Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > TapTyping Virtual Keyboard Typing Speed Test

TapTyping Virtual Keyboard Typing Speed Test
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 03:28 PM

Although I'm decent at iPhone virtual keyboard typing, I know I could be better. I wanted to get an app that would measure my virtual keyboard speed, so i downloaded TapTyping Typing Speed Test, a highly rated app for this purpose. This isn't a review yet; I'm just opening up the discussion.

On the first test I got 21 WPM. Not very good, especially for a person who types in the 80+ WPM range on a real keyboard. I don't like that this app doesn't use the iPhone convention of capitalizing the next letter after a period-that slowed me down, among other things. Then I looked at the leaderboard and found the best iPhone typists to be in the mid-70 WPM. One even got up to 80 WPM on a damn virtual keyboard. Wow. Pretty awesome if true. (I have my doubts.)

It's not the most important skill to me, but I'd like to improve. The problem I have what this is, it's not like touch typing. You can't build muscle memory. I don't understand how people can be as fast and accurate as those top scores suggest.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2011, 04:26 PM

28 WPM, one thumb, portrait mode.

I know I'd register as faster if I didn't need to shift focus back and forth. Likewise, you get in a zone where you just "trust the autocorrect", and let it fix the crazy non-words you end up typing when you go for speed. This isn't represented in the app at all, even with the basics. AFAIC, on an iPhone, the proper way to type "iPhone" is "iphone".

It's been awhile since I've taken a test on a full size keyboard. I'd guess I'm somewhere between 40-60 WPM.
( Last edited by subego; Dec 12, 2011 at 04:51 PM. )

HealthBuffMe
Jul 21, 2012, 09:01 PM

I am 60 WPM on a full-sized keyboard. I have been using a touchscreen phone for 8 years already. I am going to download it for sure, though I do think that I will be only getting around 20-30. Just wanna see my wpm rate Thanks for the share!

HealthBuffMe
Jul 24, 2012, 02:31 PM

I got 26, haha! Same here, using the thumb and in portrait. I am a touch-typist but it looks like I need more practice with the touchscreen world, haha! Well, I do think it depends on the device. I got 26 wpm on an iPhone, I already expect what to get having the said test on an iPad! Lol.

Forum Links
Forum Rules