Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Couldn't Travolta Help Maintain The Runway?

Couldn't Travolta Help Maintain The Runway?
abe
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 01:59 PM

Travolta sues airport for lying to FAA

The Grease star sues owners of airport near his home in Florida

Saturday, July 21st 2007, 4:00 AM

OCALA, Fla. — John Travolta sued the owners of the airport outside his exclusive "fly-in" community, claiming they lied to the Federal Aviation Administration to keep him from landing his Boeing 707 there.

In the federal lawsuit filed Wednesday, the actor claims Greystone Airport owners James and Christine Garemore falsely changed the airport master record in 2006 to indicate that it could not support large airplanes.

Travolta has a home at the Jumbolair Aviation Estates in Ocala and wanted to fly his Boeing 707 there. It is an affluent, 550-acre community with a $6 million runway — the largest paved, private airfield in the United States.

The lawsuit is seeking an injunction requiring the Garemores to immediately withdraw the 2006 report and authorize flights with the airport master record as it existed before. It also seeks to nullify the report because of false or misleading information to the FAA and to prohibit "future baseless filings."

"The runway is not suitable for heavy aircraft. It is cracking and breaking," James Garemore told The Associated Press on Friday. "They are bringing this lawsuit against me, and all I was doing was trying to maintain safety here."

I think Travolta might consider offering to help defray the cost of maintaining the runway and everyone would be happy. All they'd need do is devise an equitable formula.

And save that, he could just buy the friggin airport.

His only other options, apparently, would be to park his 707 at a regular airport and commute to it when needed, move to another fly-in community and convince them to want to lengthen/strengthen their runway and help them with EVERYTHING that would entail, or build/buy his own community or private strip.

The first way is probably easiest.

But maybe not.

What thinketh thou?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Cold Warrior
Jul 21, 2007, 02:08 PM

Jeez, why doesn't he just get a learjet or gulfstream like everyone else?! OMG!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Jeez, why doesn't he just get a learjet or gulfstream like everyone else?! OMG!
Old school?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Cold Warrior
Jul 21, 2007, 02:25 PM

Dunno. I figured if it's good enough for Steve Jobs, it's good enough for a Scientology Stooge.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 02:27 PM

I don't get why anyone not involved would care.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post

I think Travolta might consider offering to help defray the cost of maintaining the runway and everyone would be happy. All they'd need do is devise an equitable formula.

And save that, he could just buy the friggin airport.

His only other options, apparently, would be to park his 707 at a regular airport and commute to it when needed, move to another fly-in community and convince them to want to lengthen/strengthen their runway and help them with EVERYTHING that would entail, or build/buy his own community or private strip.

The first way is probably easiest.

But maybe not.

What thinketh thou?
Or he could simply get rid of his Boeing 707 monstrosity.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Dunno. I figured if it's good enough for Steve Jobs, it's good enough for a Scientology Stooge.
All the rich Scientology Stooges aspire to own grand old flying machines, I hear.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Or he could simply get rid of his Boeing 707 monstrosity.
To someone who loves the old birds, wouldn't that be like saying, 'why not get rid of Grandma' when she becomes a chore to house?

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 03:01 PM

John Travolta sued the owners of the airport outside his exclusive "fly-in" community, claiming they lied to the Federal Aviation Administration to keep him from landing his Boeing 707 there.
Oh, the humanity! As long as there is social injustice against one, there is social injustice against us all.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2007, 03:07 PM

quite a problem to have
ice

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 04:51 PM

I had a similar issue with the condo association here, except it was about my bicycle.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2007, 05:01 PM

if you ever feel down about troubles in your life, bookmark that link and visit it. after reading the article, you'll soon realize that other people's troubles are much worse than your own.

Sourbook
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2007, 05:23 PM

He's fighting for my rights too. Someday my ego may require that I fly a bigger jet than all of my peers. He's fighting for all of our rights dammit.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
To someone who loves the old birds, wouldn't that be like saying, 'why not get rid of Grandma' when she becomes a chore to house?
So what's your point?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I had a similar issue with the condo association here, except it was about my bicycle.
Your bike was too big for the driveway to safely support it?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Your bike was too big for the driveway to safely support it?
No, but the condo corporation lied and said that was the case.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2007, 08:39 PM

No, but the condo corporation lied and said that was the case.
Well I hope he either sued their asses or moved to a more honest bike-in community.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 10:25 PM

So what's your point?

[img]http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QTQQ9C7ML._SS500_.jpg
I'll give you the option to choose.

Do you want a smart assed (maybe funny) answer or the real one?

Forum Links
Forum Rules