Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GRE advice...

GRE advice...
shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 02:56 AM

I will be taking my GRE (Graduate Records Examination) test next month. I am just doing a general test (computer based) and not a subject test. Any advice from others who have already taken the GRE?

Thanks in advance...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 11:00 AM

I took the computer-based test 2 years ago. Did you get the training CDROM with your package. You should practice with that. Practice several times, and don't spend more time than you should in each question.

Also read the computer based rules. Rules like what to bring to the test, whether the questions you skip will come back again, and whether you can go back to the reading fragment in the comprehension part.

What's your strength, math, verbal or logic?

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2004, 11:07 AM

- You get out quicker than the allotted time.

- Sleep well because you don't want to be sleepy when you take the test

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 4, 2004, 12:43 PM

-buy a practice book or two. one solely on math (especially if you haven't done any geometry in awhile) is a good idea.

-the first 15 questions in each section are the most important. spend the most time on those.

-if you know you've really messed up on those first 15, don't accept your score. you'll be out the $100, but it might be worth it.

-pay close attention to the time.

-write a bunch of vocab words on index cards. learn them backwards and forwards. quite a few of the practice words from the books i had were on the test.

-you get your score instantly (except for the writing, which most places don't care about...yet), so you'll know right off the bat whether or not you need to take it again. use your time to learn more vocab words.

G-Force
Oct 4, 2004, 12:49 PM

And learn the 300 or so most common words on the GRE. Most prep books have a list like that.

Ganesha
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 02:39 PM

Concentrate hard on the first few questions and take extra time in answering them. (Adaptive Test Taking Strategy)

Practice, practice, practice... Even practice stuff you know. (General Test Taking Strategy)

Be well rested...

You can gauge how well you do by how complex the test gets at the end. If you are still getting shoe:foot::glove:hand at the end, you probably blew it. (Adaptive Test Taking Strategy)

shabbasuraj  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the advice all. I went to the bookstore, but I was confronted with literally a dozen or so prep-books. Any recommendations?

Thanks again.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

dencamp
Senior User
Oct 5, 2004, 04:04 PM

Basic advice: Take as many practice tests as you can. The more you stress about the process of the test, the more likely you are to do poorly.

I'm old enough to have done the paper versions so I know that the structure has changed, but the first time I took it I focused too much on cramming info that I had lost in the years since I had graduated college and not enough time just running through test after test. I ended up getting overly stressed and didn't do as well as I had hoped. The second time I took it, I focused more on testing techniques and less on information. Result: huge improvement.

Also, take your vitamins and sleep well. Take it from me, it's no fun to take the GRE with a fever...

Two steps forward (six steps back)

jersey
Senior User
Oct 5, 2004, 07:45 PM

dont take the gre and go to art school. seriously. we dont have to take it, and we get a masters. plus, we all have an extra $100 dollars for beer, and the time to drink it.

or practice like crazy, and get some sleep. it sounds funny, but eating right helps too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules