Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Leopard won't run BOINC at 100%

Leopard won't run BOINC at 100%
zombie67
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 03:05 PM

I have the original 8-way intel Mac Pro. Under Tiger, everything ran fine with 5.10.41. All 8 CPUs were at 100%, and nice showed correctly.

Today I did a clean wipe/install of Leopard. Now BOINC tasks show as user, instead of nice. If I read an earlier post in this thread correctly, that is a problem with Activity Monitor and/or MenuMeters. Fine. Annoying, but letting it go for now.

The really troubling problem that I am seeing is total CPU usage. Under Tiger, MenuMeters showed all 8 as 100% pegged, all the time. Now, the individual graphs are all jagged with peaks and valleys, and when I set it to "show average for multiple processors a single display" (similar to the way that windows does it) it is showing only about 80% usage. Top shows about 80% as well. A snapshot of the Activity Monitor is on my downloads page.

I just lost 20% of my crunching power! Help!

reader50
Administrator
Feb 11, 2008, 05:34 PM

Do you have a snapshot running under Tiger for comparison? I'm wondering if Tiger gave each process more memory.

If we can't trace a specific cause, then it would probably be a Leopard kernel glitch. Someone would need to report the bug, then you'd have to fall back to Tiger until a point update comes out to fix it.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 06:20 PM

No, no snapshot from before the OS change. FWIW, I have 2gb memory still unused.

I thought maybe it was throttling due to heat. I installed smcfancontrol, cranked up the fans, dropped the temp 15 deg C, but no change. I checked for dust bunnies too.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 09:11 PM

You still using 10.1 or the updated 10.2?
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 11, 2008, 11:37 PM

The update from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 today helped quite a bit! I went from 80% to the high 90s. That was a nice surprise. But still not 100%.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 12:05 AM

I see you crunch WCG. Can you let me know if you experience any problems with 10.2? I tried leopard when it came out and had errors so went back to tiger. Once my WU's finish in a couple weeks, I'll try leopard. BTW, I looked at your web site and saw all the different projects your crunching. How many computers are you running (if you don't mind me asking)? Your electric bill must be high.
Randy

zombie67  (op)
Senior User
Feb 12, 2008, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I see you crunch WCG. Can you let me know if you experience any problems with 10.2? I tried leopard when it came out and had errors so went back to tiger.
10.2? I guess you mean 10.5.2. So far so good. But I've only crunched a couple tasks so far.

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
BTW, I looked at your web site and saw all the different projects your crunching. How many computers are you running (if you don't mind me asking)? Your electric bill must be high.
Randy
Heh. That is just a list of ALL projects. I don't crunch for them all. In fact the ones in red, no one can. If you look at my stats, you will see what I am crunching lately.

And YES. It's damn high.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
And YES. It's damn high.
Ah, yes...the confession of a true addict.

QS

bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 09:59 AM

But a worth addiction. Hopefully, I'll be adding another mac pro by the end of the year. Don't care for alot of computers to clutter the room. Just more cores.

Forum Links
Forum Rules