Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New things I've found in Tiger

New things I've found in Tiger (Page 6)
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 4, 2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by thanatos:
That is the most stupid thing I ever heard. When you cut files in windows they don't move until you paste. When you choose cut you get a reference to the files in the memory, but the files stay where they are until you paste. So there is no risk that the files will dissapear if you switch of your computer.
Yes, and that is the whole point. The way Windows does cut and paste is screwy because it breaks the cut-and-paste metaphor and therefore interface consistency. In an application that supports cut and paste, I expect to be able to:

1. Cut something to delete it.

2. Be able to copy a file, change it, and then paste the file, ending up with a file that is exactly the same as it was when I copied it, i.e. not having the changes I made.

3. Be able to cut a file, then paste it multiple times and end up with multiple copies.

This feature should be called something else, like "Pick Up" and "Drop" rather than cut and paste, since it does not act like cut and paste.

BTW, Excel pisses me off for the same reason.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

RonnieoftheRose
Jul 4, 2004, 12:14 PM

Does the ripple effect need pixel shaders? Animated transparent bumpmaps were used in Geforce 2 demos. They should have the ripple effect use that for chips that don't support pixel shaders.

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
When you 'cut' something, it should technically be deleted until pasted. Leave it to Microsoft to change it all. Files *shouldn't* stay when you cut. That's the risk you're taking by cutting. If you forget to paste, you lose.

Cutting and pasting should not apply to files/apps. The metaphor breaks. Maybe photocopy or the universally accepted 'Duplicate' but 'cut and paste' should be reserved for in-document editing. Just like you did in kindergarden cutting a square of paper and pasting it somewhere else. You shouldn't be able to 'cut' a document and paste it somewhere else in the Finder. I don't care if it's easier for people to do this. I agree that it's somewhat more difficult to manage files and move them around in 2004 now that we have huge HD with tons of files spread across it. But this concept should be dropped and a better way to manage files should replace the current one.

Thanks, Microsoft, for warping thanatos' fragile mind.

Anyhoo, Apple is developing a new way to manage files. You shouldn't need to move files much anymore in Tiger. If developers do their homework and default to proper folders to save files (ie Document for documents, Music for music, Movies for video, etc.), then everything should be generally well organized and Spotlight and Smart-Folders should do everything else for you. If you're still finding yourself moving files at all after Tiger, it's because you probably don't feel ready to make a step into a world of more powerful file management and won't be my or Apple's problem.

I'm tired to listening to that metaphore thing. I just know that as things are now there is no good easy way to move files in OSX.

Windows has a good way of moving files that would make my work and others a lot easier if it was implemented in OSX. Productivity is much more important than some peoples snob philosophical thinking. If you don't like that it is named "Cut" then OK lets called it something else.

And yes, you still need to move files in Tiger. All documents are not movies, music and pictures. In my work I need to organize text, code, documents and other files in folders and subfolders. How will Tiger predict where I want to put stuff? Some kind of AI maybe? If I for example put java classes in the wrong folder they won't work.

Man I hate that stuborn snob "everything that Apple says is right" attitude

Besides that I think Tiger will rock.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 12:35 PM

Windows has a good way of moving files that would make my work and others a lot easier if it was implemented in OSX. Productivity is much more important than some peoples snob philosophical thinking.
Windows has an ostensibly *simple* way of moving files via the "Cut" and "Paste" commands.

A *good* way it is not.

Nor is it really simple if you have to explain to users that "Cut" and "Paste" in this one case work totally differently than the global metaphors of "cut" and "paste".

Even more important than productivity is safety and clarity for users. Claiming otherwise is snob thinking of the technical elite.
If you don't like that it is named "Cut" then OK lets called it something else.
Well, we can agree on that. Wasn't so hard.

-s*

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Windows has an ostensibly *simple* way of moving files via the "Cut" and "Paste" commands.

A *good* way it is not.

Nor is it really simple if you have to explain to users that "Cut" and "Paste" in this one case work totally differently than the global metaphors of "cut" and "paste".

Even more important than productivity is safety and clarity for users. Claiming otherwise is snob thinking of the technical elite.
Well, we can agree on that. Wasn't so hard.

-s*

OK, then we can agree that it is a *good* and *simple* way of moving files if they change the name to something more pedagogic?

As I said earlier I dont't care what they call it, I just want that function!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 01:37 PM

Simple solution: you "cut" a file but it doesn't get "cut" until you "paste" it somewhere else. Never a worry about losing a file. If you shut down or restart with a "cut" file in your "clipboard" it just stays where it was. Files that are moved in this manner could become translucent when "cut" and then move to the new location when you paste it. Not that complicated if you ask me...

EDIT: A simple command-click command called "Move File" would suffice. No need for cut and paste metaphors. You command-click a file, select "Move File", icon turns transparent, navigate to new location, command-click, and select "Move File Here". If you change your mind, there is a new Menu Item called "Cancel Move" which appears when a file is in the process of being moved (i.e. after selecting "Move File" and does what it says: turns the icon back to normal and leaves things as they were. Should be easy to implement, three new Command-Click menu items: Move File, Move File Here, and Cancel Move.
( Last edited by Mrjinglesusa; Jul 4, 2004 at 01:52 PM. )

entrox
Senior User
Jul 4, 2004, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
NV25 = GeForce 4Ti, and very few people have one of those in their Mac. On the nvidia side most people either have a GF4 MX or a GF FX. Both support ARB_vertex_program but it's software emulated on everything but the FX.
Well, I have one. I'm still a little bit miffed because it is the last generation that doesn't support fragment programs in hardware. You're mistaken on ARB_vertex_program (Vertex Shaders 1.1 in DirectX-speak): that extension is fully accelerated on any NV17+ board. Sorry about the codenames, but I can't keep track of NVidias marketing names too well (is it GTS? Or Ultra? MX? 256?). NV17 should be a GeForce4 MX if I'm not mistaken.
ARB_fragment_program (Pixel Shaders 2.0) was first supported on NV30 (FX) and this is what's needed for full Core Image support.

But if all people want is the stupid ripple effect, hell you can do that on a Rage 128: source code and explanation
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say: not all effects and filters require full fragment programmability. But it is way easier to only support one rendering path instead of having separate ones for the different vendor-specific extensions (NV_register_combiners2, NV_texture_shader, ATI_fragment_program, ...)

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jul 4, 2004, 01:54 PM

The cut/paste debate has played out before in threads past, with just about the same result: it's a good idea, but they really need to call it something else. My suggestion is "pick up" and "put down", or something similar.

If you want the shelf functionality without having to use third-party software, though, there is a very little-known feature in Mac OS X that will help you. Drag the file or files you want to move onto the right-hand side of the Dock, and then as you drag them back out, hold down the Command key. Instead of disappearing from the Dock with the poof animation, the file will be moved to wherever you drop it. There are two problems with this: files aren't grouped like in XShelf so you'll have to drag the files back out one at a time, and the files stay in your Dock after you move them... so you might find you want to stick with your own method. Still, the option is there.

I find it difficult to believe that Cut/Paste isn't available as a contextual menu somewhere, by the way. You might want to take a look.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Mrjinglesusa:
Simple solution: you "cut" a file but it doesn't get "cut" until you "paste" it somewhere else. Never a worry about losing a file. If you shut down or restart with a "cut" file in your "clipboard" it just stays where it was. Files that are moved in this manner could become translucent when "cut" and then move to the new location when you paste it. Not that complicated if you ask me...
But it breaks the Cut & Paste metaphor. That's exactly how windows works, and that is exactly what people are arguing against.
EDIT: A simple command-click command called "Move File" would suffice. No need for cut and paste metaphors. You command-click a file, select "Move File", icon turns transparent, navigate to new location, command-click, and select "Move File Here". If you change your mind, there is a new Menu Item called "Cancel Move" which appears when a file is in the process of being moved (i.e. after selecting "Move File" and does what it says: turns the icon back to normal and leaves things as they were. Should be easy to implement, three new Command-Click menu items: Move File, Move File Here, and Cancel Move.
Command-Click is already used for non-contiguous object selection.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Phoenix1701:
If you want the shelf functionality without having to use third-party software, though, there is a very little-known feature in Mac OS X that will help you. Drag the file or files you want to move onto the right-hand side of the Dock, and then as you drag them back out, hold down the Command key. Instead of disappearing from the Dock with the poof animation, the file will be moved to wherever you drop it. There are two problems with this: files aren't grouped like in XShelf so you'll have to drag the files back out one at a time, and the files stay in your Dock after you move them... so you might find you want to stick with your own method. Still, the option is there.
What OS are you using?

It doesn't work in 10.3.4.

-s*

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 01:59 PM

Why is it alright to cut and paste text and graphics but not files?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
Why is it alright to cut and paste text and graphics but not files?
Read.

Short form (reiterated):

Because it works differently.

Cut some text. Do something else and forget about the cut selection. Shut down the machine or cut something else. Now paste. First selection is GONE.

Now cut some files you want to remove from a directory on a Windows machine. Do something else and forget about the cut selection. Shut down the machine or cut something else. Now paste. Originally cut files are suddenly back where they were (actually, they never left, but were greyed out).

What you are doing with the files on Windows is NOT "cut and paste", and it makes no sense to call it that. The first time I cut some files and forgot about them, I briefly panicked when I realized I'd copied something else in the meantime, because I assumed that stuff would work as expected (silly me, a Mac user on Windows) and my files would be gone.

-s*

thanatos
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2004, 02:26 PM

But it breaks the Cut & Paste metaphor. That's exactly how windows works, and that is exactly what people are arguing against. Command-Click is already used for non-contiguous object selection.

But as I and others have pointed out earlier, you can call it something else you don't need it to call it cut and paste. I don't understand why you are stuck on the name, when the functionality and not the name is important.

If you call it something else you don't brake your precious metaphore...

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 02:37 PM

Read.

Short form (reiterated):

Because it works differently.

Cut some text. Do something else and forget about the cut selection. Shut down the machine or cut something else. Now paste. First selection is GONE.

Now cut some files you want to remove from a directory on a Windows machine. Do something else and forget about the cut selection. Shut down the machine or cut something else. Now paste. Originally cut files are suddenly back where they were (actually, they never left, but were greyed out).
Fine. There's something wrong with it in Windows. Why shouldn't that be fixed or why should it be that way on the Mac? I don't see any reason to think if the cut command was brought to the Finder it would have the same problems as the Windows version, problems I never had because I tend, like most, to paste immediately after cutting.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jul 4, 2004, 03:11 PM

Cmd-Click "Move To..." is already available with this:

Quick Access

An integation of this at the OS level would be great, more intuitive and infinitely more self-explained.

Love it. It's Free.

T

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2004, 03:41 PM

Another thing that I like in Windows, is the right-click and drag file to somewhere. This brings up a menu asking if you want to copy the file, move the file, or create a shortcut at the place you chooes. Great feature.

As to the cut n paste. I use it all the time, for years, never been an issue. Not saying it wouldn't be for a few poor souls, but screw the metaphor ****, it works, and works well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 03:49 PM

But as I and others have pointed out earlier, you can call it something else you don't need it to call it cut and paste. I don't understand why you are stuck on the name, when the functionality and not the name is important.
I'm not. I was answering RooneyX's question.

Originally posted by rezonate:
Another thing that I like in Windows, is the right-click and drag file to somewhere. This brings up a menu asking if you want to copy the file, move the file, or create a shortcut at the place you chooes. Great feature.
Option-Drag and Command-Drag to alter copy/move behavior, Cmd-Opt-Drag to create an alias.

All there.

-s*

kefkafloyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2004, 03:51 PM

What OS are you using?

-s*
Yes, it does. I just did it. Very cool.

Drag it to the dock. Then once it's in the dock hold down the command key, and drag the file somewhere - it'll be moved. Yeah, it still leaves the icon on the dock, but... wow. I didn't know that. Very cool tip!

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 03:53 PM

What OS are you using?

-s*

*checks* yep it does. This is a little known thing, just to make it clear : THE DOCK CAN ACT AS A SHELF !!!! You just hold command (apple key) down as you drag out of the dock, and it moves that item.

This is one of those very useful things not many people know about..
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2004, 03:53 PM

There's a great wee tool I use called xshelf. Let's you drag items to it, then drag them to where you want later.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::

Quick Access

An integation of this at the OS level would be great, more intuitive and infinitely more self-explained.

Love it. It's Free.

T
Sort of what I'm talking about but not quite. That CM module only lets you select to move files to certain frequently used folders. Here is what I had in mind for a CM module:

Move--->
Move File
(Move Here)
(Cancel Move)

Move Here and Cancel Move would only become selectable once you select a file with Move File. If I knew how to code CM modules I would make it myself but as it is, I don't.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Jul 4, 2004, 06:43 PM

Sort of what I'm talking about but not quite. That CM module only lets you select to move files to certain frequently used folders. Here is what I had in mind for a CM module:

Move--->
Move File
(Move Here)
(Cancel Move)

Move Here and Cancel Move would only become selectable once you select a file with Move File. If I knew how to code CM modules I would make it myself but as it is, I don't.
It actually has a "Move to: Select Location" , "Copy to: Select Location" & "Make Alias In: Select Location"

Choosing any gives you a standard open/save dialog box.

Quick Access Homepage

T

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by :dragonflypro::

Quick Access

Love it. It's Free.

T
Thanks, that was brilliant!

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by entrox:
Well, I have one. I'm still a little bit miffed because it is the last generation that doesn't support fragment programs in hardware. You're mistaken on ARB_vertex_program (Vertex Shaders 1.1 in DirectX-speak): that extension is fully accelerated on any NV17+ board. Sorry about the codenames, but I can't keep track of NVidias marketing names too well (is it GTS? Or Ultra? MX? 256?). NV17 should be a GeForce4 MX if I'm not mistaken.
ARB_fragment_program (Pixel Shaders 2.0) was first supported on NV30 (FX) and this is what's needed for full Core Image support.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say: not all effects and filters require full fragment programmability. But it is way easier to only support one rendering path instead of having separate ones for the different vendor-specific extensions (NV_register_combiners2, NV_texture_shader, ATI_fragment_program, ...)
Apple's Spec Page: Only cards included in current macs are supported (even the geforce fx5200 roflmao!!!oneone!!!)

Translation: If your mac is more than a year old, you're an offense to steve jobs and apple. Buy a new mac because either your current one will have shitty support or you'll be stuck with 10.3 and won't be able to use the newest version of shapeshitter and ichat
Aloha

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2004, 09:37 PM

When one 'cuts' data, it moves to the Clipboard.

When one 'cuts' or 'copies' a file, can't it too move to the clipboard? Therefore, what should happen is that when the machine restarts, the data stays in the clipboard, the clipboard being treated as a special folder.
In vino veritas.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 4, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Apple's Spec Page: Only cards included in current macs are supported (even the geforce fx5200 roflmao!!!oneone!!!)

Translation: If your mac is more than a year old, you're an offense to steve jobs and apple. Buy a new mac because either your current one will have shitty support or you'll be stuck with 10.3 and won't be able to use the newest version of shapeshitter and ichat
That's right, Link, that's right.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2004, 10:37 PM

If you call it something else you don't brake your precious metaphore...
I think that is the whole point. No-one has a problem with the current windows functionality, but to call it cut and paste confuses an already established metaphor within other applications. You can't really extend this metaphor to file systems in the same way because data would be lost through an accidental copy or cut.

Especially since the clipboard is not application dependent.

Actually, I noticed the last time I used Word on Windows that they have a multiple item clipboard thing, how does this work with other applications? Or even Windows Explorer. What if I were to copy 5 distinct text or table items from Word and clicked paste in Windows Explorer?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by ixavi:
If you look in the "About the finder" option you can see it's still at 10.3 so we could expect some major changes by the time tiger ships.

What I'm impressed is about the stability of the beast even though it's an early beta.
Mine says 10.4

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2004, 10:43 PM

ftp is still busted using the "Connect to server" option like it is in 10.3. If I do a ftp://mysite.com on one of my sites, I get a -43 error. From the command line it works fine, and it worked in 10.2.8.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

yaro
Forum Regular
Jul 4, 2004, 11:37 PM

Just by reading this thread I gather that Tiger will be a real speed demon next year. It is already very snappy.

Moose
Senior User
Jul 4, 2004, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by starman:
ftp is still busted using the "Connect to server" option like it is in 10.3. If I do a ftp://mysite.com on one of my sites, I get a -43 error. From the command line it works fine, and it worked in 10.2.8.
http://bugreporter.apple.com/

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 12:54 AM

No one has answered my question, so I will just repeat it again...

I have a simple question about TIGER and SpotLight.

One of the annoying things that I have always found in previous Mac OS X versions, I couldn't search for files that had certain information inside the "Comments" metadata field.

Does TIGER with SpotLight allow you to do this now?

I like to put data inside the "Comments" field for a lot of my files. Being able to search for files that have data inside this field would be great.

This is similar to being to search for songs in iTunes by querying data that is in the comments tag.

Mike

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by MPMoriarty:
No one has answered my question, so I will just repeat it again...

I have a simple question about TIGER and SpotLight.

One of the annoying things that I have always found in previous Mac OS X versions, I couldn't search for files that had certain information inside the "Comments" metadata field.

Does TIGER with SpotLight allow you to do this now?

I like to put data inside the "Comments" field for a lot of my files. Being able to search for files that have data inside this field would be great.

This is similar to being to search for songs in iTunes by querying data that is in the comments tag.

Mike
As far as I can tell the current importer doesn't import comments data. Modifying it to do so would be fairly easy for Apple, though, so I expect they will.

MPMoriarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 01:54 AM

I hope they do allow you to search for files that have data inside the "comments" meta tag.

I usually use this field a lot with my PDF's. I enter a small description of the documents content.

If Apple is really serious and all about searching all your files metadata, then they better go all the way.

Mike

Mr Scruff
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2004, 06:06 AM

Not sure what your point is - would you like Apple to delay this technology for a few years until capable graphics cards are common?

I don't see how that would benefit anyone.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2004, 07:43 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
When one 'cuts' data, it moves to the Clipboard.

When one 'cuts' or 'copies' a file, can't it too move to the clipboard? Therefore, what should happen is that when the machine restarts, the data stays in the clipboard, the clipboard being treated as a special folder.
Fine.

I like the "XShelf" thing, because it appears to do just that.

But if you're going to call it "cut" and "paste", then you need to maintain consistency across the OS. Whatever file is in the clipboard folder will get replaced and deleted the second I select a line of text in a document and hit "copy". The text clipping will then be in the clipboard folder.

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2004, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
*checks* yep it does. This is a little known thing, just to make it clear : THE DOCK CAN ACT AS A SHELF !!!! You just hold command (apple key) down as you drag out of the dock, and it moves that item.

This is one of those very useful things not many people know about..
Ah, sorry.

Got it now.

You have to hold down the Command key BEFORE you click on the dock item.

It does not work as a modifier if you press and hold it while you're already dragging (which is contrary to the way drag modifiers work in, say, Finder )

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2004, 07:50 AM

OH MY GOD!!!!

APPLE IS TEH LOSER! DEY BWOCK MY IMAC WHEN DEY INTRODUCED TEH QUARTS EXTREAM!!!!

I don't get the cube animation when user-switching!

My machine is useless! Apple hates me! I have shitty support and my life is ruined because my computer won't do what it never did!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. .................................................. .................!

-s*

entrox
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 12:45 PM

That is to be expected. It is way easier to only support the newer cards, which expose the necessary functionality in a unified way. The thing that bothers me is that there is no newer card which has an ADC port and works on my MDD G4. The Radeon 9700 would, but it is not available at retail. The 9800 with ADC only works in G5s and the one without needs a $99 adapter. I sure won't be plopping down 500� for a not-so-new graphics card. I don't need the fancy ripple effects, but since I'm specialising in Graphics at University, programmable hardware at home would be cool.

BTW, nobody has mentioned Quicksilver yet: it has a pretty cool shelf,which can docked onto a screen edge. It is normally hidden, but when you touch the edge it plops out similar to a hidden dock.
I can't live without Quicksilver anymore

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 12:57 PM

OH MY GOD!!!!

APPLE IS TEH LOSER! DEY BWOCK MY IMAC WHEN DEY INTRODUCED TEH QUARTS EXTREAM!!!!

I don't get the cube animation when user-switching!

My machine is useless! Apple hates me! I have shitty support and my life is ruined because my computer won't do what it never did!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. .................................................. .................!

http://homepage.mac.com/spheric/gene...ke_rolleye.gif

-s*
Thank you.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 01:14 PM

If your mac is more than a year old, you're an offense to steve jobs and apple. Buy a new mac because
either your current one will have shitty support or you'll be stuck with 10.3 and won't be able to use the newest version of shapeshitter and ichat
Just wait until our PC "friends" get wind of the hardware requirements for Longhorn!

Chris

TigerPRO
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
Just wait until our PC "friends" get wind of the hardware requirements for Longhorn!

Chris
Good call!
Mac OS X is what windows users dream
about; they just don't know it.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2004, 04:32 PM

Chris
Runs great on a Pentium 3 600, with a simple 32MB Matrox card and 512MB ram.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 04:50 PM

Of course it does...just like Tiger will run on older hardware too. But some here were complaining because they wouldn't fully benefit from Core Image, just like some complained that Jaguar didn't give them Quartz Extreme.

Here is what Microsoft recommends for a longhorn PC (from http://www.msversus.org/index.php?q=node/view/28):

Longhorn's Expected Requirements (2006)

Processor: Dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz
Memory: 2 GB to 4 GB
Video: 64 MB (128+ MB recommended)

Chris

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2004, 05:30 PM

Of course it does...just like Tiger will run on older hardware too. But some here were complaining because they wouldn't fully benefit from Core Image, just like some complained that Jaguar didn't give them Quartz Extreme.

Here is what Microsoft recommends for a longhorn PC (from http://www.msversus.org/index.php?q=node/view/28):

Chris
Holy crap.

-Owl

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 05:42 PM

No one ever answered my question

Can someone please explain the details of .mac sync? Also someone mentioned .mac DNS, any details on that?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 07:07 PM

Chris
That's nonsense. It's more exaggerated than Zimphire's attacks on Democrats.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
That's nonsense. It's more exaggerated than Zimphire's attacks on Democrats.
We'll know for sure when MS announces the requirements but most agree those are about right. Seems you will essentially need a supercomputer to run that crap.

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 07:57 PM

We'll know for sure when MS announces the requirements but most agree those are about right. Seems you will essentially need a supercomputer to run that crap.
It's pure BS. Those are the top specs for machines will be around in 2006. Longhorn is more or less already running in mature form on machines under 1Ghz. If your graphics card is a little on the weak side Longhorn automatically reduces some GUI features but the underlying OS runs on just about any machines that has been around for the last couple of years.

As for that link, check other crud forcasted specs such as half terabyte drives. An OS that comes on a DVD does not and will not ever need 500GBs to install or even remotely close to that.

That site is basically like this, imagine some anti-Mac site that posts 'Tiger will need a dual G5 to run'. That's what you've read there.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2004, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by rezonate:
The 20% (or what) that are implemented do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules