Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canadian Apple Store plans...?

Canadian Apple Store plans...?
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 05:23 PM

AI is reporting that the Dominion of Ontario will be getting Canada's first 2 Apple Stores.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=378
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 05:25 PM

Yup, Eaton Centre and Yorkdale are perfect locations.

"If it's broke, you choke."

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 25, 2004, 06:15 PM

Considering the plethora of Apple vendors in downtown Toronto, a flagship Eaton Centre Apple Store will p!ss off quite a few people.

Nonetheless, I hope it comes.

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Considering the plethora of Apple vendors in downtown Toronto, a flagship Eaton Centre Apple Store will p!ss off quite a few people.

Nonetheless, I hope it comes.
Like what? I don't know any good ones anywhere near the eatoncentre.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2004, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
Like what? I don't know any good ones anywhere near the eatoncentre.
Computer Systems Centre is kinda close. CPUsed and Carbon Computing are kinda close too. NorthStar Computing is VERY close, but I don't like them much.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2004, 10:38 PM

They have computars in Canader?

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Ha ha ha ha ha! Funny, fresh AND original! Pure genius!

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 10:46 PM

last I heard was Canader's computar was moved to the National Igloo in Windsor...

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by shabbasuraj:
last I heard was Canader's computar was moved to the National Igloo in Windsor...
It was taken offline due to lack of power (huskies got tired)

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by The Ginger Rat:
It was taken offline due to lack of power (huskies got tired)
i recieved a message via carrier pigeon this afternoon indicating that power was restored via bicycle powered generator, a la a remake of the Giligan's Island Professor invention...

Vader�s Pinch of Death
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2004, 12:23 AM

Thank god we don't make any American jokes when your stores open.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2004, 02:01 AM

They should open one in Montreal and with the language laws it will have to be called Pomme Magasin

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Vader�s Pinch of Death:
Ha ha ha ha ha! Funny, fresh AND original! Pure genius!
Cool, then I'm doing better than you at the Internet.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 18, 2004, 06:10 PM

Greetings, Manager, Purchaser, and All Representatives:

It's official...

Apple Canada is announcing today that an Apple Branded Retail Store location will be opening in Toronto, mid year 2005.

Apple currently has ninety-six retail stores in the US, two in Japan, and one opening in London, England this weekend. The stores have been incredibly popular, attracting more than fifty million visitors since the first store was opened in May of 2001.

They provide great hands-on experience for customers, and we welcome the store to Canada as a great complement to our existing distribution channels.

To see what the Apple Store concept is all about, please go to: <http://www.apple.com/retail/>

Where and when are unknown at this time

Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 03:59 AM

I visited an Apple Store is Seoul (South Korea). It was a little tiny store though.

Funny that they don't list it on their site. ?? It was in the Koex mall, outside the XBox gaming place thingy.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2004, 04:49 AM

A lot of the Asian AppleStores are licenesees, I think. There's a handful in Singapore and Hong Kong as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

brapper
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2004, 09:39 AM

i'll be in line for one of those goodie bags for sure...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2004, 09:40 AM

Apple needs to rush the CiTMS to make up for lack of hockey. Save people from cabin fever and all that.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2004, 09:40 AM

Greetings, Manager, Purchaser, and All Representatives:

It's official...

Apple Canada is announcing today that an Apple Branded Retail Store location will be opening in Toronto, mid year 2005.
[snip]
Is from an email that Apple Canada sent you? Is this email considered to be the actual "annuoncement"? I don't see anything on apple.ca ...

I'm thinking either Yorkdale or Vaughn Mills, based on intuition and previous AppleInsider reports.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by joltguy:
Is from an email that Apple Canada sent you? Is this email considered to be the actual "annuoncement"? I don't see anything on apple.ca ...

I'm thinking either Yorkdale or Vaughn Mills, based on intuition and previous AppleInsider reports.
Some guy on internetland got this from his Apple rep.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 19, 2004, 11:54 AM

Why is it that every 'Canader' thread makes me lawl ?

-t

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2004, 11:29 AM

Apple confirms the news.

Originally posted by turtle777:

Why is it that every 'Canader' thread makes me lawl ?

-t
Brain tumour?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 12:10 PM

That's Canadia you insensitive clod!

North Star/Elm St. sucked and were overpriced. Future Shop sells a few Macs, so they might count.

the Eaton Centre is a 3-million-square-ft building with more than 300 stores and services, including Eaton's, Canada's classic department store.
There's no more Eaton's in the Eaton Centre!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Visnaut
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 12:40 PM

Not quite, in my opinion.

I had a good chat with a manager at CSC the other day, and he acknowledged that they're more of a destination store for people. Even when they were ripping up College St and you had to walk in on wooden planks, business continued with minimal impact, as I witnessed myself. Mac people in general know about it and go there specifically for the products, and will generally, through word-of-mouth, tell those who are interested about Macs to go there and other stores like them.

A location at Eaton Centre or trendy Queen West would draw a lot of people to the store who aren't specifically interested in Macs. Just like the Apple Stores in the states, they're in highly visible locations to draw in the general public.

Furthermore, I think local mac retailers will survive and thrive. Stores like Number9 and Carbon, who also provide specialized services and support, such as recording studios and such, will provide the professional services that the Apple Stores don't and won't provide.

Consider Apple Stores as the iApps of the mac retail chain, and the existing retailers as the Pro Apps and third party solutions that add a lot of value to the whole solution.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2004, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Visnaut:
Not quite, in my opinion.

I had a good chat with a manager at CSC the other day, and he acknowledged that they're more of a destination store for people. Even when they were ripping up College St and you had to walk in on wooden planks, business continued with minimal impact, as I witnessed myself. Mac people in general know about it and go there specifically for the products, and will generally, through word-of-mouth, tell those who are interested about Macs to go there and other stores like them.

A location at Eaton Centre or trendy Queen West would draw a lot of people to the store who aren't specifically interested in Macs. Just like the Apple Stores in the states, they're in highly visible locations to draw in the general public.

Furthermore, I think local mac retailers will survive and thrive. Stores like Number9 and Carbon, who also provide specialized services and support, such as recording studios and such, will provide the professional services that the Apple Stores don't and won't provide.

Consider Apple Stores as the iApps of the mac retail chain, and the existing retailers as the Pro Apps and third party solutions that add a lot of value to the whole solution.
You make some good points, but it's quite possible that an Apple Store in the Eaton Centre would simply put North Star out of business. (Not that I'd miss it.)

And while I do shop at CSC, I would shop there less if the stories of Apple favouring its own stores with shipments of new products are true. I like to support the smaller stores, but when it means the difference of getting something and not getting anything at all, guess where I'll go. I do hope that Apple will continue to support the 3rd party retailers in Canada well though.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
They should open one in Montreal and with the language laws it will have to be called Pomme Magasin
To make even more sense they'd call it "La Pommeraie"

;o)

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:23 PM

You make some good points, but it's quite possible that an Apple Store in the Eaton Centre would simply put North Star out of business. (Not that I'd miss it.)

And while I do shop at CSC, I would shop there less if the stories of Apple favouring its own stores with shipments of new products are true. I like to support the smaller stores, but when it means the difference of getting something and not getting anything at all, guess where I'll go. I do hope that Apple will continue to support the 3rd party retailers in Canada well though.
I used to buy my Macs at North Star and always had a good service from them compared to cpused; better trade ins and they were walkking distance from work and home for me so...

David, the previous manager, was very personable, compared to other stores I visited. Bummer, he's dead now...

Now I am in Montreal and will miss the opening of that store. Well, I still have to commute to Toronto every 2 weeks for a little while so...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:
I used to buy my Macs at North Star and always had a good service from them compared to cpused; better trade ins and they were walkking distance from work and home for me so...

David, the previous manager, was very personable, compared to other stores I visited. Bummer, he's dead now...
When was he there? I only went there a few times, and couple of times I got sales guys that blatantly lied. eg. I would go there to get something small and while there would ask for the pricing on a newly announced product that wasn't shipping anywhere yet, and they'd claim they could get it the next day as long as I put down a deposit. (The reason I bothered to ask for pricing was because some stores are cheaper than others. For instance CSC sometimes would price a computer at $50 less than Apple retail.)

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 05:56 PM

When was he there? I only went there a few times, and couple of times I got sales guys that blatantly lied. eg. I would go there to get something small and while there would ask for the pricing on a newly announced product that wasn't shipping anywhere yet, and they'd claim they could get it the next day as long as I put down a deposit. (The reason I bothered to ask for pricing was because some stores are cheaper than others. For instance CSC sometimes would price a computer at $50 less than Apple retail.)
I don't know about CSC retail but...

David dies of cancer in February; he apparently learned about it beginning of Feb 04 and dies 3 weeks later. Sad. A good business guy. Now, the people there don't seem to have much to [rovide; they have a job; period.

Reason I liked that store was that one day, I sent my Ti 500 for repairs: the DVD-Rom was not working well. So they sent it to Apple and promised me a return a week later. 3 weeks later I still did not have my Ti. David encouraged me to make a complaint. I wrote a 2 page long complaint to Apple. They called the tech guy at North Start who confirmed the story.

24 hours later I got a brand new Ti 550 with a DVD-ROM, apparently one of the very rare few that was not a Superdrive at the time.

David made it a nice business and was personable; I fear that when stores are part of a chain, you don't get people who know that good business goes with a good handshake and a feeling of trust. The guy was not a Mac enthusiast; he was a businessman. We had a connection because he was from the Northern parts of Ontario while I was from the Northern parts of Quebec. Northern people have a common understanding about life I guess.

Anyhow, I got good purchases at CSC, but it is not the same; it is not different than a grocery. I am the kind of person who appreciates a conversation with the salesperson.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 06:26 PM

The next location... WINNIPEG! ON REGENT!

No no no I know that won't happen. That said, if it did! Ho baby! I'd apply and I'd certainly better get a job... In just three months one guy on campus has decided to get an iBook because of me. Another guy upstairs wants one when he gets his next computer. I've convinced friends in high school and online to get Macs... I've already got two switchers of my very own under my belt and have helped every Mac user on campus!

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2004, 08:18 PM

so anyoneelse apply for a job?
I'm thinking it may not be a bad summer job if I can get it, i mean think of the discount!!! (anyone know what it is in other stores?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules