Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is there anyone else that can't stand anime?

Is there anyone else that can't stand anime?
Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 09:28 PM

I know for sure I'm not the only one.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 09:44 PM

You're not the only one.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 09:46 PM

I don't like it either, but to each his own.. it's a very profitable industry.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 09:56 PM

I can't stand it either.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Sub  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 10:01 PM

Thats all I needed to hear, thanks.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 10:24 PM

Do you like American animation?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 10:28 PM

That's a ridiculous comment. It's like saying you dislike a whole style of animation, when anime covers a huge range of styles anyway. Don't just watch the ones aimed at adolescent perverts, it's like judging that all cinema is bad because you've seen American Pie.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 10:36 PM

Don't care in the least to watch anime nor do the majority of adults. Its the pinnacle of dorkdom.

But I have never understood why virtually all the characters in them look caucasian when clearly the people who created them aren't.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 10:41 PM

I hate some of it. I like some of it. Just like any other art form.

I will say, though, that if your only experience with anime is the garbage they show on Cartoon Network / Adult Swim, you have every reason to hate it. On the other hand, things like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Miyazaki Hayao's films are quite good. There are some decent television series, as well. Unfortunately, many of these never get released in America.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 7, 2007, 10:46 PM

I ****ing hate it. It's obnoxious, and a good 'mask' for kids who have no real drawing ability. Yay I can make evrything anime style AND THATS ALL I CAN DO BECAUSE I SUCK AT DRAWING.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 10:47 PM

Dbz

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2007, 10:51 PM

I hate it too. Too involved. Give me Bugs,Cartman or Lois Griffin any day!

Tom

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 10:53 PM

Um... what don't you like? Honest question.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 11:03 PM

I don't get the appeal. I am shocked that it has its own aisle in Blockbuster.

Battle of the Planets was the last decent japanime series. And, of course, I was an adolescent at the time.

"G-Force!"
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Railroader
Banned
Feb 7, 2007, 11:07 PM

I am not a fan of it. I don't like the animation style or any of the story lines of what I have seen.

I don't like animation in general either. I did like Cars, and Shreck, but for the most part animation bores me.

I don't even like CGI that much. Like in Battlestar Galactica or the recent Star Wars films.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
I don't get the appeal. I am shocked that it has its own aisle in Blockbuster.

Battle of the Planets was the last decent japanime series. And, of course, I was an adolescent at the time.

"G-Force!"
A lot of anime sucks, but that doesn't make it any different from any arbitrarily selected group of TV shows and movies. There are a lot of bad shows, a lot of mediocre shows and a few good shows no matter what heading you're looking under.

For the record, my No. 1 favorite show of all time is an anime; none of the rest of my top 5 are. I don't watch that much in general, though I did back when I was like 14. (Come to think of it, I watch a lot less TV in general nowadays.)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 12:07 AM

I don't see the fascination with the whole style. I don't get people who are "into anime". That said I wouldn't turn it off if it was good just on the basis of the style. I enjoyed Ghost in the Shell as well as the couple of Miyazaki films I've seen.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 12:30 AM

There are tons of styles of anime. Only one I dont really like is Manga. Hate the style and stories. Overall I dont like most of the animation out there as much as I used to because there tends to be too much computers not enough 'drawing'. I wish traditional animation was still popular, pretty much that transition is what tanked Disney, before Pixar saved them. Was more skill and talent IMO.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 8, 2007, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
Um... what don't you like? Honest question.
I generally hate the style. I hate the huge gigantic eyes. I hate how the FPS is awful, and things are generally really really choppy. I hate the stupid expressions that usually secondary characters get. I hate how almost every female in an anime series is annoying as all hell, super hyper, with a really whiney voice (there are a few exceptions, but I'm speaking in generalities). Mostly I just hate people who are super into anime because they're huge freakin dorks. Anime pretty much ruined one of my friends...

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 8, 2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Scifience View Post
I hate some of it. I like some of it. Just like any other art form.

I will say, though, that if your only experience with anime is the garbage they show on Cartoon Network / Adult Swim, you have every reason to hate it. On the other hand, things like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Miyazaki Hayao's films are quite good. There are some decent television series, as well. Unfortunately, many of these never get released in America.
Akira was decent, so were the others you mentioned, but the majority is just garbage. I can't stand "Sailor Moon" or "cowboy beebop" or 'dragonballz" It makes me want to shoot myself in the face.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Akira was decent, so were the others you mentioned, but the majority is just garbage. I can't stand "Sailor Moon" or "cowboy beebop" or 'dragonballz" It makes me want to shoot myself in the face.
This falls under Manga which I hate for every single reason you noted.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 12:57 AM

I love anime but with a big asterisk: I will only watch well proven classics or I will not venture trying them. I tried Ranma and loved it because of the drawing style, but I'll never watch it with English dubbing. I tried Robotech and Evangelion, and the story simply hypnotized me from episode 1.
If you know of certain anime titles you absolutely hate, it's because they are made for the super wide variety of tastes in the Japanese market. It's kind of a pity that their drawing style is so much modeled after each other, but that's something you have to live with.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 12:58 AM

You know, this thread kind of makes me wince.

I hate X, do you share my hatred of X so I can feel justified in making this huge generalization? It applies to almost everything. I hate scifi, I hate books, I hate virtually anything.

So I'll make a silly request: don't make a sweeping generalization if you can think of a possible exception or gap in your vast knowledge of the subject. In other words don't hate things because you're ignorant.

Case in point: Ghost in the Shell.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
This falls under Manga which I hate for every single reason you noted.
How on earth could you group those three series together, much less hate them for the same reason? Sailor Moon is a magic romance/adventure show for teen girls. Dragonball Z is a mindless action show for boys. Cowboy Bebop is a highly stylized, artistic action drama in the same stripe as the Sin City movie. I don't see a whole lot of similarity.

Also, I'm curious: What shows do you feel are different enough from all three of these so as not to fall in the "manga" category?
Chuck
___

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:06 AM

What does Robotech fall under? I remember loving that cartoon as a kid. I remember only liking the beginning episodes with the transforming jets. The later seasons with the tanks and motorcycles sucked. I find that the majority of anime on TV today (mostly on the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim) really sucks. Except "Avatar - The Last Airbender." That show is pretty cool.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
What does Robotech fall under? I remember loving that cartoon as a kid. I remember only liking the beginning episodes with the transforming jets. The later seasons with the tanks and motorcycles sucked. I find that the majority of anime on TV today (mostly on the Cartoon Network/Adult Swim) really sucks. Except "Avatar - The Last Airbender." That show is pretty cool.
Avatar is an American cartoon done in Japanese style. Just FYI.

Also, I think the anime market kind of crashed in Japan since the "otaku murders" in the '80s. Most people over the age of 20 probably won't touch the stuff. So it's a pretty harsh environment to make quality shows in these days.
Chuck
___

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
How on earth could you group those three series together, much less hate them for the same reason? Sailor Moon is a magic romance/adventure show for teen girls. Dragonball Z is a mindless action show for boys. Cowboy Bebop is a highly stylized, artistic action drama in the same stripe as the Sin City movie. I don't see a whole lot of similarity.

Also, I'm curious: What shows do you feel are different enough from all three of these so as not to fall in the "manga" category?
Akira, Appleseed, Ghost In The Shell, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, etc. are more what I prefer personally. I prefer motion picture style anime without the typical 'childish' story lines and comical style drawn characters basically...

Originally Posted by centerchannel
...stupid expressions that usually secondary characters get. I hate how almost every female in an anime series is annoying as all hell, super hyper, with a really whiney voice (there are a few exceptions, but I'm speaking in generalities)
He sums up my view right there...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:54 AM

He sums up my view right there...
So, just curious then, do you hate Jurassic Park?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
When was Jurassic Park anime? I loved the first Jurrasic Park. Was the first time CG looked 'believable' when composited with other actors in its time, and I thought it was a very entertaining movie.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 02:06 AM

When was Jurassic Park anime? I loved the first Jurrasic Park. Was the first time CG looked 'believable' when composited with other actors in its time, and I thought it was a very entertaining movie.
No, I mentioned it only because it had very obnoxious child side-characters.

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 02:15 AM

Do Miyahzaki's films count? Otherwise yeah, I don't really get it. Although the manga/anime thing is huge enough that I feel like I'm missing out on something.

I liked Ghost in the Shell but the sequel not so much. And Akira was huge to my teenage self.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 03:08 AM

No, I mentioned it only because it had very obnoxious child side-characters.
Yeah but it didn't have crappy animation. Thats the main issue I have with 'Manga' style animation overall. I dont like the art style, mainly. The anime I listed are more styles I like personally.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 04:33 AM

Cowboy Beebop is an amazing anime!
If i could buy anime (too lazy to keep track with bit torrent trackers) I'd watch it all the time...
we don't have time to stop for gas

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 05:12 AM

I used to hate anime. everyone i watched just seemd like a waste of time and just way too bizzare with poor voice overs.

I still refuse to actively watch any anime. it still seems like a genre for geeky white boys who probably want to seem like they have an ounce of 'culture'.

But, out of sheer boredom, i decided to watch Spirited Away, and was blown away, so much so, that i would pribably consider it the best animated movie ive ever watched.

The strange thing is despite loving ALL the movies by the same creator (Miyazaki), i still refuse to watch other Animes.

Im not guaranteeing that you will like Spirited Away, but i sure did, and if you have the time check it out.

Cheers

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 05:16 AM

There are tons of styles of anime. Only one I dont really like is Manga.
Erm, maybe I misunderstand you but there's a massive difference between "manga" and "anime". The former is a comic/graphic novel, the later is... animated.

What does Robotech fall under? I remember loving that cartoon as a kid. I remember only liking the beginning episodes with the transforming jets.
Robotech falls into the POS category for ripping off a bunch of good mecha anime (which is the category that the shows go in). Macross (the one with the transforming jets) is not only a good mecha anime, it's also a good romance anime.

There are lots of anime cliches that really grind my gears. But to lump all anime together and say you hate it is akin to saying "I hate all live action video." There is a LOT of bad anime out there, but there are also some real gems, just like with any other moving picture entertainment.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 10:59 AM

I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about, or what this "anime" thingy is.

I'll stick with Bikini Carwash, thanks.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2007, 11:55 AM

Goddamn, what a shitty excuse for a movie THAT was.

Nice CGI.

But hell, what a CRAP movie! Dialog, character development, internal logic, just **** **** ****.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 11:58 AM

You had me there for a sec analogika.

---

I don't mind anime, per se, but there is a lot of generic garbage out there, much like any other type of program. Personally, I prefer some of my cheesier stuff from the 90s like Tenchi-Muyo or Moldiver, but I by no means think they are masterpieces of art, story, or humor.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I can't stand two out of those three either. Cowboy Bebop, though, is quite good, especially if you aren't watching the dub. You can also add Naruto to the list of anime that I hate, though. For some reason that I can absolutely not understand, it picked up a huge cult following consisting mainly of 10-14 year old jerks. It is the perfect example of bad anime on television - half of each episode is a recap of the previous ones.

There are, unfortunately, relatively few good series on television. Most of the really good stuff gets released direct to DVD or as a full movie. Even more unfortunately, this reflects the state of television programming in general: very little truly good stuff, the rest of it just something slightly entertaining at best.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Apfhex View Post
Erm, maybe I misunderstand you but there's a massive difference between "manga" and "anime". The former is a comic/graphic novel, the later is... animated.
Obviously I need to clear things up. The STYLE of animation is what I'm reffering to. Basically if the characters look like this...

Example 1
vs.
Example 2

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 12:24 PM

I'm not too fond, but what I hate more is anime "touches" in otherwise American-style cartoons. The worst "touch" is the "flying leap battle pose," which makes cartoons like new Transformers un-watchable.

When I was really young, I enjoyed Gai-King and Grandizer and Battle of the Planets (i.e. Gotcha-man) and Voltron. And, of course, that shlocky intergalactic love story with robot-planes that I couldn't follow whose name completely escapes me.

My preferred animation style was the original Transformers/GI Joe. Some of the more recent Batman cartoons have been good too.

BTW, I've seen Ninja Scroll twice. Review: boring, pretentious drivel.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Some of the more recent Batman cartoons have been good too.
I've found Batman to be one of the enjoyable exceptions of American animation in the past 10+ years. Everything usually is overly simplistic garbage.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĀ² View Post
I've found Batman to be one of the enjoyable exceptions of American animation in the past 10+ years. Everything usually is overly simplistic garbage.
I agree with you there.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 12:57 PM

I try not to waste any energy hating anything. I just ignore things I don't like, and go on with life.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2007, 01:02 PM

What does Robotech fall under? I remember loving that cartoon as a kid. I remember only liking the beginning episodes with the transforming jets. The later seasons with the tanks and motorcycles sucked.
Robotech, that's the cartoon name I couldn't remember!

The later seasons sucked 'cause they were actually different shows merged for American consumption. The robot-plane portions were based on a Japanese show called Macross.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2007, 01:13 PM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Robotech, that's the cartoon name I couldn't remember!

The later seasons sucked 'cause they were actually different shows merged for American consumption. The robot-plane portions were based on a Japanese show called Macross.
Robotech series... They were all related just different chapters in the series. There is a new one that will came out Tuesday called Shadow Chronicles, which I haven't seen. It is technically Chapter 4 and takes place right after Chapter 3.
Robotech | The Shadow Chronicles

Chapter 1 (Most popular one by far of the three)
Japanese title - Macross
Americian title - The Macross Saga

Chapter 2
Japanese title - Southern Cross
American title - The Robotech Masters

Chapter 3
Japanese title - Mospeda
American title - New Generation

Railroader
Banned
Feb 8, 2007, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about, or what this "anime" thingy is.

I'll stick with Bikini Carwash, thanks.
I envy you. Do not waste your time investigating what Anime is. You will only be disappointed. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scifience View Post
I can't stand two out of those three either. Cowboy Bebop, though, is quite good, especially if you aren't watching the dub.
Even the dub is fine. It's better than 97% of the crap on TV.
Chuck
___

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I envy you. Do not waste your time investigating what Anime is. You will only be disappointed. Ignorance is indeed bliss.
Noted.

I caught Ted the cat watching Scooby Doo this afternoon. Should I be worried?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules