Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Thunderbolt Display

Apple Thunderbolt Display
david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2011, 09:27 PM

Is anyone planning to buy Apple's new thunderbolt display? What are your thoughts on it? Do you think it's as good as Apple seems to think?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2011, 09:48 PM

There are a lot of very, very good displays that you can buy for $999 that aren't limited to one connection. It'll be a niche product, just like the previous LED Cinemas were.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 02:40 AM

While that's true, none of those displays have a built-in laptop dock providing USB, FireWire, and Ethernet over the same cable that you use for video.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2011, 02:54 AM

Or a built-in MagSafe power supply.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
While that's true, none of those displays have a built-in laptop dock providing USB, FireWire, and Ethernet over the same cable that you use for video.
Your MacBook Pro or Air also has all of those ports built in anyway.
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Or a built-in MagSafe power supply.
And you'll already have a power supply.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Your MacBook Pro or Air also has all of those ports built in anyway.

The Air? Really now?

But you're right, of course.

And, just like you, I *enjoy* connecting/disconnecting five cables instead of two every time I move my laptop.

And you'll already have a power supply.
Yes. In fact, I have two, so that I don't have to constantly crawl behind the desk to plug/unplug it every time I move the laptop.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 06:16 PM

Sure, there is a convenience factor to the Cinema Display, but for $999, I think I'll stick with my $399 HP and unplug three cables instead of two. And I think that's what most buyers will do too, especially considering that $999 is the cost of buying a whole new MacBook Air.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2011, 07:37 PM

Please provide a link to that $399 HP display. Even Dell's comparable display is $949 (list price is $1099).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 08:04 PM

My HP is in no way comparable to the LED Cinema, but it still has HDMI, DVI, and MDP. And it's 21.5".

Marook
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2011, 03:51 PM

It's a very nice display, but a bit expensive.
And with the soon-to-ship Thunderbolt-to-Fiberchannel adaptor, even a Macbook Air can join in on a SAN storage (needs the ethernet on the display)!
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 16, 2011, 03:57 PM

My HP is in no way comparable to the LED Cinema, but it still has HDMI, DVI, and MDP. And it's 21.5".
I wish they offered a smaller version of it too, but if a 27" display is what you need, Apple's is an excellent choice, and price-competitive with other high-quality displays at that size.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

kittonian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2011, 01:06 PM

I was fortunate enough to see the new display in action and I can tell you that it's truly gorgeous and worth every penny. It's a rather expensive display to produce and thus the price tag is quite a bit higher than some of the competition, however, to be fair, there really is no competition when you put competing displays side-by-side.

Think of it like buying a TV. You can get a 46" screen for $450 or $4500. Are they anywhere near the same? Nope. If you want the higher quality and features like Thunderbolt, unfortunately that comes with a higher price tag.
Joshua Aaron
President/CEO
Mac Genius - Apple Macintosh & IT Consulting
http://www.macgenius.com

Rev2Liv
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2011, 08:29 PM

Why is the Thunderbolt Display so darn thick?

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2011, 09:44 PM

There are a lot of very, very good displays that you can buy for $999 that aren't limited to one connection. It'll be a niche product, just like the previous LED Cinemas were.
Yes you are correct, but you 'are' comparing apples to oranges.

There are also a lot of sub $200 computers that are 'thin notebooks' a la MacBook Air... but they are not MacBook Airs.

The $999 price range for ATD is right at the pricepoint of other 27" IPS screens. Plus you get all the ports (dock), LED, wide gamut, etc.....while other 27" 's ..... not so much.

It is expensive but you get what you pay for.

On another note, I too also wish for a 21.5" ATD... I mean it just makes sense, no?

Anyone got Tim Cook's email address>?
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules