Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Stands??

View Poll Results: Stand?
Poll Options:
iCurve 9 votes (47.37%)
iLap 4 votes (21.05%)
One found in CompUsa/BestBuy 0 votes (0%)
Other 6 votes (31.58%)
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll
Stands??
phataccord04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 10:50 PM

I know a lot of you made your own stands 1 being PVC pipe (very inventive). In anycase just wondering what you guys like more? My laptop just sits on my desk and for the most part i use the keyboard on it, so if anything use the poll to help me out. If other mention what it is and site
Thanks
PB G4 1.33 15" Combo Drive 1,256 Mem :)

Ryan1524
Senior User
Dec 31, 2004, 01:32 AM

someone on this forum designed a stand out of aluminum, and it's very ncie.
Ryan

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 31, 2004, 03:22 AM

I actually use the RoadTools Traveller's CoolPad when I'm on the road. Its size won me over.

However, I use the iLap when I'm at the office. I have my PB hooked up to a USB keyboard and mouse. If my office desk didn't have a keyboard/mouse tray, I would have gone with the iCurve.

Fenbar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 09:51 PM

I personally like my GBreeze from MacMice. They don't make them anymore, but I have an Apple Reseller in Toronto that still has them in stock.

phataccord04  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2005, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by wilsonng:
I actually use the RoadTools Traveller's CoolPad when I'm on the road. Its size won me over.

However, I use the iLap when I'm at the office. I have my PB hooked up to a USB keyboard and mouse. If my office desk didn't have a keyboard/mouse tray, I would have gone with the iCurve.
YEa the CoolPad is the one i had before i gave it to my ex (bad move), ill have to get it again...
PB G4 1.33 15" Combo Drive 1,256 Mem :)

free lunch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2005, 01:32 AM

The Koolsink is a little pricey but it fits the PB design nicely. Puts the 'book a t a nice angle. I've had mine for about 6 months and am extremely satisfied.

It also functions as a "shell" for the Powerbook during travel. The stand hugs the laptop, yet it is so slim that my Powerbook still fits into its waterfields sleeve. I travel a lot and pack my bags pretty full, the Koolsink has so far kept my screen from becoming a casualty (which happened to a friend of mine, when she had to check her bag with the computer in it)
I accidently dropped my 12" at full speed from the back of my bicycle (in the sleeve with the Koolsink hugging it): not a dent!

links:
Koolsink Stand
Waterfield Sleeve
"Man is a biped without feathers."
Plato (427-347 BC)

hart
Senior User
Feb 21, 2005, 09:23 AM

I wanted to stick in my vote for the koolsink somewhere. Simple, classic, matches the powerbook design. Does its job. I wanted something that raised the angle of the keyboard that wasn't two books that kept sliding off the back of my desk (which I tried for several months). I have a very hazardous environment (3 kids under 10 all around my desk) so I needed something stable. Looks were also important to me and most of those other stands look overdesigned or underdesigned to me.

Yes, it's a little pricey, but it met my needs exactly so I went for it.

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 09:39 AM

I use the APC cooling platform: http://www.shaggymac.com//index.php?...roducts_id=31.

I love how it swivels easily. This is not for an external monitor setup. In that case iCurve is the way to go.
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 21, 2005, 10:48 AM

If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2005, 11:52 AM

Another vote for the Traveller CoolPad.

Voch

MichaelSullivan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 12:18 PM

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 12:26 AM

I made a stand out of a stack of jewel CD cases and a couple dead AA batteries. More info at http://semaya.net/projects/pismo/

paterss
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 10:10 AM

What are you using under the 17" Powerbook ?

I like the iCurve - but i'm worried if it can take the weight
and be stable with the big machine on top.

Stuart
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules