Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP dying suddenly WHILE plugged in

MBP dying suddenly WHILE plugged in
raferx
Senior User
Dec 5, 2007, 04:27 AM

Hi all,

MY 2.0 GHZ MBP Core Duo, w 1.5 GB RAM, has just recently started to die without warning. Doesn't matter what software I'm using at the time, or whether I'm on battery or plugged (FYI, I have a replaced battery). Not sure what to make of it, other than my warranty running out a month ago.
Any help here would be great. The MAG light stays on after it dies, and shows it either charging or charged — depending on battery, so I'm kinda scratching my head and praying its not the logic board.
TIA
Cheers,
raferx

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2007, 03:31 PM

Sounds like the logic board. Sorry. A short in the board could cause this.

BTW, when you say starting to die, I'm assuming you mean you're working on the computer when the power just shuts off...

Take it to an Apple Store if you have one near you (don't know where the Canada stores are), sometimes they make exceptions if it's less than 30 days out of warranty. Otherwise, you can send it in for a flat rate warranty repair. Should be about US$324.

If you're lucky, sometimes, if you buy from a place not directly Apple (as in, not an Apple Store and not Apple.com) they don't have you're exact date of purchase and sometimes round up to 3 months after the shipment date.

Check your coverage at the bottom of Apple.com/support

raferx  (op)
Senior User
Dec 6, 2007, 01:48 AM

Thanks man . . . I figured as much. I'll check in at the reseller I bought from.

Cheers,
raferx

Forum Links
Forum Rules