Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > tablet fun...

tablet fun...
iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 05:27 PM

im about to buy a tablet and figured id get some recommendations before doing so. im looking at the graphire 4 (4x5 & 6x8) or intuos (6x8). obviously the intuos is the best, but i doubt i need alllll of the things it does, not to mention the price. i do have a 6x8 tablet for use at school and find it fun and easy to use, but it does get annoying at how much i have to move my hand to do simple stuff in illy and ps palettes. so through my logic the 4x5 would be best (and most affordable) because i wouldnt need to span across the extra space of the bigger tablet, but will it be too constricting later on the road? any other things to take into consideration?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

chirpy22
Apr 5, 2006, 06:16 PM

it's really personal preference. i have an intuos 6x8 and it's the perfect size for me. plus, i like having the programmable button bar at the top.

art_director
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by chirpy22
it's really personal preference. i have an intuos 6x8 and it's the perfect size for me. plus, i like having the programmable button bar at the top.

I'll second that, it's the perfect size and those buttons are wonderful.

Like chirpy said, it comes down to preference. I had the 4x5 but it was too small for me.

Once they make OSX drivers I'm getting one of these as well:

http://www.ergodex.com/mainpage.htm

I checked it out in person and was blown away. Also, heard rumors of some nifty new add-ons they're developing.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2006, 11:47 PM

I've got the 6x8 Intuos2 and I like it alot. Check out the guide on Wacoms site to help narrow down which size tablet is best for your screen size:
http://www.wacom.com/tabletwizard/index.cfm

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2006, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
im about to buy a tablet and figured id get some recommendations before doing so. im looking at the graphire 4 (4x5 & 6x8) or intuos (6x8). obviously the intuos is the best, but i doubt i need alllll of the things it does, not to mention the price. i do have a 6x8 tablet for use at school and find it fun and easy to use, but it does get annoying at how much i have to move my hand to do simple stuff in illy and ps palettes. so through my logic the 4x5 would be best (and most affordable) because i wouldnt need to span across the extra space of the bigger tablet, but will it be too constricting later on the road? any other things to take into consideration?
i have the graphire, complete waist of a good gift card...

ok you have to hover over the tablet, if you put use the pen on the tablet as you would on a piece a pen on paper by actually allowing it to touch and write this way... it clicks...and clicks...and clicks... there is no way to turn this off on the graphire, but there is on the intuos. i wish i had know this before wasting my gift card.. but i digress.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2006, 03:26 AM

well im used to it hovering (thats how the intuos is setup at school) and sorta like it...does that make me weird? thanks for the link greenamp. im especially interested in anybody who has a widescreen monitor and a 4x5 tablet.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
well im used to it hovering (thats how the intuos is setup at school) and sorta like it...does that make me weird? thanks for the link greenamp. im especially interested in anybody who has a widescreen monitor and a 4x5 tablet.
no it doesnt other people like it... i just cant stand it... which there was a hack somewhere to turn it off (the tap click) so i could enjoy my tablet..
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

Forum Links
Forum Rules