Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2008 NHL playoffs

2008 NHL playoffs (Page 2)
villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The Wings are going to lose in round two to the Avs.

And Wings fans everywhere will feel pain.

And the good people of the world will be happy.

Then the Avs can lose in whatever manner the feel is best.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We'll see first whether the Wings play Colorado or Calgary. And then they will win against either team anyways (although the Avs would be much easier)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2008, 10:40 PM

That's pretty funny; have you ever considered stand-up comedy?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

We'll see first whether the Wings play Colorado or Calgary. And then they will win against either team anyways (although the Avs would be much easier)
Not that the Avs or Flames have that good a track record in the play offs the past few years, but have you really watched a Red Wings play off series since 2003? You have about a millimeter more credibility more than an Avs fan talking trash backed up by 2001 glory.
I mean bravado is fine and all that, but Detroit's just gotta be breathing a sigh of relief to make it to round 2.

Hahahahaha! Ducks are gone! Bertuzzi, may you never sniff a Stranley Cup you sucker-punching cockroach!
( Last edited by Rev-O; Apr 21, 2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Edited to mock the Ducks)
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Not that the Avs or Flames have that good a track record in the play offs the past few years, but have you really watched a Red Wings play off series since 2003? You have about a millimeter more credibility more than an Avs fan talking trash backed up by 2001 glory.
I mean bravado is fine and all that, but Detroit's just gotta be breathing a sigh of relief to make it to round 2.

Hahahahaha! Ducks are gone! Bertuzzi, may you never sniff a Stranley Cup you sucker-punching cockroach!
I am just basing my comments on this year play, not on the 1950's or whatnot. Colorado is the weakest team remaining in in the western conference, and I hope Detroit will get them rather than the Flames in the next round. Looking at past playoffs does not mean much of anything.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 08:19 PM

I am just basing my comments on this year play, not on the 1950's or whatnot. Colorado is the weakest team remaining in in the western conference, and I hope Detroit will get them rather than the Flames in the next round. Looking at past playoffs does not mean much of anything.
Spoken like a true Red Wing's fan. Past playoff performance means nothing. Even the first round bumps in 2001, 2003 and 2006.
Nothing
Oh, except the Deadwings started Chris Wasgood in goal. This is the same Chris Wasgood that always allows in a soft goal every game? The same Chris Wasgood who allows in the slapper from the blueline... right? He's still the undersized munchkin goalie who represents for the lollipop guild, right? Bet his presence between the pipes just inspires confidence amongst the Redwing faithful. Like the Redwing faithful were gathered around their television sets (because lord knows they didn't sell out squat for games this year... Hockey Town? Ffft.) thinking "if only they would put Wasgood in! Then we'd have a chance!"
The only reason the road to the Stanley Cup might go through Detroit is because of road construction. It's okay. I'll cut the Redwings some slack. Even a blind pig can find an acorn every once in a while. Even the sun shines on a dog's ass. Pick your cliché. It applies to the Redwings this season.
( Last edited by Rev-O; Apr 21, 2008 at 08:30 PM. )

lefty mclefty
Baninated
Apr 21, 2008, 09:31 PM

well done canadians....they shut down the bruins for sure...gradient, congrats....good luck to the habs as they continue on to the holy grail, the cup!

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by lefty mclefty View Post
well done canadians....they shut down the bruins for sure...gradient, congrats....good luck to the habs as they continue on to the holy grail, the cup!
Many thanks, my friend. Boston was a handful for most of the series and I was really questioning whether Montreal would be able to rebound in game 7. The big guns finally showed up, though, and Price had another great game. GO HABS GO!!

PS. It's spelled Canadiens

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 10:15 PM

Spoken like a true Red Wing's fan. Past playoff performance means nothing. Even the first round bumps in 2001, 2003 and 2006.
Nothing
Oh, except the Deadwings started Chris Wasgood in goal. This is the same Chris Wasgood that always allows in a soft goal every game? The same Chris Wasgood who allows in the slapper from the blueline... right? He's still the undersized munchkin goalie who represents for the lollipop guild, right? Bet his presence between the pipes just inspires confidence amongst the Redwing faithful. Like the Redwing faithful were gathered around their television sets (because lord knows they didn't sell out squat for games this year... Hockey Town? Ffft.) thinking "if only they would put Wasgood in! Then we'd have a chance!"
The only reason the road to the Stanley Cup might go through Detroit is because of road construction. It's okay. I'll cut the Redwings some slack. Even a blind pig can find an acorn every once in a while. Even the sun shines on a dog's ass. Pick your cliché. It applies to the Redwings this season.
The same Osgood that actually won a Stanley Cup in 1998 too. You sound like a bitter Colorado fan. You should be happy, the Avs made it to the second round this year. Does not happen all that often, does it?
I guess following this rant, you are probably rooting for the Sharks, so that Colorado meets the Wings in the next round. See, something we can agree on. :-)
I tell you, Colorado boy, the Avs used to scare me in the old days, but no more.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 10:19 PM

Can the Caps kick the Flyers out of this playoffs? Between that and the Ducks out, it would mean that the goon teams did not fare too well this year in the playoffs. Let's hope!!

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Many thanks, my friend. Boston was a handful for most of the series and I was really questioning whether Montreal would be able to rebound in game 7. The big guns finally showed up, though, and Price had another great game. GO HABS GO!!

PS. It's spelled Canadiens
The Canadiens finished this series on a high note. Still an impressive team. Who do you want now, Devils or Flyers?

PS Is it hard to be a partisan in Canucksville???

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 11:44 PM

The same Osgood that actually won a Stanley Cup in 1998 too. You sound like a bitter Colorado fan. You should be happy, the Avs made it to the second round this year. Does not happen all that often, does it?
I guess following this rant, you are probably rooting for the Sharks, so that Colorado meets the Wings in the next round. See, something we can agree on. :-)
I tell you, Colorado boy, the Avs used to scare me in the old days, but no more.
Huh. Curious that past playoff performances don't mean squat, but yet you have to dig back to 1998 to find a good performance of Chris Wasgood. So past playoff performances mean nothing, but past Stanley Cup performances carry some weight. Oh wait, you also were making excuses for Bertuzzi last season. Nevermind.

Nah, I'm not a bitter Avs fan. Actually I am very pleased that the Avs beat the Wild in the first round. The Avs could lose in 4 straight next round and I would still be pleased. I can stand watching my favorite team go down. As long as they acquit themselves well enough, I'm pretty satisfied. You see, the Avs don't carry the whole fabricated "Hockey Town" thing around, so they don't have really have anything to prove.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 12:18 AM

The Red Wings are the great Satan. An unholy force of evil, placed on this world to spread suffering and misery. Mike Ilitch has an twisted pact with the dark lord, so enjoy your success while you can, because soon, the evil one will be demanding payment, and Red Wings fans everywhere will have to answer for aligning themselves with such a dark and blasphemous power.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 12:44 AM

The Canadiens finished this series on a high note. Still an impressive team. Who do you want now, Devils or Flyers?

PS Is it hard to be a partisan in Canucksville???
Well it's going to be NYR or the Flyers and I'd definitely prefer the Flyers. The Rangers have all the right pieces to beat just about anybody, especially after they way they kicked the Devils. The flyers have been more inconsistent.

And no, I've got no trouble telling all those damn 'nucks fans to F-off when required.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 07:30 AM

Well it's going to be NYR or the Flyers and I'd definitely prefer the Flyers. The Rangers have all the right pieces to beat just about anybody, especially after they way they kicked the Devils. The flyers have been more inconsistent.

And no, I've got no trouble telling all those damn 'nucks fans to F-off when required.
Duh I meant the Rangers not the Devils...
The good thing about not being in Montreal right now is that you won't be accused to take part in this!!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 09:38 AM

The Red Wings are the great Satan. An unholy force of evil, placed on this world to spread suffering and misery. Mike Ilitch has an twisted pact with the dark lord, so enjoy your success while you can, because soon, the evil one will be demanding payment, and Red Wings fans everywhere will have to answer for aligning themselves with such a dark and blasphemous power.
He is demanding payment. Look at the Tigers.

Of course, if you play Pizza!Pizza! backwards, it is the Black Mass.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 10:47 AM

Duh I meant the Rangers not the Devils...
The good thing about not being in Montreal right now is that you won't be accused to take part in this!!
Ya, that's messed. A few bad apples...

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2008, 04:13 PM

go flyers!

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 10:57 PM

Habs / Flyers second round. Should be a good one!

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2008, 11:21 PM

Heh, not this year.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2008, 01:03 AM

Pens v. Rangers Second Round...
I hope the flyers get through to round 3 just so we can play them in the conference finals....

LETS GO PENS!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2008, 01:09 PM

Hot damn! Now THAT'S the Sharks I love to see play. Man, that was an awesome Game 7.

3 unanswered goals, 2 within a minute of each other. They made it look like Game 6 was planned, just so they could make the Flames feel good about themselves before they ripped their still-beating hearts out. They missed two empty nets, but I think they just didn't wanna rub it in. They have to maintain a level of professionalism. Hehe.

GO SHARKS!!!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 08:18 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, the Avs will have a tough time getting 2 games in this series. I'm confident that they'll win one against the Wings, but not so sure about any more.
The Avs have a huge edge in goal. Osgood standing on his head is every bit as good as Jose on an off day... but the Wings just have so much more depth. I doubt a mediocre goalie is going to hold the Wings back, as Osgood won't face many shots from the Avs. The Avs just don't have the firepower to expose Osgood.
Pulling for the Avs, but hey, I'm realistic

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2008, 10:24 PM

Wings 4 - 3! One down, 3 to go!

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Wings 4 - 3! One down, 3 to go!
Canadiens 4 - 3! One down, 3 to go!

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 01:10 AM

Damn, the Stars win it in overtime over the Sharks despite being DOMINATED for most of the game. Joe Thornton is well on his way to cementing his reputation as the biggest playoff choke artist of all time.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 01:24 PM

This is how I felt when the Canucks missed the playoffs this year.
Hitler reacts to Canucks missing the playoffs

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
This is how I felt when the Canucks missed the playoffs this year.
Hitler reacts to Canucks missing the playoffs
My god, that was brilliant. The movie that was taken from, Downfall, was that soooooo much MORE brilliant, though.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 04:21 PM

Damn, the Stars win it in overtime over the Sharks despite being DOMINATED for most of the game. Joe Thornton is well on his way to cementing his reputation as the biggest playoff choke artist of all time.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing while watching the 3ed period and the overtime. He does not seem to be able to get to that next level. Give credit to the Stars though, they are playing a smart fast game, and Turco is on his game.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 04:22 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, the Avs will have a tough time getting 2 games in this series. I'm confident that they'll win one against the Wings, but not so sure about any more.
The Avs have a huge edge in goal. Osgood standing on his head is every bit as good as Jose on an off day... but the Wings just have so much more depth. I doubt a mediocre goalie is going to hold the Wings back, as Osgood won't face many shots from the Avs. The Avs just don't have the firepower to expose Osgood.
Pulling for the Avs, but hey, I'm realistic
Well Theodore sucking is sure not helping the Avs' cause. Today 2nd goal was somewhat soft, but the third was simply bad... I am not sure whether he is still sick, but right now he is plain awful.
If the Avs lose this one, Forsberg will be in next game, no matter what his groin says.

edit : ok he could not do much on that 4th.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2008, 04:51 PM

Well Theodore sucking is sure not helping the Avs' cause. Today 2nd goal was somewhat soft, but the third was simply bad... I am not sure whether he is still sick, but right now he is plain awful.
If the Avs lose this one, Forsberg will be in next game, no matter what his groin says.

edit : ok he could not do much on that 4th.
The way I saw the series going in was the Avs would win game 3 or 4 and that was it. The Avs have a fair amount of talent but they've had little time in the regular season to gel as a team. With all the injuries during the regular season their talent had little time to actually play with each other. I think the Avs had more talent the the Wild but the Wild was a much better team. Theodore was the tie breaker in that series. This one, the Avs are out talented by the Red Wings, and the Red Wings function better as a team as well. No matter how bad Jose plays, I still think he's a far better goalie than what the Wings have between the pipes, but unless he stands on his head he's not going to be able to do it by himself. The one win I notch for the Avs just comes from a bit of relaxing by the Wings after they go up 2 or 3 zip.

I don't have high hopes for the Avs next season. I think the team is relying on too much on aged talent and a netminder is a big question mark. I doubt Jose will be back next year and Budaj is a kind of unknown. Last season he was pretty good, this season he was pretty iffy.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2008, 12:02 AM

both flyers and rangers deserve to lose their game 1...they got to comfortable and lost the edge each

go flyers with game 2! go rangers tomorrow!

btw my dream is flyers/red wings ...the rematch

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2008, 11:03 PM

Pittsburgh…domination!

I hope Montreal can pull it through, but it's looking a little iffy right now.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post

btw my dream is flyers/red wings ...the rematch
Well your Flyers took one nice step towards it. Can't say I am impressed with the Canadiens' PP.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 10:25 PM

It's getting ugly. Montreal is absolutely dominating the Flyers but it would seem that Price has nearly completely unravelled and Biron is played fantastic hockey. The Flyers got badly outshot again tonight but still pulled out the win. I sure hope Price can regain his composure for game 4 or this could be over quickly.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 12:36 AM

Red Wings 4 - 3! Three - zip in the series; bye bye Colorado!

klb5090
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 01:51 AM

Pens up 3-0, goodbye blueshirts and good bye jagr forever...
LETS GO PENS!

although i really don't like philly (i had other words), i really hope they can pull it out against the habs just because i do not want to play price and the canadiens in the conference finals and we know a state rivalry in the conference finals would be intense.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2008, 05:10 PM

I HATE DALLAS REFS! What the hell?

Whenever the Sharks play Dallas, the Refs are complete morons! This should be a 3-1 series with the Sharks in the lead, but the dumbass refs keep screwing over the Sharks. No goal because the ref couldn't see the puck? No goal because, after letting Dallas play out a delayed penalty with 3 shots on goal, they immediately blow the whistle on the Sharks before the puck goes into the net; then declare it no goal? They're not lighting the goal after Sharks score, adding to the confusion. TWO games lost because of Dalls refs screwing it up.

It's this exact same bullsh*t that prevented the Sharks from going to the Cup a few years ago.

I hate Dallas.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2008, 05:13 PM

Oh yea, go Nabby! He's holding the team together. Marleau's short handed goals are awesome.

GO SHARKS!!!

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 11:55 PM

Wow. I figured the Avs was the weakest team remaining in the playoffs : I did not realize they were that weak. And Queneville should take the blame for starting Theodore AGAIN. He should not have started game 3, let alone game 4. What an amazing decision.
The Wings have all the rebounds too tonight. What a pleasure to watch.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
May 1, 2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

Whenever the Sharks play Dallas, the Refs are complete morons! This should be a 3-1 series with the Sharks in the lead, but the dumbass refs keep screwing over the Sharks. No goal because the ref couldn't see the puck? No goal because, after letting Dallas play out a delayed penalty with 3 shots on goal, they immediately blow the whistle on the Sharks before the puck goes into the net; then declare it no goal? They're not lighting the goal after Sharks score, adding to the confusion. TWO games lost because of Dalls refs screwing it up.

It's this exact same bullsh*t that prevented the Sharks from going to the Cup a few years ago.

I hate Dallas.
I think the bigger issues with the Sharks are the fact that big Joe is not playing. I am starting to think the the Bruins were real smart about letting him go. He is nowhere to be seen. in this series He should be carrying the team along with Marleau (who is doing all he can at least, unlike last year). The second issue is that the Sharks do not match well against the Stars : they are just too slow on D, way too slow. And the Stars are circling around the Sharks (no pun intended).

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 12:39 AM

Detroit 8 - 2! Franzen with another hat trick (2 in this series), and 9 goals this series!

Bring it on!!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2008, 12:41 AM

I don't mean to rub it in (actually, who am I kidding; I do), but you were saying?

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

I hate Dallas.
Well tonight the Sharks got a huge break from the refs. The first Morrow goal really should have counted, and the Sharks would have been out. Not that I am complaining mind you, the more tired either team gets, the better it is for my Wings. :-)

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 09:48 PM

Au revoir, Montréal!

PS Would Huet have done better than Price?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 09:58 PM

I don't know how they did it but the flyers won this game...

poor price... i hope he is ok ...you know, mentally

well cool we did it!

go rangers!

klb5090
Mac Elite
May 4, 2008, 05:21 PM

Pens v. Flyers for a chance at the cup, it does not get more intense than this.
The PA rivalry at the highest level possible... LETS GO PENS

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 08:03 AM

It will be Detroit vs Dallas then. Should be good. Real good. Turco is scary. Goaltending is the only weakness for the Wings. They are better on the other aspects.

Go Wings!!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 5, 2008, 10:38 AM

It will be Detroit vs Dallas then. Should be good. Real good. Turco is scary. Goaltending is the only weakness for the Wings. They are better on the other aspects.

Go Wings!!
True enough. Detroit should win this series in 4. I don't think that there is much to stand in the way of the Wings claiming the Cup this year.
Flyers vs. Pens and Wings vs. Stars? Ugh. Time to stop watching Hockey. Wake me up when it's the season opener.

villalobos  (op)
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 10:09 PM

True enough. Detroit should win this series in 4. I don't think that there is much to stand in the way of the Wings claiming the Cup this year.
Flyers vs. Pens and Wings vs. Stars? Ugh. Time to stop watching Hockey. Wake me up when it's the season opener.
You might be right, if the Stars keep playing like fools like they did tonight... Needless to say I loved every minute of that game.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 10:19 PM

You might be right, if the Stars keep playing like fools like they did tonight... Needless to
say I loved every minute of that game.
It was a good one, wasn't it? Who is this Chris Wasgood, that a previous poster in this thread was talking about?

Forum Links
Forum Rules