Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Truncated new bluetooth keyboard

Truncated new bluetooth keyboard
tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2007, 05:50 PM

I really dig the new keyboard that was released today with the new iMac. It is slim and looks slick. I really like that they did away with the gap between the keys that leads to an abyss of gross stuff, like arrant hairs and evaporated OJ, aspirated accidentally while spontaneously laughing at a you tube video. With the metallic finish it would look like it matched my MacBook Pro much better than my current white keyboard.

Thus, I was all set to place an order for one until I realized that the bluetooth keyboard is truncated. The USB version is a full keyboard, but the bluetooth one is the same as a laptop keyboard. I want a wireless keyboard for my laptop when I am at my desk because I put my laptop on a stand, which is not comfortable to type on but does put the screen at a good height. But, I want a full size. I work with numbers and the keypad is one of the pleasures of working at my desk. Why would apple think I would want a laptop keyboard for my desk?

I know, I could get the USB one, but it sucks to be tethered to my computer with a cable that when I set my keyboard to the side, to make room for a non-computing activity, sweeps across my work space knocking over glasses of water , slacks of paper, and picture frames.

I know I am ranting (and thanks for reading) but I was wondering if anyone else agrees with my sentiments? Is anyone excited about the new bluetooth keyboard and thinks that the smaller form is an improvement?
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

ballison
Aug 7, 2007, 06:12 PM

I definately agree with you. I use pro tools all the time, and the num pad is used all over the place...Im very dissapointed but at the same time, Its way too cool to pass up...that is a FINE keyboard!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 10:07 PM

It's unfortunate that they don't offer both form factors in both wireless and wired. However, with what's presented, I'm strongly considering replacing my original bluetooth keyboard with the new "truncated" one. I can live without a numpad, and I'd love having a shorter distance to move my right hand between the keyboard and mouse.

StarCross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2007, 10:33 PM

I'm mouse-ambidextrous, and right now I currently use the mouse left-handed to reduce distance from it to the keyboard.

I mainly use my right hand for the arrow keys, and being a writer I depend heavily on the Home, End, Page up and Page Down keys. I could work with the new bluetooth keyboard like my iBook, but I will surely miss those keys (and drop my productivity a bit). The number pad I can live without. It is the aforementioned keys I wish Apple would have included at the very edge in a column or as smaller keys like some PC laptops.

At least the annoying Help key is taken out.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2007, 11:17 PM

I love the new keyboard and ordered two today. It'll be a joy to type on like a MacBook. I don't do a lot with numbers so won't miss the number pad. As slpdLoad said, having the mouse much closer to the alpha keys will be great and having my keyboard centered on my keyboard "drawer" finally will be wonderful.

I understand all of your concerns. If I did a lot of bookkeeping (or whatever) I would have to have a number pad. I can key in numbers much faster with a num-pad. I would expect Apple to eventually do a Bluetooth extended keyboard after they see how well the USB version is received. If a lot of people dislike the design, maybe Apple won't do it in Bluetooth. I imagine it's costly to design and manufacture (up to) four new keyboards all at once. Personally, I was wishing the truncated version was available wired so it could have USB ports. (sigh)

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Aug 7, 2007, 11:52 PM

The thing that has me miffed about these keyboards in general is why they couldn't put the volume keys on F3-F5 instead of F10-F12? It'll prove so hasslesome going between the keyboard and my MacBook. I may as well stick with my current keyboard (despite my love for the flat keys). D:
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 09:24 AM

What I don't understand is why in the world Apple took out the Apple key. This key has been on Apple keyboards since at least the Apple II. What gives? Personally, I'm not very fond of the change.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
What I don't understand is why in the world Apple took out the Apple key. This key has been on Apple keyboards since at least the Apple II. What gives? Personally, I'm not very fond of the change.
All of the keyboard commands shown in menus use the command symbol, not the apple symbol. Makes sense to dump the apple symbol to avoid confusion, especially for newbies. I've never liked referring to the key as the apple key. Sounds silly, kinda like the windows key sounds silly.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 10:46 AM

Agreed, it's much better having the word "command" on the key. Some people even thought it was like the windows key on a windows keyboard, and thought pressing the "Apple Key" would open the Apple menu. It's much improved now.

ballison
Aug 8, 2007, 11:00 AM

just found a wireless numpad from logitech that looks pretty sexy...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke.../3075&cl=us,en

jjk5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 12:06 PM

I called my local Apple Store yesterday to see if they had any of the bluetooth keyboards and the gentleman wasn't sure when they'd be getting those in stock. Has anyone heard when they are expected to be stocked in the Apple Stores? Should I just order one online and wait the 3-5 week shipping time?
MacBook Pro 2.2 | iPhone 3G 16GB

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 12:07 PM

I was curious myself.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 8, 2007, 12:46 PM

I don't get it either. The whole point of an external keyboard is not to have to use the tiny laptop keyboard.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 02:16 PM

I am puzzled by their logic in NOT offering a wireless keyboard with a numeric key pad.. really. Anyone have any idea what they were thinking?
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

DakarÊ’
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 02:17 PM

Apple always seems to be against offering many options. That's probably what occurred here.

PartialPants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 04:34 PM

I too was deeply offended that there was no numeric keypad, then I started thinking about it more and realized I don't use mine on my bluetooth apple keyboard in the first place. Ok, Ok.. I use it to control the sound since the buttons are over there.

I don't want to wait 3-4 weeks for them either. I want one now!

tinkered  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2007, 09:14 PM

Thanks for this suggestion. This might be the solution for me. I am a statistician/data analyst and sometimes spend lots of time working with numbers and then other times typing very few numbers.

I actually carry a wired USB number pad around in my laptop bag for the road. Perhaps it is time for me to upgrade to the wireless one and only pull it out when I need it, like I do when I am on the road.

Originally Posted by ballison View Post
just found a wireless numpad from logitech that looks pretty sexy...

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke.../3075&cl=us,en
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

malone
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2007, 11:05 PM

Am I the only one who like the design of the old keyboard better? And I don't mean the loss of the keypad--I mean, aesthetically speaking, I prefer the old, more less wafer-looking, more solid-looking, white keyboards. They just look, well, prettier (imo).

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by malone View Post
Am I the only one who like the design of the old keyboard better? And I don't mean the loss of the keypad--I mean, aesthetically speaking, I prefer the old, more less wafer-looking, more solid-looking, white keyboards. They just look, well, prettier (imo).
I think the new one goes a bit better with the whole Aluminum look to be honest so I don't fault the aesthetic.. but I am just floored by their decision to limit the bluetooth to a basic layout.. mind you logic would have dictated that if you're going to limit a keyboard, you'd do the less expensive keyboard without the numbers, and then have a "pro" keyboard with the numbers AND bluetooth.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2007, 09:16 PM

The new truncated keyboards have me intrigued, and while I'm waiting for Apple to actually have a supply of the new bluetooth keyboards, can anyone point me to a (mac layout or not, doesn't matter) similarly truncated keyboard? I can't recall ever seeing one. Even just a wired, windows-based keyboard that doesn't have the numpad.

jjk5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
The new truncated keyboards have me intrigued, and while I'm waiting for Apple to actually have a supply of the new bluetooth keyboards, can anyone point me to a (mac layout or not, doesn't matter) similarly truncated keyboard? I can't recall ever seeing one. Even just a wired, windows-based keyboard that doesn't have the numpad.
Logitech DiNovo? There's other as well, but I've forgotten their names.
MacBook Pro 2.2 | iPhone 3G 16GB

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2007, 08:02 PM

I'm mixed over the loss of the Apple logo because it is a loss of continuity going back to original Apple keyboards, as others have stated. OTOH, spelling out command is a good choice. It's just too bad the Apple logo couldn't have fit along with the command symbol.

As for Expose support, I find it problematic that Apple stuck the multi-window key by itself, implying that that's the only Expose view supported. That layout makes little sense. They could have kept the previous keyboard's layout, but at the very least they should have made the Expose keys occupy F4, F5 and F6 because it looks like F5 and F6 are unused by default.

Hopefully future iterations will correct the minor issues currently affecting what appears to be a good step forward in keyboard design. Nonetheless, I'm eager to try one out and may even get one.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Drew
Aug 15, 2007, 08:11 PM

I think they truncated it to make the keyboard smaller. I really would have expected them to put all the good features on the bluetooth keyboard, like usb 2.0 and a number pad. Unfortunately, I have a bottom end imac c2d non-aluminum, so I don't have bluetooth, so I'm restricted to getting the wired version. Personally, I think the new keyboard suits the non aluminum imacs better.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I think they truncated it to make the keyboard smaller. I really would have expected them to put all the good features on the bluetooth keyboard, like usb 2.0 and a number pad.
Yep, this thing is going to beautifully small! I can't wait until mine arrives.

USB 2 won't work in a bluetooth keyboard since bluetooth is so slow. (Wouldn't it kill your batteries fast, even if it had it?) That's why I think Apple needs a wired version of the mini-keyboard, with USB ports.

Forum Links
Forum Rules