Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > i got mugged... : (

i got mugged... : ( (Page 2)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
this guys getting a brick thrown through his car window once my friends sister in law gets his address for me (she works at the dmv).
There ya go. Take it in your own hands.

-t

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 10:28 PM

basically i was taking pictures of a dumpster which was under some stellar light...this dude turned the corner bout 400yds away and ruined my light so i waited for him to pass so i could start shooting again...he stopped and started to ask if i was taking pictures of his car...mind you i was already there before he took the turn in to the alley...and i guess he didnt believe me and walked up to me threatening me, i was shocked and confused so i just froze...and he shoved me and snatched the camera at the same time and got back in his car still threatening me and took off. if the police dont do anything...this guys getting a brick thrown through his car window once my friends sister in law gets his address for me (she works at the dmv).

im going back to the alley again tonight to wrap up my photos...but this time im carrying a 2" knife incase i run into this douche bag again.

Maybe he was a mobster. In which case you'd be happy he just made off with your camera, and not your life. They don't like people taking their pictures I hear....

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2007, 10:49 PM

basically i was taking pictures of a dumpster which was under some stellar light...this dude turned the corner bout 400yds away and ruined my light so i waited for him to pass so i could start shooting again...he stopped and started to ask if i was taking pictures of his car...mind you i was already there before he took the turn in to the alley...and i guess he didnt believe me and walked up to me threatening me, i was shocked and confused so i just froze...and he shoved me and snatched the camera at the same time and got back in his car still threatening me and took off. if the police dont do anything...this guys getting a brick thrown through his car window once my friends sister in law gets his address for me (she works at the dmv).

im going back to the alley again tonight to wrap up my photos...but this time im carrying a 2" knife incase i run into this douche bag again.
so now that you're all hard, you're going to start carrying a 2" blade and doing retarded passive-aggressive sh*t like tossing bricks through peoples windows? not saying he doesn't have it coming, but COME ON man, dump the internet toughguy act (this thread is a pretty amazing testament to this) and get over it. you're acting like a little kid about this.

Cipher13
Jan 17, 2007, 11:17 PM

That knife needs another digit.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 11:22 PM

knife is being carried because i dont want this happening again and yeah...carrying a blade will add confidence to this passive guy. there is no tough guy act, i just dont want something similar happening, if i had pepperspray id carry that instead, and yeah? whats wrong with terrorizing a guy who stole from me?...should i walk to his door and ask for the camera instead? ill admit im passive aggressive but theres no way im getting fooled twice...shame on you.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

faragbre967
Senior User
Jan 17, 2007, 11:27 PM

Did anyone ever think this guy was doing something very illegal moments before turning the corner? Could have been mafia or drug related. What ethnicity was the guy that took the camera? If he was very ethnic you might wanna reconsider that whole brick through the windshield scenario.

(OK I guess I completely missed kmkkid's post. But my point still stands.)
( Last edited by faragbre967; Jan 17, 2007 at 11:30 PM. Reason: I'm stupid)

finboy
Jan 18, 2007, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
this was a mugging, but something's fishy there. he just grabbed the camera?
Sure, I figured he didn't want his picture taken.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by faragbre967 View Post
(OK I guess I completely missed kmkkid's post. But my point still stands.)
...and mine.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2007, 01:49 AM

dan, sup.

Yeah, it's a nice area, but it's a culturally diverse city (Ft. Lauderdale) and there's some real bad areas. Well, everyone's got a car, even bad guys, and boy isn't it fun to go out and rob some people on a Saturday night? (If you're a particular segment of the black male population in this area, apparently it is)

And yes, sometimes they'll targeted waiters or bartenders or such. I've known dudes for years that got got. A few hot ass chicks I know got stolen from at wee hours leaving their cocktail jobs. I always used to have my wine_key open with the corkscrew part sticking through my knuckles. When we used to allow open glass bottles in the streets (up until two years ago) If I were walking late at night downtown, I'd always carry an empty beer bottle to the garage with me.

Also, I'll speak frankly: These guys doing it in my area, are all black. Dumb ass thugs. Know what they're used to? White people being scared of them. Scared shitless in fact. That has more to do with the notion they may have a gun or will surely take a swing at you. **** that. Swing first, swing often, and kick 'em when he's down.

To whomever, I'm not really trying to be tough guy, or telling iRez what he should have done. If some big_bald_Russian(insert any badass) lookin' mafia guy rolled up in an Audi S8(choose your car) while I was taking pictures and jumped out bitching at me while I was photogin' I don't think I'd have stuck around. I have a personal space issue with strangers.

Having friends around is perhaps the best idea for street level excursions.
ice

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 01:57 AM

for the knock em' out people:
When I was in France, I saw a guy that tried to take a woman's purse and was unsuccessful so he started running away. Two guys caught up to him and just wailed on him until a cop came by and arrested the perp.

/story

Alex

edit:
about the knife thing. if you draw it, then I would think that you could get in more trouble by having a "deadly weapon" when the mugger might not have anything. you: "but it was self defense!" judge: "oh well, he didn't have a weapon you did."

I don't know the law about that, but does that make sense to anyone? can anyone enlighten?

Alex
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jan 18, 2007 at 02:01 AM. Reason: the than then thing)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2007, 02:00 AM

basically i was taking pictures of a dumpster which was under some stellar light
Wonder if there was something in the dumpster he was concerned you were taking a picture of.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 18, 2007, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
for the knock em' out people:
When I was in France, I saw a guy that tried to take a woman's purse and was unsuccessful so he started running away. Two guys caught up to him and just wailed on him until a cop came by and arrested the perp.

/story

Alex

edit:
about the knife thing. if you draw it, then I would think that you could get in more trouble by having a "deadly weapon" when the mugger might not have anything. you: "but it was self defense!" judge: "oh well, he didn't have a weapon you did."

I don't know the law about that, but does that make sense to anyone? can anyone enlighten?

Alex
It's up to the State. Different laws exist for that kind of thing everywhere. But yeah regardless: having a little knife out with a crappy handle/grip is a bad idea if you're not a real champ with the thing.

BTW, I'll carry a machete around the house with me late at night if I hear something out of the ordinary. I think it's fun! It lives near my bed.
ice

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
dan, sup.

Yeah, it's a nice area, but it's a culturally diverse city (Ft. Lauderdale) and there's some real bad areas. Well, everyone's got a car, even bad guys, and boy isn't it fun to go out and rob some people on a Saturday night? (If you're a particular segment of the black male population in this area, apparently it is)

And yes, sometimes they'll targeted waiters or bartenders or such. I've known dudes for years that got got. A few hot ass chicks I know got stolen from at wee hours leaving their cocktail jobs. I always used to have my wine_key open with the corkscrew part sticking through my knuckles. When we used to allow open glass bottles in the streets (up until two years ago) If I were walking late at night downtown, I'd always carry an empty beer bottle to the garage with me.

Also, I'll speak frankly: These guys doing it in my area, are all black. Dumb ass thugs. Know what they're used to? White people being scared of them. Scared shitless in fact. That has more to do with the notion they may have a gun or will surely take a swing at you. **** that. Swing first, swing often, and kick 'em when he's down.

To whomever, I'm not really trying to be tough guy, or telling iRez what he should have done. If some big_bald_Russian(insert any badass) lookin' mafia guy rolled up in an Audi S8(choose your car) while I was taking pictures and jumped out bitching at me while I was photogin' I don't think I'd have stuck around. I have a personal space issue with strangers.

Having friends around is perhaps the best idea for street level excursions.
'Drew, whatup man?

no seriously, don't misunderstand me, i don't file you under the blanket e-thug clause, i've talked to you and have seen the pics of your exploits. i almost wanted to mention that with that post, but figured it'd blow over. guess not.

either way, it's really easy to talk ****, and for all i know maybe you all ARE badasses that could be extras in guy richie films, but i have my doubts. so in the meantime, remember that this IS the internet, and take me with the same grain of salt that i'm taking you with.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 02:43 AM

Here's a simple observation from a decade of working on the streets. Take it for what it is worth:

If you pull a knife, you better be prepared to kill the person you pull it on.

End. Of. Story.

Someone in the thread mentioned that they felt carrying a knife will give them confidence. That is easily said until you are in a dark alley, it is raining, your assailant is in front of you, and you have never practiced or been instructed on how to use a knife before in your life.

I have personally been at scenes where someone who was attacked pulled a knife. The end result inevitably fit into these three scenarios (in order of most common occurrence):

1) The person who pulled the knife was not intent on using it. They ended up having it taken away from them, and used on them. Remember that a weapon is useless without intent. I mean honest, plunge the knife into the assailants throat intent. Pulling a weapon without the intent to use it is a lame bluff, and one that will be picked up on by a predator in a heart beat.

2) The assailant was initially only interested in intimidation and robbery but was escalated to perform grievous harm on his victim BY the fact that the victim pulled out a weapon. In other words, "here's my camera" may diffuse the situation. "I have a knife" can cause the assailant, who HAS INTENT, to pull out their knife or gun.

3) The person being attacked pulls the knife, has intent, and uses it... killing their assailant. Welcome to the world of having committed a homicide, justifiable or not. In order to protect a couple of hundred dollars worth of personal property, you now have to live with the fact that you killed someone, may be brought to trial for that act and have to prove your innocence, etc.

These 3 points, to my 10 years on the streets eyes, are the realities of joe citizen carrying a knife to defend themselves with.

Just my two cents.

James L

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 02:50 AM

I've never been mugged but I've done my share of fighting.

A $300 camera isn't worth fighting for (unless you picked me on a bad day).

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2007, 06:26 AM

Vigilante justice, no matter how good it feels will probably just get you in more trouble. Let the cops handle it. If they can't find him, you won't either and you'll probably end up messing with some innocent dude if you take action when the police can't.

Thieves suck ass and should have their balls boiled in canola oil btw.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
Here's a simple observation from a decade of working on the streets. Take it for what it is worth:

If you pull a knife, you better be prepared to kill the person you pull it on.

End. Of. Story.

Someone in the thread mentioned that they felt carrying a knife will give them confidence. That is easily said until you are in a dark alley, it is raining, your assailant is in front of you, and you have never practiced or been instructed on how to use a knife before in your life.

I have personally been at scenes where someone who was attacked pulled a knife. The end result inevitably fit into these three scenarios (in order of most common occurrence):

1) The person who pulled the knife was not intent on using it. They ended up having it taken away from them, and used on them. Remember that a weapon is useless without intent. I mean honest, plunge the knife into the assailants throat intent. Pulling a weapon without the intent to use it is a lame bluff, and one that will be picked up on by a predator in a heart beat.

2) The assailant was initially only interested in intimidation and robbery but was escalated to perform grievous harm on his victim BY the fact that the victim pulled out a weapon. In other words, "here's my camera" may diffuse the situation. "I have a knife" can cause the assailant, who HAS INTENT, to pull out their knife or gun.

3) The person being attacked pulls the knife, has intent, and uses it... killing their assailant. Welcome to the world of having committed a homicide, justifiable or not. In order to protect a couple of hundred dollars worth of personal property, you now have to live with the fact that you killed someone, may be brought to trial for that act and have to prove your innocence, etc.

These 3 points, to my 10 years on the streets eyes, are the realities of joe citizen carrying a knife to defend themselves with.

Just my two cents.

James L
Very good points

I agree woth your assessment. Since I'm not a violent person (apart from cursing, I guess ), andy weapon I had would not help me at all, since I wouldn't really use it.
I'd give up what I have, rather than getting hurt.

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 11:02 PM

Thieves suck ass and should have their balls boiled in canola oil btw.
Ouch, but probably fair.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

spindler
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2007, 11:43 PM

iRez, it is impressive that you were able to get the license plate number. You obviously weren't scared shitless, because you weren't frozen and did realize to get the plate number. You did the right thing in not fighting back. Remember, the attacker knows the situation and has the high ground. You don't know what backup they have or how many people are in the car, etc. These guys all eventually spend a few years in prison, even if they get away with a few in the mean time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules