Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ordered a new ibook

ordered a new ibook
jmagic
Feb 17, 2005, 03:54 PM

i just ordered a refreshed ibook of the apple site.

it is 1.2ghz G4, combo, 30gb, AP extreme, 256mb ram.
it was only $850 with edu discount, and apple sent me a 30 off 300 coupon this morning, bringing the total down to 820, which is a pretty good deal.

i have bought refreshed from an apple store before, but never from online. how many people have ordered refreshed from online, and were there any cosmetic blemishes or any indication of a used laptop at all?

just wanna see what i am in for

thanks
jonathan
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 05:06 PM

Congrats. I'm still using my refurb TiBook. It turns two years old this month.

Voch

villalobos
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 11:49 PM

Originally posted by jmagic:
i just ordered a refreshed ibook of the apple site.

it is 1.2ghz G4, combo, 30gb, AP extreme, 256mb ram.
it was only $850 with edu discount, and apple sent me a 30 off 300 coupon this morning, bringing the total down to 820, which is a pretty good deal.

i have bought refreshed from an apple store before, but never from online. how many people have ordered refreshed from online, and were there any cosmetic blemishes or any indication of a used laptop at all?

just wanna see what i am in for

thanks
jonathan
I jut ordered the same machine. The keyboard is not very good (the 2 keys right of the spacebar are kinda messed up, and the spacebar is not great either). apart from that it looks like new. I am going to the nearest Apple Store tomorrow to talk about the keyboard, althouh i am afraid they will want to send the machine back just to change it.

jmagic  (op)
Feb 18, 2005, 04:02 AM

how long did it take before you got it?

gcvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 08:44 AM

...how many people have ordered refreshed from online, and were there any cosmetic blemishes or any indication of a used laptop at all?
I bought a refurbished iBook last month and it was obvious that it had been used before. There were a few scratches on the outside of the case and some wear on the palm rest area. The former owner clearly wore a watch while using the computer.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 09:00 AM

I'm surprised because every used item I've ever bought from Apple has been, as far as I could tell, identical to new.

jmagic  (op)
Feb 18, 2005, 03:17 PM

well, i hope mine looks new

anyone care to comment on how long it took you to recieve it once ordered?

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 03:30 PM

If I remember correctly, it was three or four days as I opted for the cheap shipping to get my refurb PowerBook. I worked near the FedEx station and thought I could intercept it before they attempted delivery to my home, but it was being delivered by FedEx Home (not the "normal" FedEx) and I had to drive to another part of the city to pick it up.

Voch

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 06:06 PM

I'm really quite impressed. I ordered a combo drive/60 GB iBook on wednesday NIGHT and recieved it this morning with paying only $18 extra for 2-3 day shipping.
12.1" Powerbook G4

NYK Ace
Senior User
Feb 18, 2005, 06:15 PM

i ordered a 12" iBook G4 800 refurbished awhile ago (right after the new models came out) and it was just like new.

only took a few days if i remember right

(since then i have done many mods to it of course including replacing the stock CD with a superdrive, adding a internal 60GB 7200RPM HD, 1GB memory, colored the glowing apple logo blue, etc..)

gcvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2005, 09:51 PM

well, i hope mine looks new

Mine took three days to arrive.

Kinda bummed to hear that others looked as new...but at least I never had to worry about putting that first scratch on it since it was already there!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 19, 2005, 10:31 PM

I have a simple question about refurbished/renewed/refreshed Macs. Where do you find them on Apple's site? I wandered through their Store site quite a bit, but I couldn't find any.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by ghporter:
I have a simple question about refurbished/renewed/refreshed Macs. Where do you find them on Apple's site? I wandered through their Store site quite a bit, but I couldn't find any.
On the Apple Store page, go to the bottom right hand column.

It's "Looking for a great deal? SAVE" right above the Tsunami Relief donation link.

There aren't always refurbished models available, but there are placeholders. The refurbished units come and go throughout the day.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2005, 02:43 AM

Wait....did a mod just ask that question. No offense or anything but I would think that a mod on MacNN would know about the refurb section, unless you're financially well off and never worry bout the price of your equipment.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 20, 2005, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Wait....did a mod just ask that question. No offense or anything but I would think that a mod on MacNN would know about the refurb section, unless you're financially well off and never worry bout the price of your equipment.
No offense taken, but you see I'm a fairly recent convert. We got our first Mac early last year (say "Happy Birthday" to my wife's iBook!), and of course I NEED one of my own.

Networking, that I know, since there's little that's Mac specific. Buying Macs, that I need some help with. Thanks!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2005, 11:19 AM

not to go TOO far off topic, but holy sh*t, they have a refurb 23" Cinema Display for 1400 bucks with free shipping on the refurb section...
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

Forum Links
Forum Rules