Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Why do I want an L3 Cache?

Why do I want an L3 Cache?
Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 01:27 PM

I have one, what function does it serve? What if I had a L1 and L2, why is this L3 better?

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 01:31 PM

It's not better or worse, it's simply another level of cache the microprocessor can keep data and program code in before he has to access the way slower memory.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
It's not better or worse, it's simply another level of cache the microprocessor can keep data and program code in before he has to access the way slower memory.
WOW. that's REALLY sexist.
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2003, 04:01 PM

It would only be apparent when your processor is chugging down a lot of info, like rendering and PS and the like.

For most normal use a super fast L2 is all you need. Which luckily my G4 has, but in PS and other CPU - intensive programs it tends to slow down noticably.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
I have one, what function does it serve? What if I had a L1 and L2, why is this L3 better?
By the way, you definitely have an L1 and L2 cache as well. The L1 and L2 caches are on the actual G4 chip. The L3 cache is on the CPU daughtercard.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
By the way, you definitely have an L1 and L2 cache as well. The L1 and L2 caches are on the actual G4 chip. The L3 cache is on the CPU daughtercard.
That's also sexist

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by morlium:
WOW. that's REALLY sexist.
Errr... DANG you're right. I wanted to write something else first and apparantly forgot to edit the he

PS: My microprocessor is male, HA!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 24, 2003, 05:59 PM

too bad its smaller then my processor

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 06:01 PM

I think this was from a reader comment on Slashdot, but I'm not sure. Maybe it'll clear things up.
'He' is the singular indefinite pronoun in English ("if a person drinks too much, he will likely experience a hangover"); 'He' also happens to be the masculine personal pronoun.
'She' is the singular pronoun of personification in English ("if England fails to advance America's foreign-policy ambitions, she will suffer terrible consequences"); 'She' also happens to be the feminine personal pronoun.
Confusing the two exhibits not a warm-and-fuzzy concern for the inclusion of women so much as a writer's or speaker's ignorance. Using the feminine personal pronoun as an indefinite article is as moronic as using the masculine personal pronoun for personification. Thus the captain greets us: "Welcome to my ship. Isn't he splendid?"

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 06:39 PM

The presence of a L3 cache makes a big difference in performance. Without a L3 cache, the G4/800 upgrade I tested felt no faster than the stock G4/500. With a L3 cache, it felt noticeable faster. In my games tests, the difference was about 30%.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 12:30 AM

If you want to test it, download the developer tools (from developer.apple.com) and install the CHUD tools. Then go to System Preferences and use the new CPU preference to turn off the L3 cache temporarily (and/or the L2 cache and second processor). Try running XBench with it on and off.

raferx
Senior User
Feb 25, 2003, 07:12 PM

I'm caring less and less about cache and all things G4 related... I just got an Athlon XP 2400 and it is, on average, 4x faster at rendering, and workflow tasks than my QS DP 1GHz... pretty depressing since it cost about 1/5th the price. Apple needs the 970 YESTERDAY!
Cheers,
raferx

CubieDubbie
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 09:29 PM

Actually you have a Cube, right??????? I had one and it's a very decent machine with 1 meg. of L2 cache. L3 is supposed to be faster. You could if you wanted to, put in an upgraded single or dual processor card that would obviously be way faster than what you have. Someone chime in here with the companies that make these cards. I only know of Powerlogix but, I know there are more of them. However, these cards are expensive at well at least over $500.00 or so. They would have the L3 cache and of course your Cube would be a new machine with one.

Hi I'm Ben  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by raferx:
I'm caring less and less about cache and all things G4 related... I just got an Athlon XP 2400 and it is, on average, 4x faster at rendering, and workflow tasks than my QS DP 1GHz... pretty depressing since it cost about 1/5th the price. Apple needs the 970 YESTERDAY!
thanks for your worthless post. I have a PC. I'm aware it's faster then my mac and will continue to be faster then my mac. That's the reason I bought it. I don't care about your Athlon 2400 and how much money you saved.

raferx
Senior User
Feb 26, 2003, 04:24 AM

thanks for your worthless post. I have a PC. I'm aware it's faster then my mac and will continue to be faster then my mac. That's the reason I bought it. I don't care about your Athlon 2400 and how much money you saved.
Yawn... wow a snappy answer!
Enjoy your G4 Cube 1.2ghz / 1 GB RAM / 64 MB GeForce 3 / 80 GB WD 8 MB Cache / 40 GB WD 7200rpm in F.W. Enclosure/ 12x CD-RW F.W. / 8x DVD / iBot / iMic/ iSub / Pro Apple Speakers / 17" CRT Apple Studio Display

and read this maybe?

http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
( Last edited by raferx; Feb 26, 2003 at 04:36 AM. )
Cheers,
raferx

Forum Links
Forum Rules