Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone have 2 GB RAM in their Powerbook?

Anyone have 2 GB RAM in their Powerbook?
hadocon
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 02:50 PM

I have 1GB and I page often. Using vm_stat in the terminal shows that I regularly have twice as many pageouts as pageins after only one day of useage (I could close apps, but I don't want to...). I am considering maxing my Powerbook to 2GB, but it is expensive, considering I am a student... I just want to hear some gleefull stories of Mac bretheren/sistern who have 2GB. Wots it like?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

ibook_steve
Aug 10, 2004, 04:27 PM

What the heck are you running that uses that much memory? Or are you just keeping a ton of apps open?

Steve

Keiretsu
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:
What the heck are you running that uses that much memory? Or are you just keeping a ton of apps open?

Steve
Not a bad question ..

aricher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 04:53 PM

I have 2 GB in my PB 17" 1.33 - I regularl;y work on huge Photoshop, Illustrator and Painter files. That is the main reason why I have so much RAM. Often times my file sizes are 1.5-2 GB in size and I find that 2 GB RAM and a speedy external drive really help to push those files through the machine. Unless you're doing some serious Photoshop I wouldn't mess with 2 GB.
Wherever you go... there you are.

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 08:17 PM

I have 2 gig in my 15". I just keep opening programs as I need them. I wish I had more. You can NEVER have enough memory. I use Quark, PS, Worldbook, Quicken, iPhoto, AOL and Safari, a few games and utilities, Starry Night, Panorama and others.

aehaas

hldan
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 09:03 PM

I have 2GB ram in my 17" 1.33Ghz as well. Computer runs quite speedy. I open the activity monitor from time to time and hardly ever have more than 10 page outs now. When I had 1GB installed I would get several thousands of page outs and of course the system would slow down at times when the computer runs out of available ram and has to access to the HD for virtual.

You can never have too much ram no matter what you use it for. Multitasking basic apps will use up a lot of memory.
I paid $600 U.S for (2) 1GB ram sticks. You can find them a bit cheaper on the web now.
When you have minimal amounts of available ram, in order to get the speediest performance consistantly you have to do one of 2 things. Either run the Cron scripts to restore the available memory that's stuck in the inactive state or restart. I found myself doing both quite frequently after playing 3D games or using Virtual PC with just 1GB total. Keep in mind that at least 20% of your ram is reserved to run the Mac and the OS so the rest is for the apps you run.

Think of ram as the air you breathe, you can never have too much.
( Last edited by hldan; Aug 10, 2004 at 09:08 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2004, 01:27 AM

I plan on upgrading to 2gb by christmas time. 1gb to replace one of my 256mb sticks before school starts in a few weeks... and 1gb for xmas. I find that 512 is adaquate for most minor things, but I'd love to have more for PS and the like. I have also run very low on ram just doing simple things when I have a few programs running. Heck, even my PC has a gig of ram...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

raferx
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 03:30 AM

More RAM is better, depends on what you do.

A faster HD is very good too.

I use RAM based playback/caching software. These are mostly compositing/motion graphic applications. So the extra RAM makes speed quite noticable.

2 gigs is quite pricey still though.

1 gig is quite adequate for most applications in my experience, but the experience is always relative.
Cheers,
raferx

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by ibook_steve:

Steve
Word, Photoshop, FCP, Compressor, Livetype, Safari, iChat, Adium, Mail, iCal, Preview, textEdit, Terminal, Max/MSP, Stickies, Calculator.

As I said earlier, I could just close some apps, but I would still get pageouts, and it is faster for me to just keep everything open.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

djohnson
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 09:46 AM

I want to bump mine up to 2GB, but first I need a few other things. 768MB is fine for what I use...

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 11:06 AM

Slightly off topic but there are some good deals on RAM going on:

PNY 512MB PC2700 @ Compusa for $56 after rebate:
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...&ref=cj&pfp=cj

1GB PC2100 @ Fry's for $130:
http://newspaperads.dfw.com/p2_image...606421.gif.gif
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

hadocon  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by SplijinX:
Slightly off topic but there are some good deals on RAM going on:

PNY 512MB PC2700 @ Compusa for $56 after rebate:
http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...&ref=cj&pfp=cj

1GB PC2100 @ Fry's for $130:
http://newspaperads.dfw.com/p2_image...606421.gif.gif

Is this compatible with the current generation of Powerbooks?

Is this real?

~ Actually, I am not sure what the going price for GB sticks for current Powerbooks. I have looked around, and they seem pretty expensive - about $1100 for 2 in my countries money. Is this the actual going rate or can I find it cheaper elsewhere. Are there equivalent PC memory (read: lower price) sticks that I should be considering?

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2004, 02:43 PM

I could not find the number of pins for ram in Apple's PB tech specs, but I assumed SODIMMS were all alike. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think there is a "PC" or "Mac" ram. As long as the pins match up and the bus is the same, it should be fine. All the PBs use PC2700 ram except for Rev A and maybe Rev B 12".

Check www.crucial.com for memory pricing. They are not the lowest out there, but have pretty good pricing/quality.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

redJag
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by SplijinX:
I could not find the number of pins for ram in Apple's PB tech specs, but I assumed SODIMMS were all alike.
Powerbooks use 200-pin So-DIMMs, according to Crucial, at least. There's actually 144pin, 200pin, and Micro So-DIMMs.
Travis Sanderson

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2004, 11:50 PM

Newegg currently has kingmax sodimms that are compatable with current powerbooks (pc2700) - 1gb for $214 with free shipping. The current Powerbooks use 200pin Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules - sodimm(s)... in the pc2700 flavor of course. I believe earlier revs used pc2100 sodimms but they still were 200pin sodimms.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2004, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Newegg currently has kingmax sodimms that are compatable with current powerbooks (pc2700) - 1gb for $214 with free shipping. The current Powerbooks use 200pin Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Modules - sodimm(s)... in the pc2700 flavor of course. I believe earlier revs used pc2100 sodimms but they still were 200pin sodimms.
I just returned a pair of those, niether would boot, KP grey screen every time.

Getting low heat Apple certified ram for my 17, 1.33 from OEMPC world, the extra $150 bucks would worth the peace of mind at this point:

http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/...=1.0G-SO2700LH

Hope this works, this machine has been VERY picky about what flavor ram it eats.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

wedgewood
Aug 14, 2004, 05:36 PM

As far as I can tell, Samsung/Hynix/Elpida memories are free of kernel panic in aluminium powerbook.
1.33 GHz 12" powerbook, 1.25GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules