Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "...gate" phenomenon

"...gate" phenomenon
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2012, 05:43 PM

Antennagate, batterygate, mapgate,etc....

The phenomenon is amazing isn't it? Like clockwork, anytime Apple releases a new device, the fAndroids come out in force and pick at the slightest imperfection and make mountains out of molehills.

It's fascinating to see message boards and forums light up with these haters EVERY time.

And within a month when people realize the issue is a non issue, everything goes back to normal.

The predictability of stupidity.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2012, 06:38 PM

Yeah I've noticed that. I honestly wonder if they left Maps half baked just so there would be something to complain about. Though in this case there's also, totally correctable purple halo gate. Part of the problem is that when the iPhone launches they know they'll have to wait a whole year, so they have to make enough click bait to really saturate the news cycle and try and serve up as many ads as possible.

With Android they can praise each new flagship model from each vendor every couple months, "OOoo the Samsung Galaxy S4 launched, this one has more MPs GBs and HDs than the previous model by a factor of .587!" And then, "Oh this is the new Motorola RAZZR Z! It has both stock Android and an irritating overlay AT THE SAME TIME!" And then there's always, "The new LG OPTIMUS MEGATRON, it will continue working through at least a third of your contract before changing into a stinking pile of garbage!"

With Apple though they just have one to two weeks to talk about how they love it aside from one thing that should make you real all the other BS articles about Android phones before you decide to either get an iPhone or go with a phone that doubles as a skate board.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 12:38 AM

Apple lets their products speak for themselves. You have to admire that. Android handsets will always sell on the strength of paper specs and nothing more. I spent some time working with Android tablets from Samsung and while they were serviceable, my first and largest complaint was that it wasn't an Apple product.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2012, 02:34 AM

In all fairness, by every account of everyone that I know, Apple's Maps is a pile of garbage. Some of them are newer to our particular city, and they say that it's absolutely terrible to navigate using it instead of Google's maps.

So, that's fairly Gate-worthy, no? After all, everyone's always aiming at the top....
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2012, 06:09 AM

I think the maps thing is a way more legitimate "gate" than most... that said, it effects everyone differently, personally, I'm loving the new maps app. The turn by turn is great and it always gets me to the right place. It's been flawless for me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2012, 07:17 AM

Purple-lense-flare-gate

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I think the maps thing is a way more legitimate "gate" than most
I think the exact opposite. With Apple Maps, the issue is incorrect data in the cloud, which can be fixed without requiring a hardware recall, or mandatory software update.

With a dataset this huge, you are bound to have problems, every other vendor does (Maybe Apple has more than others at this point, i'll give you that). And the vast majority of the data seems to be just fine (withe the incorrect ones being fixed when they are reported). Globally, streets are being renamed, borders shift, islands being discovered, etc....no atlas/map is going to be 100%, it is an ongoing process to maintain that inherently imperfect dataset. Heck Google has to constantly update their data as well, and most of it was fixed after users pointed out the errors.

My experience with the app and data is limited to the iPhone3GS, but I must say the app performs better, the graphics are a lot smoothers, it looks MUCH nicer, and the bandwidth it uses is a lot less. I think the errors in the data can and will be fixed via crowdsourcing the information from users.

The reason i am upset about this "...gate" habit is i put off upgrading to iOS 6 because they blew the errors way out of proportion. It's seems almost like a scare campaign to keep new users from buying a new Apple devices EVERYTIME.

Is Apple Maps unusable to the vast majority of people? Most certainly not.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2012, 04:56 PM

I think, in order to qualify for "x.Gate" status, there must be some attempt at a coverup involved.

To that degree, AntennaGate totally qualifies; whether or not it was a real thing, Apple originally denied it, then later "came clean" and gave the complaint legitimacy by offering free cases and changing their manufacturing process for the iPhone4.

MapGate? Doesn't qualify. Apple came clean straight out and said "Ya, it does kinda suck right now. Sorry".
(for what it's worth, the New Maps works fine for me, but I had to resort back to iOS5 Maps last weekend for transit directions in an unfamiliar city)

BatteryGate? Isn't that *every* iOS update?

Forum Links
Forum Rules