Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Switch Game Recommendations

Nintendo Switch Game Recommendations (Page 3)
andi*pandi  (op)
May 10, 2021, 12:54 PM

My son played it on DS, a long time ago.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2021, 08:08 PM

I'd say that the game is more anti-globalist. It's not anti-capitalist, since there are multiple markets, trading posts at every location, and you basically beat the game by making enough money to buy all the max level goodies. What the game paints in a bad light is globohomo (globalist-homogenized) corporatized "capitalism," i.e. Walmart bankrupting local small businesses who can't compete with its pricing and margins.

My biggest beef with the content is that *all* the men are painted as soyboy bitches or otherwise insufferably flawed. I've played two characters long enough to get married, and I ended up marrying one of the girls the first time around, because the boys are all hella obnoxious. Second game married my IRL hubs in co-op, so I didn't have to bother.

I despise unnecessary politicizing in entertainment, and Stardew Valley definitely doesn't do that.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2021, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
My son played it on DS, a long time ago.
You might be thinking of a Harvest Moon game. Stardew Valley isn't available for DS. The oldest console it's on is Vita, and that was abandoned after 1.3 (sadly).

subego
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2021, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'd say that the game is more anti-globalist.
That’s a fair distinction, and it’s thematically appropriate to a game about a family farm. Thanks for the clarification!

I only played enough to grasp there was some form of agenda being pushed, but I obviously only had the barest idea of what it was.
( Last edited by subego; May 11, 2021 at 09:19 AM. )

andi*pandi  (op)
May 11, 2021, 10:37 AM

You might be thinking of a Harvest Moon game. Stardew Valley isn't available for DS. The oldest console it's on is Vita, and that was abandoned after 1.3 (sadly).
<checks game cabinet> You are totally right, it was harvest moon!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2021, 07:21 AM

My biggest beef with the content is that *all* the men are painted as soyboy bitches or otherwise insufferably flawed. I've played two characters long enough to get married, and I ended up marrying one of the girls the first time around, because the boys are all hella obnoxious. Second game married my IRL hubs in co-op, so I didn't have to bother.
Rune Factory 4 is kinda like this. Everyone’s a dud except for a couple so-so late game options.

The best choices, by like an order of magnitude, aren’t romance-able.

I just didn’t bother.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2021, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Rune Factory 4 is kinda like this. Everyone’s a dud except for a couple so-so late game options.

The best choices, by like an order of magnitude, aren’t romance-able.

I just didn’t bother.
My assumption is that the creator, Concerned Ape, was probably bullied a lot when he was a kid for being nerdy and creative, so he channeled the stereotypes he observed and hated around him into the characters he created. It also explains why there are several interesting women (Robin, Emily, Abigail, Maru) but also a ditz.

They're all *intolerably* bad unfortunately. Each one has a fatal flaw that makes me just want to smack them upside the head and yell "BE A MAN FOR ONCE."

subego
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2021, 04:34 AM

Unfortunately, RF 4 doesn’t have that excuse. It’s just kinda lazy. Everybody is one-dimensional, and tends to behave like a child, or actually is a child.

If I ever romance this character, feel free to call the ****in cops.

andi*pandi  (op)
May 27, 2021, 02:05 PM

The romance in RF was stupid and felt creepy to me also.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity. Ok, this is another "not breath of the wild" zelda game that is basically button-mashing fighting. However it is much better than the older Hyrule Warriors. Combat is better, audio less annoying, playing as Impa is cool, flying is cool, and the story does progress somewhere. I was just at the point when I got to drive Rudania, which was at first really fun, then frustrating as there are HUNDREDS of enemies to destroy, and aiming was tricky. I had to return it to the library. Considering purchasing that one, but it is so short that I also wonder if I could finish it with another rental.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2021, 09:15 PM

Hands down the best male character in RF4 is Porcoline. There’s at least some mild depth to him, he’s sweet, funny, and he cooks. Not romanceable of course.

Played a little Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance, which just got a port to the Switch. It’s (local only) co-op, “mash the attack button over and over” dungeon crawling. Unfortunately, I can’t really recommend it. Looks really nice for a 20-year-old game, but the color palette is so drab it’s impossible to tell what the hell is going on. It was one cheap death after another, and we were playing on easy.

It’s still kinda fun because co-op is fun, but that’s mostly in spite of itself.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2021, 11:53 AM

Rune Factory 5 is getting a localization for release next year. Unfortunately, I hear the game is poorly coded.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2021, 11:27 PM

Mario + Rabbids 2 is coming! Whoo hoo!

I should really finish the first one. Only about halfway through.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2021, 11:07 AM

BOTW2. Aiming for a (presumably Christmas) 2022 release.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jun 17, 2021, 01:16 PM

Kid and I are there for it.
LINK... IN... SPAAAACE....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2021, 03:39 PM

In space, no one can hear… Zelda being all whiny.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2021, 10:13 AM

Played some more Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance. It was maintaining the same level of enjoyable suck because it’s co-op, then hit us with a tedious boss battle that took 5 tries, followed by really bad, fake-difficulty platforming. We quit at that point, and I think may not go back.

Though I’ve never played it, I recommended Diablo III to my co-op partner and she’s raving about it. I’m sure that’s what we’ll play next visit, or we might try it out networked.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 9, 2021, 06:56 PM

Got an XSX.

I’m convinced casual gaming on non-Nintendo consoles is dead or enough of an afterthought it may as well be. Mandatory accounts for the console, for the game (EA, etc.), massive (50gb+) updates that take all day…

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2021, 07:06 PM

Ooooh… Ecco the Dolphin is in the Genesis collection for Nintendo Online.

Thorzdad
Oct 26, 2021, 07:37 PM

My kids had Ecco. Damned if I could ever figure out wtf I was supposed to do.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2021, 10:51 PM

Was it a problem in the beginning?

It had this deal where you kinda tooled around in this enclosed “tutorial” area forever until you pulled off a double-jump.

It never tells you this is what to do

Thorzdad
Oct 27, 2021, 12:20 PM

That sounds about right. Really frustrating.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 12, 2021, 01:02 AM

Just nabbed a Switch off of FB to give to my son for his birthday next month. It came with the Switch, dock, standard joy-cons, extra wired controller, and these games:
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars
- Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
- Super Mario Maker 2
- Mariokart 8 Deluxe
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
- Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
- Minecraft
- Terraria
- Carnival Games
- Bioshock

Seemed like a good deal at $350. I'll probably only give him a couple games at first and save a few more for Christmas. He probably won't get Bioshock, it might be a bit...much for him right now.

I think he'd really like Zelda BOTW, he likes the open world games where you can do whatever you want. I think all of the above is probably more than enough to keep us busy for quite a while.

andi*pandi  (op)
Nov 12, 2021, 01:55 PM

ooh, lucky kid!

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2021, 04:04 PM

BOTW is one of the best games ever IMO, but it doesn’t click for everyone. The developers rethought the genre, and weren’t afraid to make big changes to how it works. This can be frustrating if you’ve built up expectations from other games.

It also starts very slow.

Lastly, as a parental warning, the game leaves the idiosyncrasies of Japanese culture intact, so it does stuff like casually throw loli at you a couple times.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 12, 2021, 05:07 PM

ooh, lucky kid!
He's been a champ the last 1-2 years, birthdays and holidays and school and everything has been rough. We just finished 100%ing all of the star coins in Super Mario Wii via Dolphin, I'm running out of ideas for multiplayer kid-friendly split screen PC games, so I figured we could try a Switch.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2021, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
BOTW is one of the best games ever IMO, but it doesn’t click for everyone. The developers rethought the genre, and weren’t afraid to make big changes to how it works. This can be frustrating if you’ve built up expectations from other games.
He could probably just ride around on a horse doing nothing for hours. I think he needs slightly more of a goal than Minecraft gives him.

Lastly, as a parental warning, the game leaves the idiosyncrasies of Japanese culture intact, so it does stuff like casually throw loli at you a couple times.
...noted.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2021, 05:38 PM

It’s totally okay though. The shark girl is actually in her 50s. She only looks like she’s four.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2021, 05:55 PM

The other parental advisory is it plays homosexuality and cross-dressing for gags.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2021, 12:30 AM

Got through the first level in Ecco, all along thinking how I’m going to pen my essay about how brilliant it is, and right at the beginning of the second level, the designers just flat-out abuse the player for no good reason.

It really is a wonder I stuck with the things considering how not fun they could be back in the day.

I’m sure I’ll get back to it when I feel up for a black eye or two.

Edit: River City Ransom is not like this. It’s in the Nintendo Online NES collection. Finished it a month back. Deserves its rep as one of the best games for the system.
( Last edited by subego; Nov 29, 2021 at 01:20 AM. )

andi*pandi  (op)
Jan 9, 2022, 04:16 PM

Based on some videos I saw, and good reviews, I asked for Metroid Dread for christmas. Side scroller game? Classic right? Seems fun!

Game is kicking my butt. I literally stared at a wall in the intro, knowing I was supposed to wall jump up, and could not do it for 10 minutes. Had to get kid1 to prove it was at all possible; then kid2 managed, but both agreed it was tricky. Timing seems very important. Spent next few hours swearing at various monsters but... slightly progressing.

Then I had to rage quit after not being able to defeat or run away from this ****er:

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2022, 12:53 AM

Dread is the hardest Metroid game I’ve ever played, the boss fights are incredibly challenging and those EMMI robot sections are nerve-wracking as heck.

The only advice I can give is let the game funnel you where to go at first, and every enemy has its own pattern and timing that takes a little getting used to. Eventually you get abilities that make dodging enemies and traversing areas way easier.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2022, 12:16 PM

My only Metroid experience is with Prime. I could tell it was good, but it didn’t hold me for more than a few hours.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 11, 2022 at 03:39 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2022, 10:10 AM

Prime is a good game but Metroid is best enjoyed in 2 dimensions IMO. The pace and fluidity of the combat in Dread is so satisfying, having a 3rd dimension to worry about would slow everything down.

I’m at or near the final boss now, backtracking through the world to hunt for secrets and items, great game so far, could easily be my favorite Metroid game ever honestly.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2022, 01:29 PM

Should I give Super Metroid a shot since I have it with Nintendo Online? I hear the original can be kind of obnoxious.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2022, 01:47 PM

Super Metroid is my favorite game ever, but there’s a bit of rose colored glasses involved there. The control scheme was great for it’s day, but after playing Dread it certainly is a little clunky to get used to having to press the run button along with jumping and shooting. It’s a classic though, and not really all that hard, I think you should give it a go!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2022, 01:49 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2022, 01:50 PM

The original Metroid is certainly a slog at times, no map and limited graphics made navigation an absolute nightmare.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2022, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The original Metroid is certainly a slog at times, no map and limited graphics made navigation an absolute nightmare.
Yeah… that’s one where it looks like they were still trying to figure out the line between “difficulty” and “abuse”. I want to pull out the original Mega Man and see if I can tolerate it.

I already mentioned that recently I only got to the second level in Ecco before thinking “this is bullshit”.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2022, 12:04 AM

No time for games atm, but I kinda want to check out the new Kirby. Never played one. I’m also curious about Rune Factory V. People are saying the poor optimization isn’t too bad. Still would rather it was 2D.

I could look into Story of Seasons, but I assume that involves less murdering cute animals with a carrot.

andi*pandi  (op)
Aug 26, 2022, 04:58 PM

New game: WarioWare

Very good if you like epilepsy

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2022, 06:03 PM

I’m out of the loop. Is that a Switch specific deal?

The DS version was great.

As an aside, I actually have epilepsy, and had to face the possibility of staying away from video games. Thankfully, it turned out to be the kind where strobes are okay.

andi*pandi  (op)
Aug 27, 2022, 09:55 AM

It's this one:
https://www.nintendo.com/store/produ...gether-switch/

which we got for the multiplayer aspects. It's many short minigames. Like really short GO, DO THE THING IN 3 SECONDS NEXT GAME NOW. A little dizzying. The kids did better than I or the husband. The hardest level we found, and the one I liked best, was the retro sidescroller.

Sorry for being flip about epilepsy.

Thorzdad
Aug 27, 2022, 11:49 AM

We visited our son and his wife last weekend. And, we played a Switch game for the first time ever. Mario Party. It was fun.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2022, 03:23 PM

Sorry for being flip about epilepsy.
Oh, gee… no, no, no. I only brought it up because I’m thankful I can still play video games.

That seems similar to the DS version, which was indeed a riot. My favorite from the DS was “snort the post nasal drip”.

andi*pandi  (op)
Mar 22, 2023, 08:47 PM

have not been playing as much lately... but I did get GRIS which is beautiful, interesting, puzzles, and misleadingly simple interface. My animal crossing island is no doubt overrun with roaches.

New zelda is out May 12...
https://www.polygon.com/23594712/zel...y-story-botw-2

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2023, 11:56 AM

It’s been well over a year since I played anything. I have a friend over, and I picked up Luigi’s Mansion 3 for some co-op, but we haven’t tried it yet.

I’m irritated about Zelda because I really want to play it, and have no time.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 23, 2023, 12:08 PM

You can make money, and buy games. Or play games, and have to pirate them, with no cash for custom controllers. Cruel choice. Even if you choose the game-playing, your enjoyment gets offset with antivirus adventures, and OS reinstalls from the piracy stuff.

I have my own pile of shame - Steam games bought during sales, waiting to be played.

andi*pandi  (op)
Mar 23, 2023, 02:04 PM

I used to hoard humble bundles and then never play them.

andi*pandi  (op)
Jul 18, 2023, 02:48 PM

So yes I have the new zelda still in shrink wrap, but kid2 is demanding we play together so it's on hold. I was finding other things to do, and gris. Until then I hit a wall in Gris.

Got "The Wild at Heart" for a birthday present. It seems aimed at younger audience, and there is much grinding. Odd 2d/3d layers make navigation a little confusing. Art is fun. Some clever storytelling but this felt too tedious. Kids may love it.

So I bought Dead Cell. I had tried it out before (see somewhere back in this thread). It hits that old-school dopamine rush of "I SURVIVED THIS LEVEL" even with the constant resets. It's super exciting to find a new place to die in. Resetting after death can be frustrating, but I am much better at strategy now - like, deciding if this life is a speed run, or an explore the map and kill every bad guy possible. Random weapons keep it interesting also. Last night I played for 2 hours, unlocked a new skill, and died in the distillery, where things apparently explode. A good run. If I hadn't died I was considering just leaving the game on pause because it was late - a very old school thing we had to do with sonic because there were no saves!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2023, 02:54 PM

I’m not too familiar. Rogue-like?

Forum Links
Forum Rules