Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > What menu-bar apps do you use/recommend?

What menu-bar apps do you use/recommend?
hostvisions
Jan 29, 2004, 09:51 AM

Hi all,

I'm still relatively new to the Mac environment so please bear with me. I've read the great thread about OS X applications that you recommend and have downloaded several - thank you for your recommendations.

I was wondering what menu-bar applications you would recommend? I downloaded one for weather which is quite useful, and have seen one that puts a google search box on your menubar which I'd like to have but can't find. I'd also like something that shows network traffic (again, I've seen this on a screenshot but cannot find it anywhere).

What apps would you recommend?

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 10:11 AM

I use:

Desktop Manager (for managing multiple desktops)

DockBlock (to hide, disable or show the dock)

I'd use a weather app if I could find one that didn't show up blurry.

-Jason

benign
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 10:27 AM

Another Launcher 3.2.1 : donationware

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20035

Limited only by your imagination.

4.6 VersionTracker stars

Simple Empire...

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 10:36 AM

ShadowClipboard the best clipboard manager on the planet. 4.7 VersionTracker stars Hah!

Other apps that I consider to be essential menu bar applications are Synergy and MenuMeters...
( Last edited by kovacs; Jan 29, 2004 at 11:23 AM. )

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 10:40 AM

• LaunchBar
  • Synergy
  • Weatherpop
  • MenuMail

You can probably replace the to last ones with Konfabulator if you want..

FB Eye
Senior User
Jan 29, 2004, 10:50 AM

1) MenuMeters is a must-have (network activity)
2) MUMenu (MacUpdate listing)
3) Meteorologist
4) Cee Pee You X

HytestA
Jan 29, 2004, 12:24 PM

Meteorologist for weather
Fuzzy clock for time (best clock out there imho)
Menumeters for Network traffic, disk space, CPU useage and something else too
MUMenu for them updates
Quakemenu for Quake3 servers
Safarimenu for Bookmarks

One thing I would say is that using MenuMeters installs MenuCracker to enable use of the menubar. When i had 10.2 installed I used Unsanities MenuEnabler to show the menu apps, with 10.3 I started having problems with certain apps loading and others not. It boiled down to MenuCracker and Menuenabler clashing with each other. Removal of Menuenabler solved this problem
...ill get my coat

benign
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 12:38 PM

SleepLess: very small - very useful.
http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

Simple Empire...

JudieKaren
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by hostvisions:
Hi all,

I'm still relatively new to the Mac environment so please bear with me. I've read the great thread about OS X applications that you recommend and have downloaded several - thank you for your recommendations.

I was wondering what menu-bar applications you would recommend? I downloaded one for weather which is quite useful, and have seen one that puts a google search box on your menubar which I'd like to have but can't find. I'd also like something that shows network traffic (again, I've seen this on a screenshot but cannot find it anywhere).

What apps would you recommend?
Another vote for *Another Launcher*. It's the one that puts the Google box in your menubar.
( Last edited by JudieKaren; Jan 29, 2004 at 02:12 PM. )
JudieKaren

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 02:47 PM

Menu Meters, Desktop Manager, and Another Launcher are the ones I use all the time. Another Launcher has so many features, it has replaced several other apps I ran before.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

phillryu
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 02:52 PM

EDIT: Um yah, I realize now this was menubar specific apps, but Adium does have a menu item
( Last edited by phillryu; Jan 29, 2004 at 04:14 PM. )

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 03:50 PM

Desktop Manager and Another Launcher for me. Another Launcher is just awesome.

hostvisions  (op)
Jan 29, 2004, 04:25 PM

thanks, keep them coming!

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 05:25 PM

I just tried Another Launcher... I have to say it's one of the coolest apps I have ever used. Everybody should get it.

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Jaey:
I just tried Another Launcher... I have to say it's one of the coolest apps I have ever used. Everybody should get it.

It r0xx0rz

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2004, 07:12 PM

just open Keychan access and active the menu extra for the app, so you can lock your Mac screen anytime in a snap

valdur
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 07:33 PM

can all be found on versiontracker...

wClock, Menu Meters, Another Launcher, WeatherPop, and i use to have synergy but haven't been using it lately bcuz of some problems...but if it works properly..cant live without..and finally...Process Wizard...i love this utility...

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by valdur:
can all be found on versiontracker...

wClock, Menu Meters, Another Launcher, WeatherPop, and i use to have synergy but haven't been using it lately bcuz of some problems...but if it works properly..cant live without..and finally...Process Wizard...i love this utility...
What do you need synergy for if you have Another Launcher??? It can do the exact same thing ...
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

valdur
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2004, 08:41 PM

i need synergy for the "wow" factor...i like the transparent floater that displays the ablum art for each new song...pc users are always somehow amazed at this and so am i still..but yeah...for now i'm using another launcher to pause/play and skip through songs...

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 09:48 PM

hey guys... quick question. it appears that a lot of you guys use another launcher and love it. me too. i'm trying to stop using synergy and just use AL.... and this brings me to my question.
how can i create hotkeys that show and hide itunes? can this be done in AL? if so how?
any help is greatly appreciated!
cheers.
bv.
blueverticalstudio_ boston new york los angeles
www.blueverticalstudio.com
www.theblogproject.com

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 10:07 PM

really simple, drag iTunes from your application folder into the edit window of AL, then dubble click on it from your AL window, (not the name, or it will try to rename it) it will drop down a window that has the option to set hot keys, set it to the key you want, there is also a "hid active application" menu, that you can set a hot key for that too....

hope this helps....

Zee

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 10:16 PM

ahhh zee thanks! the hide command was what i couldn't find.
tx!
bv
www.theblogproject.com

bluevertical
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 10:21 PM

zee.. i have another one for u about AL. is there a way yet to toggle shuffle on itunes?
again thanks for the help.
bv.
www.theblogproject.com

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2004, 10:45 PM

it would be hella easy to write like a 4 line applescript that does that, I bet you could even find one on the net somewhere already made, maybe even on macosxhints.com, then just stick a hot key on it and kaboom, you've got another menu for AL...

it would be pretty easy to make a whole bunch of little applescripts for AL to make OS X even easer to use with hot keys, (and we could even post them here?)

yay, this app rocks, its iTunes buttons are way faster then synergy's where to click and get a response from.

Zee

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2004, 10:59 PM

If you post pictures to web forums, or otherwise want to upload pics to FTP, WebDAV or .Mac, you gotta try ImageWell from Xtralean software.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 11:15 PM

For menubar weather apps I'd recommend WeatherMenu over WeatherPop (which I used for a very long time). WeatherMenu is very customizable with more information to add and has prettier icons. Plus, for me at least, I always get more accurate forecasts (no matter what source I used with WeatherPop, it almost always had very messed up and inaccurate forecasts).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2004, 12:00 AM

im a big fan of meteorologist but it seems to crash every few days. Hopefully the new sourceforge memebers are actually working on it and it hasn't died. Even still, works the best for me and has the nicest looking icons IMHO.

Lord Sith
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 12:20 AM

Originally posted by MacDog:
If you post pictures to web forums, or otherwise want to upload pics to FTP, WebDAV or .Mac, you gotta try ImageWell from Xtralean software.

Nice tip...... I wasn't aware of this app.

Nice.

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 12:23 AM

Another great thing you can do with Another launcher is put all your "real" menu extras in a drop down menu, lets say you use alot of your default menu extras, (stored in "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras") like the clock, ichat, airport, battery, volume, PPP, and so on, well sometimes you don't have enough space up there for all of them,(like me with my 12" screen) or you are just not using some of them of them very much,

solution, make an alias of the menu extras folder in A,L have it be a drop down menu, then when you don't want one of them up there, hold down the command key and drag it out like its a dock, then when you need it again you just select it in your new menu,

my use, I always have AL's itunes changer up there when I am in my room, and I dont want, or need a clock or battery or airport level when I am in my room, but when I take my laptop with me, (every minute that I am not in my room) I start the whole folder of them.

sorry for my bad wording, little had to understand what exactly I am saying but, if you try it, I am sure you will use it,

believe me, its really cool and useful...

Zee

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2004, 07:33 AM

Shouldn't this thread rather be in Software btw..?

Frisbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by brutal:
Shouldn't this thread rather be in Software btw..?
Well, it is software, but it's also customizing your GUI...

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2004, 10:16 AM

I don't see many peple complaining about it being here.
Zee, Just like to say, glad you're here. You make a great addition to our community.
Sorry to others who have also registered and havent gotten my regards as well.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 03:34 PM

Thank you Stuphalina, I have been reading the GUI Customization forums every morning before school for about a month now, and I finally got the nerv to start contributing my OS X knowledge, and am hoping I can be apart of this great aestheticly pleasing GUI community.

p.s. just found the app "geektool" and have been playing with it for like 30 minutes, you can make a really great looking "menu" clock, though it is an overlay not a "real" menu.

Zee

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 08:53 PM

slighty off topic, but does anyone know how to make your own menu?

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 09:56 PM

menu or menu extra? very different things...

Zee

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2004, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
Well, it is software, but it's also customizing your GUI...
it's no more "customizing your GUI" than running an application is. this should be in the software forum.

-r.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Apfhex:
For menubar weather apps I'd recommend WeatherMenu over WeatherPop (which I used for a very long time). WeatherMenu is very customizable with more information to add and has prettier icons. Plus, for me at least, I always get more accurate forecasts (no matter what source I used with WeatherPop, it almost always had very messed up and inaccurate forecasts).
This is the forum for people with taste... when you open WeatherMenu up it still looks like someone took a turd on a piece of paper. Too much info squeezed into one space with very little logical order no matter how pretty the icons are.

dru
Senior User
Jan 30, 2004, 10:17 PM

I use DiskSpace to keep an eye on exactly that: free space available since I alway sseem to be running out.

http://www.mysterysoftware.com/DiskSpace/
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2004, 01:44 AM

I like the Classic Spy app icon better then OS X's built-in Classic monitor (look at Sys Prefs > Classic.) I also think iSeek is a great product, though I don't use it much.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

dhamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2004, 03:04 AM

A question about AnotherLauncher...

I use synergy at the moment, and I want to switch to just AL, but I can't seem to set the hotkeys for itunes control to command-F13, command-F14, etc. which is precisely where I want them.

Also, with the speediness of AL, I want to ditch Konfabulator as a startup item. However, I want to keep it on my computer for handy things like the kitchen timer and headlines and ebay watcher. But it's not stuff I need constantly, so I want to get it out of my startup items. Unfortunately, I can't find out how to do that. I can't access any kind of preference menu that would let me disable this, though I remember seeing the option in either the installer or on initial startup.

All help appreciated.

Fellow2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2004, 04:16 AM

Originally posted by dhamon:
A question about AnotherLauncher...

I use synergy at the moment, and I want to switch to just AL, but I can't seem to set the hotkeys for itunes control to command-F13, command-F14, etc. which is precisely where I want them.

Also, with the speediness of AL, I want to ditch Konfabulator as a startup item. However, I want to keep it on my computer for handy things like the kitchen timer and headlines and ebay watcher. But it's not stuff I need constantly, so I want to get it out of my startup items. Unfortunately, I can't find out how to do that. I can't access any kind of preference menu that would let me disable this, though I remember seeing the option in either the installer or on initial startup.

All help appreciated.
Click on the Apple menu and open up your system preferences panel. From there, select the 'Accounts' pane. Inside the pane, select your user name, then look at the furthest right tab. It should be labeled 'startup items.' From there, you can select what you want to run at startup.

dhamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2004, 04:21 PM

I see Login Items, but no Startup Items. Maybe that's only on panther? I'm using 10.2.5

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2004, 07:30 PM

Well, Login items are the same thing as startup items.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

dhamon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2004, 03:35 AM

I would tend to disagree:

No evidence of a list of applications launching on login/startup.

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2004, 04:43 AM

Originally posted by dhamon:
I would tend to disagree
You guys need to start saying which OS version you're using because 10.3 and 10.2 access this in different ways, but the effects are the same.

In 10.2 there is a Login Items preference panel. Can't miss it.

In 10.3 you do what Fellow2000 said.
DigitalRamen sucks.

AfterTen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by King Bob On The Cob:
This is the forum for people with taste... when you open WeatherMenu up it still looks like someone took a turd on a piece of paper. Too much info squeezed into one space with very little logical order no matter how pretty the icons are.
Interesting perspective since the menu is pretty much completely customizable. You can put just about any piece of information in any order, choose to display or not display inforamtion, choose the number of forecast days to display. Customize the information and look (color and font) of what appears in the menubar. You can also add spacers in the menu at almost any point to spead out the information. Also, the icons are pretty (you even said so yourself). So what's the real problem? Right now it sounds like PEBCAC to me
Dean Davis
http://www.afterten.com

Zee_on
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 03:02 PM

Another Launcher is getting a name change!!!

they released an update today, and when you open the update, you get this message about the next version:

this is the best application for customizing your menu-bar, you can make put anything up there, and it makes tons of room in my dock, (its a great place to put apps you only use once in awhile)

I really hope they don't start charging for it, MacUpdate.com lists it as shareware, not donationware like it is...

(idea, maybe I should start a Post your menu-bar and AL configurations thread???

Zee

Forum Links
Forum Rules