Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > editing High Definition video on powermac g5.....

editing High Definition video on powermac g5.....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 23, 2010, 12:50 PM

HI

I am considering upgrading my camera to a high definition camcorder.

I wanted to ask people's opinion on whether my powermac g5 is powerful enough for editing HD video?

I have a dual 1.8GZ G5 with 2GB of RAM and a GeForce FX 5200 with 64MB RAM

I will be using both iMovie and Final Cut mostly

any ideas?

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 01:19 PM

Yes, your G5 is powerful enough to edit HD video, although I would recommend a miniDV HD camcorder for better compatibility. If you go the newer AVCHD camcorder route you won't get built-in compatibility with AVCHD on your G5 using Apple's software. There is, however, a third-party utility that converts AVCHD to friendlier formats called Voltaic HD, and it's G5 compatible. But if you go that route beware that you'll have to waste some time converting new footage from AVCHD to a QuickTime native format, and I don't know what kind of speed to expect from that software.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2010, 07:37 PM

Can it be done? Sure.
Is it particularly pleasant? No. It's slow and the available software doesn't support modern standards like AVCHD.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 07:43 PM

It's not slow if you're talking about miniDV HD editing. G5s perform fine at that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules