Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Xbox 360 ICS

Xbox 360 ICS
matty-uk
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2008, 01:49 PM

Hi all,

I'm getting extremely frustrated here but can't seem to figure out a solution. My G4 iBook is sharing it's internet connection for my 360. I can connect to live but can't join any of my friend's games on COD4. When I run the network test I get NAT as strict. I've opened the ports on my router, added the ports in the firewall on the iBook but it still says strict

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 1, 2008, 04:08 PM

Suggestions? Sure. Do something different to get your 360 onto your network. I believe the "NAT = strict" is coming, not from your router but from your iBook. You're running into the old and unpleasant "double-NAT" problem, where you have two different devices performing Network Address Translation, and XBox Live doesn't work well (if at all) with that.

For a long time, we had my son's 360 connected (straight to the router) via a very long Ethernet cable until he finally coughed up the money for a Microsoft wireless adapter for the 360. Why are you using the iBook to handle this connection?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

matty-uk  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2008, 02:31 AM

I'm doing it this way because the xbox is around 20 meters from the router. I can't really get an ethernet cable to it so to save the cables I thought I might as well just share the iBook connection.

I'll have a look into what I can use to get it online without using the iBook but the wireless adapters specifically for the xbox are rather expensive I'll see about a wireless access point.

Forum Links
Forum Rules