quoted you when you placed your order.

Product availability can change rapidly, and order status updates will be sent as soon as new information becomes available. Please do not call requesting order status.

We appreciate your understanding.
Sucks, but hey, I have no choice but to wait.

Forum Links
Forum Rules