Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Book on "high age" for my father

Book on "high age" for my father
HamSandwich
Oct 6, 2010, 08:20 AM

Hello,

my dad turns 72 next Wednesday and I'm still looking for a good book. I thought maybe a good book on "high age", I don't know, perhaps...

Why aging can be fun, what to do with it, health playful, dunno. Any ideas, suggestions? I'm still undecided.

Greetings,
Steve

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2010, 09:04 AM

taking this another direction...

does your dad use a computer? if not, does he write well enough for someone else to type it?

instead of getting him a book; help write his own "book". of memories/stories/family history. things he knows that can be passed down. your family then adds to it through the years. then onto your kids. etc. etc.

something to think about.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 6, 2010, 01:30 PM

Reminiscing can be a very good way to settle into "getting up there in years." A lot of accomplishments and achievements sort of slip under your radar unless you actually think about them.

Here's an example: my father-in-law made a lot of recordings of his experiences-joining the Army and becoming a paratrooper in WWII, adventures (while not in combat) in North Africa and Europe, lots of "wow, Dad, that's amazing" stuff. He said later that he was glad he'd done this because he had a new appreciation for how well he'd done in life. He made those recordings for my son, who was just a baby at the time. He also read a LOT of "Little Golden Books" onto tape, and when my grandchild is born, he/she will be able to hear great grandfather tell those stories. This was a really great thing for all of us.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SteveJobs View Post
Hello,

my dad turns 72 next Wednesday and I'm still looking for a good book. I thought maybe a good book on "high age", I don't know, perhaps...

Why aging can be fun, what to do with it, health playful, dunno. Any ideas, suggestions? I'm still undecided.
Nobody likes to be reminded that they're getting old.
So get him the latest Playboy.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

andi*pandi
Oct 6, 2010, 01:50 PM

From the title I thought you were looking for a book on pot!

My folks are about that old. You're beyond the point where you can mock their age, so I don't think you need to emphasize that at all. My folks go kayaking, play music, etc... what does he like?

Just get him something he can USE.

Forum Links
Forum Rules