Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why iPod Classic?

Why iPod Classic?
amyjones09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 06:57 PM

i think apple should have just given the ipod touch 160 gig and just drop the classic model

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 07:06 PM

160GB touch...well if you can figure out a way to fit a ....160GB HARD DRIVE... into that form factor YOU should be working for Apple

*my apologies for the disrespectful remark, greene_hornette is correct, the post seems unrealistic
( Last edited by klb5090; Oct 11, 2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Apology)

greene_hornette
Baninated
Oct 10, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
160GB touch...well if you can figure out a way to fit a ....160GB HARD DRIVE... into that form factor YOU should be working for Apple

that very well may be the stupidest post i ever read
Actually, your post qualifies as similarly stupid - it is not cool to be so mean-spirited to a fellow forum member.

I am not a moderator, but your post may qualify as bordering on personal insult - check the TOS for the board.

Also - imo, the original post was not stupid, just unrealistic!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2007, 07:16 PM

Why???
I went with the classic for several reasons.
1. the storage. Well above the 16gig amount found in the touch.
2. physical controls so I can adjust the volume with out needing to pull the ipod out of my pocket. the touch has no such features.
3. no disk mode on the touch, so I cannot back up my pictures.

While 80 gig is a large volume, I can see after uploading movies, pictures, music, backing up various folders from my hard drive that it could potentially get crowded.

Just because it may not fit your needs doesn't mean its universally bad.

AngelaBaby
Oct 10, 2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Why???
2. physical controls so I can adjust the volume with out needing to pull the ipod out of my pocket. the touch has no such features.

While 80 gig is a large volume, I can see after uploading movies, pictures, music, backing up various folders from my hard drive that it could potentially get crowded.

Great reasonings on why to choose the classic. I already have an iphone and a shuffle so I'm good until one of them breaks.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
The touch has flash memory.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2007, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The touch has flash memory.
I'm sure klb5090 was thinking that 160 GB of flash memory would be too expensive.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2007, 12:11 AM

exactly, the cost of implementing a 160GB of flash memory would make the price of the iPod Touch astronomical it wouldn't make good business sense, the only cost effective way of implementing a 160GB of storage is with a hard drive and if your looking for 80/160GB of storage for your entire collection of music/videos/tv shows then the iPod Classic is for you, its the precise reason apple didn't opt to remove the 'classic' from the line and stick with the touch/nano/iphone

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 05:52 PM

not to mention that the scroll wheel of the classic is vastly superior to the touch interface of the ipod touch when doing activities that need undivided attention or the simple use of being able to do something with one hand, ie. jogging, driving a car, etc...
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Smillz
Oct 11, 2007, 06:16 PM

Yeah as stated by everyone above, I am one of those people who loves to have ALL of my music with me. Not just some of it.

.Neo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2007, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
not to mention that the scroll wheel of the classic is vastly superior to the touch interface of the ipod touch when doing activities that need undivided attention or the simple use of being able to do something with one hand, ie. jogging, driving a car, etc...
That's actually one of the reasons why I returned my iPod touch. Every time I had to change tracks while riding my bike (something we tend to do a lot in Amsterdam) I had to pull over to look at what I was doing. With the classic I can change tracks or reduce/increase volume quickly without looking or pulling over.

At the moment the iPod touch has too many little annoyances and to me it just doesn't feel as an iPod anymore. The iPod classic is a REAL iPod.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Oct 11, 2007, 06:59 PM

Some of us like the clickwheel more and some of us also think the iPod nano needs higher-capacity versions.

I'm sure the iPod classic will stay for quite a while. Apple will probably switch the classic away from HDDs once capacities for 1.8" SSDs hit 128 GB at a reasonable enough price. Because sometimes, two NAND chips just doesn't provide enough storage. The classic will always have a place in Apple's lineup or they wouldn't have given it the "classic" suffix.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by .Neo View Post
That's actually one of the reasons why I returned my iPod touch. Every time I had to change tracks while riding my bike (something we tend to do a lot in Amsterdam) I had to pull over to look at what I was doing. With the classic I can change tracks or reduce/increase volume quickly without looking or pulling over.

At the moment the iPod touch has too many little annoyances and to me it just doesn't feel as an iPod anymore. The iPod classic is a REAL iPod.
i agree. that is my main annoyance with my iPhone, and i'm sure the new iPod touch as well. It is so unbelievably frustrating to take the phone out of your pocket and press a few buttons to change tracks. The home-double tap sort of fixed this, but I still can't change it while doing something or it being in my pocket (unless I've got apple's headphones on). They need to figure out something (no idea what it could be though) that would allow people to do simple things without the touch interface. I just can't see a way of this being implemented smoothly on the iPod touch...hmm..

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2007, 08:48 PM

If you want to carry any video around, 8 (or even 16) GB is just not enough storage.

I am glad Apple made the Classic - it's a decent, tho not perfect, iPod.

I think an ipod classic with an ipod touch on top would be no thicker than my 3G iPod, however. But that might be considered 'uncool' for a modern Apple product these days.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Why???

Exactly the reasons I got the 80 GB Classic instead of the Touch. Well, those reasons and the fact that I already have an 8 GB iPhone. A Touch and iPhone seems redundant.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
If you want to carry any video around, 8 (or even 16) GB is just not enough storage.
Not necessarily true. I have several albums, about 30 Video Podcasts, Dane Cook Vicious Circle (ripped DVD), Best of Adam Sandler SNL (iTunes Video), and Tombstone (iTunes Movie) on my 8 GB iPhone. Still have 3 GB left. Unless you want to have 10 movies, a full season of a TV show, tons of music, etc. with you at all times, 8 GB is plenty to keep enough material for a day or two.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2007, 04:23 AM

I want all my music and a few TV shows or movies with me all the time. That's why I need at least 50 GB. I'd buy an iPod touch immediately once it reaches that kind of capacity, but until then the iPod classic is an excellent iPod for people like me.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2007, 12:33 PM

Comparing the two units, the ipod touch may not be thick enough to accomodate the hard drive or the battery requirements of the hard drive. The battery life of the touch is predicated that it is using flash memory, so it can use a thinner, smaller battery.
Plus, the Apple philosophy is not to use older technology in newer products. That is part of the reason there is no built-in FM in iPods, and these newer models don't have hard drives. The classic ipod does because it is what it is, an older technology that's still sells.

Forum Links
Forum Rules