Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Project management without Office 2004

Project management without Office 2004
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 04:02 PM

Does anyone know of any project management software out there besides what's rolled into Entourage 2004? This topic hasn't been brought up for about 2 years, which is surprising given it's usefulness. Basically, I'm looking for an app that can manage not only manage my to-dos based on the project to which they are assigned, but also contain "links" to files related to that project. I also want to keep using Mail.app instead of Entourage for a number of reasons, so it would be nice if it integrated with that or Address Book. I checked out xTime, but it doesn't have the file management capabilities. Any ideas?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Chinasaur
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 10:20 PM

What? No Gantt charts, resource loading, curves, CV or SV requirements?

http://www.microplanning.com/Default.aspx?tabid=2097

MicroPlanner has been out for years. Used it at Boeing in 1990 and it was ok..nowhere near Primavera level but ok.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:08 PM

I guess I should clarify. I do a lot of scientific writing as well as websites and other computer related work that depends heavily on files and correspondence. I would like a way to organize a "project" and add all parties' contacts, related emails, and pertinent files in an interface where I can manage them all dynamically.

Say I get an email with an attachment from a professor. The attachment is a PDF. I define the email as belonging to a certain project. I can then save the PDF to the projects "database", preview it if I need to, and organize it in relation to other research I may have done. When I write, I work with a lot of PDFs and a number of emails. It would be nice to have one way to organize them all in one location regardless of where they sit in the file system. I may have an article from an old paper that is again relevant but do not want to duplicate it in my working directory". Does that help any? If not I can clear it up. I guess it looks like I want Entourage 2004 but with Mail.app and a stand alone app that uses services or a CMM plugin.

cowerd
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 12:04 AM

yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 10:26 AM

Well, I've downloaded DEVONthink and tried it out a bit. I don't have anything major right now, so it's a bit tough to judge. There seems to be a bit of a "curve" as far as getting used to the thing. It would be nice if it integrated with Mail more tightly, but it looks to be as good as we can get at this point.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 04:58 PM

Yeah...you want a Groupware app...not PM software.

I saw an app a while ago on MacNN front page that did a lot of "whiteboard" and other attachment things...you might go back and re-read a few past weeks listings.

Luck.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 18, 2004, 11:09 AM

DevonThink Pro will be out in a month or two. It should suit your needs quite nicely.
"-Dodge This"

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2004, 10:05 AM

How will DevonThink Pro differ from the Personal Edition? Does it integrate with Mail.app better?

Forum Links
Forum Rules