Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So much for the Star Trek Movie

So much for the Star Trek Movie (Page 4)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 07:29 PM

Is it me, or is the text or the thing on the top off center?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2008, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
what's with the giant eye on top? (actual question)
That's what we were talking about. The top one seems to be (the usually on the bottom) deflector and the bottom one some sort of jet that must do warp.

Or perhaps the top and bottom combined make the warp engine.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2008, 09:27 PM

Could it be the Bussard Collector?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2008, 01:20 AM

Duh.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Star Trek *does not* need a reboot. The original series was excellent and classic. The Next Generation was exactly that-- the creator's take on the next generation on Star Trek. It was different, and grew into its own, but it became Star Trek, too. Now, let's review what cam after:.... This is for profit. the Ferengi that run Paramount know that the Star Trek name still carries some weight for many, even after the slander of the last few series. But be sure, whatever this is, good or bad, praised by Nimoy or not, it *will not* be Star Trek. It will be something pretending to be.
You forgot to 'review' the movies. And you didn't state any reason for thinking that the new movie will *not* be Star Trek but just a pretense except for a few lame series that followed it which the makers of the movie acknowledge and agree with you on.

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I don't know enough of Star Trek history to say whether or not there are glaring discontinuities between the rest of Trek and Enterprise, really. If it does create that many holes, though, I can agree that such plot devices are problematic,...
I didn't watch most of those other series but was always shocked and bothered by the contradictions in TOS itself! Even as a kid.

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
There are only two possible outcomes for this movie:
1. Trekkers hate it, but it is well received by the general public
2. Trekkers hate it, and it is not well received by the general public.
Nah it could be good! The preview that David Letterman showed the other day looked REALLY good.

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Amazingly popular among a certain niche, sure.
I remember at one time 58% of Americans considered themselves to be 'trekkies'.

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Is it me, or is the text or the thing on the top off center?
I think it's turning and the motion make the back look like it's at a different angle than the front.

I think they should have made the Enterprise look as much like the original as they did Spock and Kirk.
It looks kinda weird being so swoopy and with such huge engines and dinky lower hull, especially in toy form.

Don't you think???

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 08:25 AM

So far the reviews are positive. 16/16 (100%) at Rotten Tomatoes.

I'm really looking forward to this Trek.

My favourite Trek movie so far: II - Kahn
My favourite style in a Trek movie: I - Motion Picture

I know the 1st is low on many people's lists, and I personally thought the ending of it was lame, and some of the ship shots were way too long, but I liked the serious approach to the acting. Shatner was reigned in and his acting was much more nuanced than in his other movies. In IV, the tone really changed. The movie worked, but sort of like a Disneyfied version of it, and everything was a big joke. Everything afterwards seemed more like TV episodes.

ghporter
Administrator
May 1, 2009, 08:44 AM

ST: TMP was a spectacle, and for those of us who became fans during the first-run of the original series, it was a wonderful chance to see our favorite characters again, and on the big screen to boot! The movie lacked focus, which was apparently sacrificed in favor of spectacle. But I still love watching it.

Kahn is my favorite overall, followed by Voyage Home and then Undiscovered Country. Voyage Home was a chance to deal with a real-world issue (like TOS tended to do) with a lot of fun thrown in (remember Tribbles? Harry Mudd?) Undiscovered Country did something similar, but more seriously, with less fun and more "wow!" factor. Christopher Plumber as Chang quoting Shakespear (with counterpoints such as McCoy saying "I'd pay real money for him to shut up!") was great, as was the concept of who might stand to "lose" from peace.

Of the TNG movies, First Contact is my favorite, with Insurrection a close second (also with some"internal corruption in Star Fleet" issues thrown in).

The best of the movies were like good episodes that ran two hours. The poorest movies were apparently attempts to make "movies" instead. And the key to these things is character vs. "gee whiz."

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2009, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
Y
Nah it could be good! The preview that David Letterman showed the other day looked REALLY good.
The preview I saw during LOST was awful, not that the creatures reminding of Gears of War helped it any...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 12:43 PM

First Contact and Undiscovered Country are my two favorite Star Trek movies.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
May 1, 2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
First Contact and Undiscovered Country are my two favorite Star Trek movies.
OMG. Undiscovered Country had to be one of the worst.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
To be honest, III and V were the only ones I didn't like at all, but VI is definitely at the bottom of the ones I liked.

The Wrath of Khan was definitely my favorite.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 08:43 PM

I just watched TUC recently. My God, it was bad. It had a good premise though.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
What didn't you like about it? I thought it was great.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2009, 11:16 PM

II
First Contact
VI
IV
TMP
III
Nemesis
Generations
V
Insurrection
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 2, 2009, 12:17 AM

How come you like even numbered movies better than odd numbered ones? ;-]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2009, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
II
First Contact
VI
IV
TMP
III
Nemesis
Generations
V
Insurrection
????????

5th? Really?

To each his own...

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2009, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
What didn't you like about it? I thought it was great.
Bad dialog, the stupid crap with the Klingon books (they didn't prepare for that? Not in the computer), the ridiculous segment of Spock and McCoy rigging a torpedo to do what the ship's sensors are supposed to be doing, the fact that Spock just HAPPENED to have a locator patch on him and the Klingons never ONCE noticed it on the uniform they didn't make him take off.

So many stupid things about that movie. It could have been 100x better.

ghporter
Administrator
May 2, 2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Bad dialog, the stupid crap with the Klingon books (they didn't prepare for that? Not in the computer), the ridiculous segment of Spock and McCoy rigging a torpedo to do what the ship's sensors are supposed to be doing, the fact that Spock just HAPPENED to have a locator patch on him and the Klingons never ONCE noticed it on the uniform they didn't make him take off.

So many stupid things about that movie. It could have been 100x better.
You didn't pay attention. They said ON SCREEN that the Klingons would be able to tell that they were using a Universal Translator and they didn't know in advance what the Klingons would ask. They modified a torpedo to use stuff from probes that study gaseous anomalies because for some reason the ships sensors couldn't do what they needed them to-and the torpedo needed to track the Bird of Prey. And Spock kind of knew that things could go badly and, being intelligent, planned for that contingency. It was all very consistent with the ST canon and history.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 2, 2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You didn't pay attention. They said ON SCREEN that the Klingons would be able to tell that they were using a Universal Translator and they didn't know in advance what the Klingons would ask.
Um, even as a kid I knew that part was stupid as just because they can't use a translator that speaks klingon they could still have it translate it into text on screen and they could read it back and not fumble through a book.

I loved #6 though, that i was one of the best.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You didn't pay attention. They said ON SCREEN that the Klingons would be able to tell that they were using a Universal Translator and they didn't know in advance what the Klingons would ask. They modified a torpedo to use stuff from probes that study gaseous anomalies because for some reason the ships sensors couldn't do what they needed them to-and the torpedo needed to track the Bird of Prey. And Spock kind of knew that things could go badly and, being intelligent, planned for that contingency. It was all very consistent with the ST canon and history.
I pay attention quite well, Glenn. You neglect to think that this information would be on their computer screens. This is the 23rd century and they're using books when they already have Universal Translators that could convert it to readable text. I mean seriously, we can do OCR scanning TODAY.

Or....listen to it with the UT and repeat it back.

And no, it wasn't consistent. It was ridiculous. How did Spock know things would go THAT badly? Did he anticipate the attack on Gorkon's ship? No. How could he?

And not one Klingon noticed the big large black patch on Kirk's uniform?

And why not tell Kirk? He just slapped it on his shoulder. How about "here's a locator patch for you. Hide it in your belt"?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2009, 01:09 PM

I thought Kirk already knew about it. He just didn't tell McCoy.

Still, VI wasn't a fave of mine. The absolute worst was V though. Shatner: You can't direct.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2009, 02:35 PM

I saw this yesterday. It was good. The actor who played Kirk seemed like he was going to be irritating in the commercials, but I think he wound up capturing the character well (when you consider that William Shatner gave the defining performance). Quinto's Spock is different from the original, but I think that's intentional, and he's interesting. Simon Pegg and Karl Urban are both perfect in the Scotty and McCoy roles.

There were two things that bugged me. One was the science, which not only seems like it was put in the movie just to tweak actual sci-fi fans (vacuum cleaner black holes that can trap superluminal ships), but isn't even consistent (apparently the effect black holes have on matter at any given moment is determined by plot necessity).

BTW, they use The Next Generation version of the "These are the voyages…" speech.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2009, 05:06 PM

It would seem that in the Starfleet chain of command, after the Captain and First Officer are out of the picture, it's kind of like calling shotgun on a road trip. First one to jump in the chair is the new captain.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2009, 05:20 PM

I think command goes to the highest ranking person wearing a gold shirt (or red in later series), unless stipulated by the captain.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2009, 06:18 PM

And no, it wasn't consistent.
Yes it was, you just weren't paying attention.

How did Spock know things would go THAT badly?
He didn't, but he assumed as much. Always prepare for the worst. The Chancellor for the Klingon High Council was murdered, seemingly by members of Kirk's crew for which he is responsible. Both Spock and Kirk knew that, at best, Kirk would be arrested, and at worst, Kirk would be killed the second he laid foot on the Klingon ship.

That is why shortly after Kirk was arrested Spock immediately went into action. Multiple crew members asked what would happen to Kirk, where would he be, etc. Spock knew exactly where Kirk would be and how he was being tracked, but he couldn't tell anyone because he knew the killers were still on board and that information couldn't be leaked. Both Scotty and Valeris asked Spock how he knew, he didn't tell either of them.

Did he anticipate the attack on Gorkon's ship? No. How could he?
Actually, Spock caught on when he noticed the neutron surge emanating from below their ship.

And not one Klingon noticed the big large black patch on Kirk's uniform?
I'm sure they did, but you missed the entire part of the movie with the shape shifter. She explained that the reason they were allowed to escape so easily was because the Klingon operatives were helping him to escape. If Kirk was caught trying to escape, that gave the opposition a credible reason to kill Kirk and get him out of the way.

And why not tell Kirk? He just slapped it on his shoulder. How about "here's a locator patch for you. Hide it in your belt"?
He did tell Kirk, he just didn't tell anyone else. Any Klingons not apart of the plot probably didn't care. Everyone knew where Kirk would be, the entire trial was broadcasted. The Klingons were also very proud of their shield system around Rura Penthe. It doesn't matter if anyone was being tracked because they wouldn't get off the surface anyway.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2009, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
It would seem that in the Starfleet chain of command, after the Captain and First Officer are out of the picture, it's kind of like calling shotgun on a road trip. First one to jump in the chair is the new captain.
It goes by seniority unless assigned by the captain.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2009, 07:04 PM

Why would it seem that way?
Chuck
___

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2009, 08:09 PM

Because in the trailer I just watched, someone says "We have no captain and we have no first officer" and Kirk says "We do now" and jumps in the chair. I would think that it would fall to the next highest ranking officer, not who calls it.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ghporter
Administrator
May 3, 2009, 09:11 PM

That's McCoy saying that. I think there's a LOT of story that we do not yet have any information on, and therein lies the crux of this "Yeah we do" statement. I'm looking forward to finding out.

By the way, it looks like Karl Urban is going to be great as McCoy...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2009, 09:18 PM

I haven't seen the movie, but this is my impression from the trailer: Kirk is made Captain of the Enterprise, but hasn't told anyone except Scotty. That's why Spock gets frustrated when he demands that Kirk answer how they got on the ship, but Kirk refuses and then tells Scotty not to answer. Spock still hasn't figured out that Kirk is captain, so complains that they don't have one or a first officer. Kirk hops into the Captain's chair, then makes Spock first officer.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2009, 01:26 AM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2009, 04:11 AM

Because in the trailer I just watched, someone says "We have no captain and we have no first officer" and Kirk says "We do now" and jumps in the chair. I would think that it would fall to the next highest ranking officer, not who calls it.
Heh, that's not quite how things go.

Chuck
___

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 07:37 AM

Kingons. Sheese! Couldn't find a pic online, but I found this.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 11:30 AM

I'm psyched.

The first two dozen reviews are in at RT, and Star Trek is currently 100% positive, with an average rating of 8/10. At least one of the reviews is a bit suspect though:

Originally Posted by a weird review

They actually aged Winona for this role. What, there aren't enough older actresses available in Hollywood? Yes, that sound you hear is not a photon torpedo blast, it's the sound of age-appropriate actors Meg Ryan and Sean Young banging their craniums against a bulkhead wall.

Trek auteur J.J. Abrams explained his choice this way: "Many actors wanted to be Spock's mom, but only one has actually gotten high on dilithium crystals."

Just an observation as I peer around the theater: The average Star Trek fan is fatter than a Mugatu. And I mean the kind of Mugatu that just ate a family of Mugatus.

Hey, fella, is that your mouth or the Doomsday Machine?

Earth to Rigel IV: Commander Decker would like one of his chins back!

Don't choke on the Klingon High Council! Here, wash it down with some Tranya!

Warning: Potato chips have a lock on us! Shields down! Avoid evasive maneuvers!

"Space in my refrigerator, the final frontier. These are the voyages of my ravenous appetite. Its ongoing mission: to explore strange new delicacies, to seek out barbecued life and assorted finger-foods from new civilizations; to boldly go where no decent sense of self-restraint has gone before."

So said one super-sized Trekkie, shortly before visiting the men's room to deposit the longest Captain's Log in Federation history.

BTW, it is not playing on IMAX in downtown Toronto. We'll have to "settle" for digital projection. Luckily it's playing Thursday, cuz I can't go Friday.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Heh, that's not quite how things go.

Hey, I was pretty close.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 01:00 PM

Mrs Timo went to see a screening last night. She is not a trekkie or even a SF fan.

She said it was (first half anyway; had to leave thereafter) awesome.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 01:04 PM

Oh and
"Trekkies Bash NEW Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'":

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...star_trek_film

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Kingons. Sheese! Couldn't find a pic online, but I found this.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2009, 10:43 PM

Seeing it tonight. Gotta love the perks of living in the future + preview screenings

freudling
Banned
May 6, 2009, 11:38 AM

I can't wait to see it too.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 11:52 AM

Funny how this thread started because the film looked bad, and has been getting nothing but almost perfect reviews.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 12:06 PM

To be fair, it did look bad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 12:09 PM

Funny how this thread started because the film looked bad, and has been getting nothing but almost perfect reviews.
Probably false hope. HOw many of those views were from a hardcore trekkies perspective?

Originally Posted by subego View Post
To be fair, it did look bad.

It bothers me to no end that they didn't get the angle right. I mean, if you're going to bother recreating a picture...

starman
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 12:32 PM

Define 'bad'. Do we have a 1966 perspective to compare against?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 01:16 PM

Do we have a 1966 perspective to compare against?

Ummm, yeah. In the picture.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Ummm, yeah. In the picture.
Funny.

What I mean is, how did the 1966 pic look to people back then? Trek was much different than other sci-fi shows at the time.

OreoCookie
May 6, 2009, 06:42 PM

So I've seen it today at the German premiere in Munich. Much better than expected. Check out Chekov 2.0

All in all, I liked it quite a bit.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2009, 06:57 PM

Yeah, saw it last night and it was brilliant!

It is truly a testament to JJ Abrams genius when he can take something as nerdy and niche as ****ing Star Trek and turn it into a girlfriend friendly movie!

ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2009, 10:16 PM

Funny.

What I mean is, how did the 1966 pic look to people back then? Trek was much different than other sci-fi shows at the time.
People were incredibly excited about Star Trek in 1966. There were so many things about the series that were out of the ordinary, that "different" is way too a mild term. NOBODY SMOKED! There were WOMEN as officers-a BLACK WOMAN EVEN!!!! They talked about social issues of great contemporary importance by casting them in a science fiction context and got people's attention focused on the problem not the people involved.

The VERY FIRST prime time interracial kiss was in the ST episode "Plato's Stepchildren." The entire structure of the Neilson ratings system was changed because of Star Trek, and the series introduced the idea of target audience demographics. If Neilson's numbers had been worthwhile there would never have been a schedule change to Friday evenings in the third season (a death sentence for most series up until rather recently).

starman
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 10:55 PM

^^ I know that . I'm just talking about the look of the pic specifically.

Forum Links
Forum Rules